Fonds F007 - St. Jude's Anglican Church (Mount Brydges, Ont.)

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Jude's Anglican Church (Mount Brydges, Ont.)

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object
  • Graphic material
  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00004 F007

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1886-2022 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Jude's Anglican Church (Mount Brydges, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

159.5 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(3 Jan. 1886 - 9 Aug. 2022)

Administrative history

Custodial history

St. Jude’s Anglican Church at 639 Bowan Street, in Mount Brydges, Ontario, was built in 1886. The Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Huron bought the land in an Indenture from Stephen Bond, of the Township of Caradoc, Co. of Middlesex, Province of Ontario on January 3, 1883, witnessed by the wife of the Grantor, Jane Bond. The deed was registered in the Registry Office for West Middlesex as number 9191. Approximately one fourth of an acre was purchased for ninety seven and a half dollars and composed of Sub Lot number eleven and parts of numbers eight and ten of Block “C” in the village of Mount Brydges.

Prior to the Construction of St. Jude’s, Anglicans in Caradoc worshiped in several other established churches in the area including: Christ Church, Delaware; St.John’s Church, Strathroy; or Burwell Memorial Church in South Caradoc. In 1876 a second room was added to the log schoolhouse on Bowen Street, holding their first services here.

In 1879, Rev. Charles Denton Martin (c. 1850-1883) was appointed rector of the Delaware parish, serving Christ Church and Burwell Memorial. It is during this time that he helped the people of Mount Brydges launch a congregation of their own. Rev. Martin came to Caradoc from St. Jude’s Brantford, naming the new church after his previous appointment. In 1881, Rev. Martin was succeeded in the Delaware parish by Rev. John Holmes (1836-1923), who also served the people of Mount Brydges and supervised the building plans of St. Jude’s. In 1886, the Wardens of the Church requested a mortgage “for a sum not exceeding $700,” to finish the Church which would not be paid off until 1899. On November 21, 1886, they opened for their first service led by the Lord Bishop, Maurice Scollard Baldwin, of Huron.

The new church seated approximately 150 people, and at the front of the sanctuary was a stained glass window installed as a memorial to Rev. Charles Martin, who was considered the founder of St. Jude’s. Twenty three years after the original construction, the bell tower was added in 1909.

In 1902, St. Jude’s separated from the Delaware parish, and formed a new parish with the churches of Melbourne and Christina. This only lasted a short while, as in September 1906, under the diocesan committee’s recommendation St. Stephan’s (Melbourne), and Christina were aligned with Muncey and Oneida, and St. Jude’s rejoined the Delaware Parish. From 1958-2001 St. Jude’s and the Church of the Hosannas of Hyde Park made up the parish of Hyde Park. In 2001, St. Judes, St. John’s (Glencoe) and Christ Church (Newbury), were combined into a new parish. This three point parish participated in joint services every fifth Sunday.

From 1902-1937 there was a drive shed at the back of the church to act as shelter for the Rector and Parishoner’s horses. A new Organ was purchased and donated by Dr. and Mrs. W.H. Woods, and installed in the fall of 1915, serving the church until 1980.The idea of building a Parish Hall surfaced in 1923, but was not erected until 1956.The new Parish Hall was officially named the Reason Hall after W.J.H. Reason on June 10, 1956. In 2009 the kitchen, hall and parish hall were renovated and in 2011, the pine flooring was refinished.

A Service of Thanksgiving and Deconsecration of St. Jude’s, Mount Brydges, was held on the 9th of August 2022.

List of Clergy of St. Jude's 1886 – 2022
Rev. C.D. Martin 1879-1881
Rev. J. Holmes 1881-1885
Rev. S.R. Asbury 1885-1892
Rev. T.H. Brown 1892-1902
Rev. T. Hicks 1902-1905
Rev. R.J. Seton-Adamson 1906-1908
Rev. G.J. Abey 1909
Rev. F. Leigh 1909-1914
Rev. W.H. Hartley 1914-1919
Rev. E.H. Croly 1919-1929
Rev. J. Graham 1929-1935
Rev. F. Rickard 1935-1940
Rev. W.C. Allison 1940-1955
Rev. W.W. McIlveen
Rev. Dr. J.A.. Waring 1958-1960
Rev. L. Jacklin 1960-1971
Archdeacon Alford Abraham 1971-1974
Rev. E. Chapman 1974-1989
Rev. Bob Dann 1989-1991
Rev. Greg Gilson 1991
Rev. T. Falkner 1991-1995
Rev. D. Sim 1996-2001
Rev. C. Crawford 2001-2009
Rev. K. Metelak 2009
Rev. Bonnie Rayner

Scope and content

Fonds reflects the administrative history of St. Jude’s Anglican Church in Mount Brydges, Ontario and its role in the community from its consecration in 1886 to its deconsecration and closure in 2022. These records are organized into five series and three sous-fonds.

Series included:

  • History
  • Administration
  • Ministry
  • Media
  • Building

Sous-fonds included:

  • Women's Auxiliary
  • Anglican Young People's Association
  • Women’s Inter-Church Council of Canada

Notes area

Physical condition

Collection in good physical condition. Some early Parish Council and Women's Auxiliary notes have become quite fragile.

Immediate source of acquisition

St. Jude's, Mount Brydges

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      The V.P. Cronyn Archives reserve the right to restrict access to the collection depending on the physical condition of the material and the purpose of research at the discretion of the archivist.
      Clergy personnel files are restricted from access until 100 years after the death of the cleric AND their spouse (whichever date comes later).
      No researcher will be permitted access to materials containing sensitive, confidential, or personal information such as health records, compensation records, or other materials deemed restricted by the Archivist or by donor agreement.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Access for research does not immediately grant permission for reproduction, display, or publication. Use of materials for these purposes must be requested and permission granted in writing.

      Finding aids

      Series and file lists available.
      Box list available.

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      No further accruals are expected.

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area