Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John's Anglican Church Papers
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Loucks, Barbara
- Port Hope, Municipality of
Physical description area
0.01m textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Barbara Frances Loucks was the only child of Victoria Alberta Stuart Grant and Charles Frederick Haultain. Victoria Alberta Stuart Grant (1897-1974) was the eldest daughter of Josephine Stuart and Albert Grant. She was born at Ballinturan, on Rose Glen Road, Port Hope. Victoria was a goddaughter of Queen Victoria and was presented with a silver Christening cup in 1897. Albert Grant (1852-1921) was the fifth son of John Grant and Elizabeth Robbie. He was appointed a ghillie at Balmoral, June 1868, but it is unknown how long he remained in Royal service. Albert later moved to London, England. John and Elizabeth Grant worked on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland. John was the head gamekeeper (or ghillie) for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Josephine Caroline Clare Stuart and Albert Grant were married in Port Hope on 20 May 1896. The married couple divided their time between Port Hope and London, England. Albert and Josephine are buried in Port Hope.
Donated to the Port Hope Archives by B. Loucks, 2006. Donor's family was involved with St. Mark's and St. John's Anglican Churches.
Scope and content
File consists of various documents related to St. John's Anglican Church, 1939-1954. It includes: (1) Victory Address presented in the United Church by Rev. J. M. Crisall, Rector of St. John's Anglican Church; (2) Suggestions for the Sanctuary Guild Women's Auxiliary to M. S. C. C., 1939. Belonged to Miss Etta Haultain, Port Hope; (3) Invitation to the service of Institution and Induction of the Reverend Leonard J. Baird, Rector of St. John's Church, Port Hope, 1954; (4) Christmas Cards, St. John's Anglican Church, showing a coloured image of the sanctuary.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
St. John the Evangelist Church was first established in 1822 on King Street in Port Hope. In 1867, members of the church voted to build a new church on Pine Street. On February 7, 1869 the first service took place in the new brick church on Pine Street.
Miss Etta Haultain, was donor's aunt. Henrietta Eleanor Haultain (1897-1996) was the daughter of Charles Selby Haultain and Henrietta Dennistoun. Etta was cremated and her name is on a stone at St. John's Anglican Cemetery, Toronto Road, Port Hope.