St. Mark the Evangelist Anglican Church (Avonmore, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Mark the Evangelist Anglican Church (Avonmore, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

A congregation in Avonmore was formed around 1888 (specific date unknown). Land was donated by Oscar and Catherine Fulton in 1891 and the church was built the following year. St. Mark the Evangelist, Avonmore was consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on October 31, 1892. By 1904, St. Mark's Church had been greatly improved by the erection of a tower and a fine commodious chancel. The rectory, which was part of the original mission of Newington, Avonmore and 8th Line was sold in June 1961. That same year, the congregation of St. Augustine's, 8th Line was amalgamated with Avonmore. St. Mark's Church was closed in 1978 with the last service held on November 12. In the summer of 1982, St. Mark the Evangelist, Avonmore was deconsecrated and closed due to the need for expensive repairs to the building and the greatly diminished size of the congregation. The land was sold to Mr. Donald Duffy in 1985.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places