Title and statement of responsibility area
Royal Ontario Museum of Geology records
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Royal Ontario Museum of Geology
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Royal Ontario Museum was established in 1912 through the signing of the Royal Ontario Museum Act in Ontario legislature, and officially opened to the public in 1914. At the time of its opening it consisted of five separate museums, that of the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology (headed by C. Currelly), Palaeontology (headed by Dr. W.A. Parks), Mineralogy (headed by Dr. T.L. Walker), Zoology (headed by Dr. B.A. Bensley), and Geology (headed by Dr. A.P. Coleman). Each of these museum directors had been professors in their respective fields at the University of Toronto, with each department director granted no authority of decision, but merely recommendations to be presented by the secretary to the Board of Trustees.
The Royal Ontario Museum of Geology director A.P. Coleman's 1922 retirement brought in Dr. E.S. Moore as director. Moore would continue his directorship through a 1946 merging of the two Museums of Geology and Mineralogy, remaining director of the joint museums until his eventual retirement in 1949, where he would be succeeded by Dr. V.B. Meen. In the period prior to the merging of the two museums, the Royal Ontario Museum of Mineralogy passed from the directorship of Dr. T.L. Walker into that of Dr. A.L. Parsons from 1937, where he would remain until the 1946 merger. The Walker Mineralogical Club is founded in 1938.
Following a meeting of the Museum Board of Trustees, and joint determinations made by the government of Ontario and the University of Toronto, the Royal Ontario Museum Act of 1947 dissolved the ROM as corporation, incorporating it rather into the administrative and financial control of the University of Toronto. This relationship would continue until the 1955 ammendment of the Royal Ontario Museum Act which would see the amalgamation of all component museums under a single director, beginning with T.A. Heinrich until his dismissal in 1962.
Following the 1955 amalgamation, the museums and their collections were organized into three divisions: the Division of Art and Archaeology, the Division of Geology and Mineralogy (later changed to Earth Sciences in 1959), and the Division of Zoology and Palaeontology (later changed to Life Sciences in ca. 1958), with a fourth Education Division, each with their respective division heads. V.B. Meen acted as head of the Division of Geology and Mineralogy from 1955 to 1959, and later the Division of Earth Sciences from 1959 to 1964. Each division additionally employed curators, associate curators, and preparators.
In July 1968 a new Royal Ontario Museum Act is passed to formalize the separation of the ROM and University of Toronto.
Bereik en inhoud
Series consists of annual reports, correspondence, and a history of the Royal Ontario Museum of Geology.
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Standard number area
- Coleman, Arthur Philemon (Onderwerp)
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
3/3/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)