Mowat Manufacturing Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Mowat Manufacturing Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1888-1895

History

The Mowat Manufacturing Company was a foundry that produced grinding mills, plows, mowers, and other agricultural machines in Whitby between 1888 and 1895. The company was founded on April 6, 1888 and its President was Arthur Mowat. By early 1895 the company was unable to keep up with payments to the Town of Whitby so on January 9 the Board of Directors voted to dissolve the company. The Mowat Manufacturing site at 211 Brock Street North was the location of other agricultural foundries as early as 1854. By 1908 the facility was converted into a factory producing horse blankets and sweat pads. The buildings were eventually demolished in 1962.

Places

Whitby

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

foundry
machinery
agriculture

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Archives at Whitby Public Library

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Date created: unknown
Date revised: January 13, 2017

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places