Title and statement of responsibility area
Waters Women's Institute
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1897-2000, predominant 1936-1970 (Creation)
- Waters Women's Institute
Physical description area
277 photographs : b&w ; 28 cm x 22 cm or smaller
0.003 m of cartographic material
0.14 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Waters Women's Institute was founded on November 4th, 1936. It was created by the women of Waters Township as a branch of the pre-existing Women’s Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. President of the Sudbury District Women’s Institute Mrs. C. M. Weller, and Mrs. L. S. Eiler, Secretary-Treasurer, gave a presentation on Women Institutes in the old white school house in Waters. The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. The Institute helped local schools both financially and as volunteers, gave classes in homes on homemaking subjects for free, sponsored girl clubs, gave financially to charities, trained women in leadership, and brought the rural mail delivery service to Waters in 1939. They also improved the cemetery with the memorial fund in 1960 and took it upon themselves to document the history of Waters Township with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks.
Former Presidents of the Waters Women’s Institute include:
Mrs. Ida Moxam 1936-?
Mrs. Mevlyn Moxam 19-?
Mrs. Vieno Punkari (husband Herman) 19-?
Mrs. Jessie Hamilton 1949
Mrs. Ellen Lahti (husband Victor) 1949-51
Mrs. Pearl Glynn (husband Hugh) 1951-53, 1960-63
Mrs. Selma Ritari (husband Dave) 1953-57
Mrs. Iona Rauhala (husband Esko) 1957-60
Mrs. Nancy Jacobson (husband Charles) 1963-66
Mrs. Kathryne Stos (husband John) 1966-69
Mrs. Esme Rintala (husband Voitto) 1969-71
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the scrapbooks created by the Waters Women's Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
ACC2008-001, Waters Women's Institute
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series, File, and Item lists available
To research the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada Fonds, visit Library and Archives Canada and ask for R2976-0-3-E. http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2013-04-15T16%3A44%3A31Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=105509&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng
Further accruals are expected.