Fonds 6A S& 51 S28& 65 M3& 75 S5 - St. John's Church (Anglican), South March, Ontario fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Church (Anglican), South March, Ontario fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA ON00006 6A S& 51 S28& 65 M3& 75 S5

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1839-1999 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

37 cm of textual records 18 photographs : b&w and col. 1 album Service registers fragile.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Services were held in March Township as early as 1825. The cornerstone for a church in South March was laid by Mrs. Lloyd, wife of General Arthur Lloyd, on July 22, 1839. St. John's was built of field stone in 1840, along with the rectory. The first service was held on April 15th of the same year. St. John's, South March was consecrated by Bishop Charles Hamilton on July 3, 1896. The congregation celebrated their centenary in 1940 by a complete renovation of the interior of the church. The 120th anniversary of St. John's was celebrated in July of 1960 and the 150th was marked in 1989-1990. St. John's, South March is part of the parish of March with St. Mary's, North March and St. Paul's, Dunrobin.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. John's congregation in South March, Ontario. It includes vestry records, 1949-1985, service registers, 1933-1975, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, historiography, guest books, service bulletins, newsclippings, and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. John's, South March.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.

Finding aids

Index for parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

General note

Most photographs are encapsulated.

General note

Parish history published c 1989.

General note

The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of March.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres