Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • ROMA

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology (ROMA) was created in 1912 by a bill in the Ontario legislature, ‘An act to provide for the establishment of provincial museum’, known as ‘The Royal Ontario Museum Act. By-laws under that act allowed departments of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) to be designated as the ‘Royal Ontario Museum of…’. The ROMA was one of the five museums making up the Royal Ontario Museum.

The ROM was controlled and managed by a Board of Trustees, with each department headed by a director. Charles Trick Currelly was the first director of ROMA. In 1955 the ROM was reorganized, and the separate museums became divisions, with ROMA becoming the division of Art and Architecture, supervised by a head.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

[ROM] Art & Archaeology Division (1955-1963)

Identifier of related entity

Category of relationship


Type of relationship

[ROM] Art & Archaeology Division

is the successor of

Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Maintained by

Institution identifier


Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

3/3/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places