Title and statement of responsibility area
Royal Ontario Museum of Geology and Mineralogy records
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3 boxes of textual records and photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Royal Ontario Museum was established in 1912 through the signing of the Royal Ontario Museum Act in Ontario legislature, and officially opened to the public in 1914. At the time of its opening it consisted of five separate museums, that of the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology (headed by C. Currelly), Palaeontology (headed by Dr. W.A. Parks), Mineralogy (headed by Dr. T.L. Walker), Zoology (headed by Dr. B.A. Bensley), and Geology (headed by Dr. A.P. Coleman). Each of these museum directors had been professors in their respective fields at the University of Toronto, with each department director granted no authority of decision, but merely recommendations to be presented by the secretary to the Board of Trustees.
The Royal Ontario Museum of Geology director A.P. Coleman's 1922 retirement brought in Dr. E.S. Moore as director. Moore would continue his directorship through a 1946 merging of the two Museums of Geology and Mineralogy, remaining director of the joint museums until his eventual retirement in 1949, where he would be succeeded by Dr. V.B. Meen. In the period prior to the merging of the two museums, the Royal Ontario Museum of Mineralogy passed from the directorship of Dr. T.L. Walker into that of Dr. A.L. Parsons from 1937, where he would remain until the 1946 merger. The Walker Mineralogical Club is founded in 1938.
Following a meeting of the Museum Board of Trustees, and joint determinations made by the government of Ontario and the University of Toronto, the Royal Ontario Museum Act of 1947 dissolved the ROM as corporation, incorporating it rather into the administrative and financial control of the University of Toronto. This relationship would continue until the 1955 ammendment of the Royal Ontario Museum Act which would see the amalgamation of all component museums under a single director, beginning with T.A. Heinrich until his dismissal in 1962.
Following the 1955 amalgamation, the museums and their collections were organized into three divisions: the Division of Art and Archaeology, the Division of Geology and Mineralogy (later changed to Earth Sciences in 1959), and the Division of Zoology and Palaeontology (later changed to Life Sciences in ca. 1958), with a fourth Education Division, each with their respective division heads. V.B. Meen acted as head of the Division of Geology and Mineralogy from 1955 to 1959, and later the Division of Earth Sciences from 1959 to 1964. Each division additionally employed curators, associate curators, and preparators.
In July 1968 a new Royal Ontario Museum Act is passed to formalize the separation of the ROM and University of Toronto.
Name of creator
The Royal Ontario Museum of Mineralogy was created in 1912 by Bill 138 in the Ontario Legislature. By-laws under that act allowed departments of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) to be designated as the ‘Royal Ontario Museum of…’. The Museum of Mineralogy was one of the five museums making up the Royal Ontario Museum.
The ROM was controlled and managed by a Board of Trustees, with each department headed by a director. The first director of the Royal Ontario Museum of Mineralogy was Professor Thomas Leonard Walker. In 1955, the ROM was reorganized, and the separate museums became divisions, with the Museum of Mineralogy becoming the division of Geology and Mineralogy (later changed to the Life Sciences division.)
Scope and content
Series consists of material related to the history of the ROM of Geology and Mineralogy, correspondence, and records on the expedition to the Chubb crater (now the Pingualuit Crater) in northern Quebec.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
3/10/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)