Forme autorisée du nom
St. Mark the Evangelist Anglican Church (Avonmore, Ont.)
forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
A congregation in Avonmore was formed around 1888 (specific date unknown). Land was donated by Oscar and Catherine Fulton in 1891 and the church was built the following year. St. Mark the Evangelist, Avonmore was consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on October 31, 1892. By 1904, St. Mark's Church had been greatly improved by the erection of a tower and a fine commodious chancel. The rectory, which was part of the original mission of Newington, Avonmore and 8th Line was sold in June 1961. That same year, the congregation of St. Augustine's, 8th Line was amalgamated with Avonmore. St. Mark's Church was closed in 1978 with the last service held on November 12. In the summer of 1982, St. Mark the Evangelist, Avonmore was deconsecrated and closed due to the need for expensive repairs to the building and the greatly diminished size of the congregation. The land was sold to Mr. Donald Duffy in 1985.