Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Belleville) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Belleville)
Physical description area
7.5 cm of textual records
1 high quality 6.3 x 10 cm scan
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On February 17, 1823 the Surveyor General Thomas Ridout approved an Order of Council allowing John Turnbull, William H. Wallbridge, William Zwick, and Roswell Leavens of the Town of Belleville; and Charles Bonisted of the Township of Sydney to form a Presbyterian Church in Belleville on Lots 30 and 31 on the east side of Church Street at the corner of Victoria Avenue. The minister's house was built off Church Street below the Armory. The first church was erected on that spot in 1830, known as old St. Andrew's and the first reverend was Reverend James Ketchan who left for Scotland in 1844. St. Andrew's was then left without its own minister for five years. Up until 1858 the church was lit by tallow candles, at which time gas was secured by laying a main to the corner of John and Hotel Streets. A manse for the pastor was built on George Street in 1866.
In 1870, a brick building replaced the existing wooden structure. This building, which contained Belleville's only chime bells, was destroyed by fire in 1894. The current building was build in 1895 and sits about 800 people. In the time between the church fire and the new edifice being built, the congregation met at the Ontario Business School. By the end of 1923 St. Andrew's membership was 395. In 1925, the church voted against entering the United Church of Canada, however many left after the vote including the church's leader, Reverend A.S. Kerr who was replaced by R.G. Stewart.
The postwar boom saw the congregation grow, as membership reached 770 by 1954. However, attendance began to decline at the end of the twentieth century.
St. Andrew's first woman minister, Reverend Anne-Marie Jones, was appointed in 2001.
Talk 405 was donated by Gerald Boyce and the items relating to Queen Victoria's funeral were donated by Bruce Portt.
Scope and content
This collection is made-up of files regarding St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The first folder contains documents relating to the church's history such as a 1901 article in the Daily Intelligencer and a history on the church written by Kenneth S. Hill. The second file contains items of correspondence as well as newsletters. The two folders following this are 15 assorted annual reports and financial statements up to 1970. There is also a copy of a fund-raising proposal. The next set of documents are the minutes from the St. Andrew's Society from February 12, 1885 as well as a menu from the St. Andrew's Day anniversary from 1890.
Additionally, there is one file that contains notices, a program from a service dedicated to Queen Victoria's funeral, a list of soldiers from the congregation who fought in World War One, a program from Sunday, December 4, 1932, programs from Stainer's “The Crucifixion” from 1958, 1959, and 1961, the itinerary from the 1959 annual council meeting of the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the list to elect the church's elders from 1959, a program from the church choir's production of Handel's Messiah in 1960, a program from the Girl Guide – Brownie Sunday service in 1961, a catalogue of art painted by Allan and Donnah Cameron for an exhibit held in 1964, a program and an advertisement for an organ recital from 1968, there is also a 1968 retelling of a performance by the Ladies of St. Andrews Church from 1889, and finally a copy of Talk 405 given by Gerald Boyce on Anniversary Sunday 2006. The final file contains an array of newspaper clippings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, June 24, 2015.