Middlesex, County of

26 Archival description results for Middlesex, County of

Sister Lists series
CA ON00279 F01-S141 · Series · 1911-2012

This series contains records that describe administrative data about the Sisters including their membership in the congregation as well as any occupational roles that they fulfilled in education and healthcare. These files include handwritten lists, typed lists, directory books that list all the Sisters within the congregation and their contact information, and a booklet of Sisters’ feast days and the Necrology for Fall 2011 that lists the most recent deaths within the congregation.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F01-S010 · Series · 1982-2013

The series consists of records kept by the General Superior office for use in the administration of the community in London, Ontario. Material is primarily from the period during which Sister Margo Ritchie held the office, but it also contains material from when Sister Mary Diesboug and Sister Valerie Van Cauwenburghe held the position. This series contains twelve subseries relating to the operations, missions, and activities of the congregation. This includes the Medaille Retreat House, Josephs’ House, the Detox Centre, My Sister’s Place, St. Joseph’s Hospitality Centre, Elizabeth Place, St. Stephen’s House, the Southdown Project, Holy Rosary House in Windsor, the Goderich convent, and the Sisters of St. Joseph in Alberta. There is also material related to the hospitals in London, Sarnia, and Chatham administered by the Sisters and the transfer of operation of said hospitals to the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance and St. Joseph’s Health Care Society. There is material related to the construction of a new residence, especially concerning the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards of the new building, and relocation of the Sisters from Mount St. Joseph to this new residence.

There is also material related to the various meetings of the congregation, from the more informal Community Days to the more formal Assemblies and Chapters. Chapters are formal congregational meetings where major decisions, such as amalgamation and leadership positions were voted on. There are voting records from the 2011 Special Chapter and the 2009 Oneness Project in this series. There are also reports from the Leadership Circle, Chapters, and committees within the congregation. There is also material from the Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Canada, an organization made up of all the Congregations of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. There is material from the Federation and the London congregation’s systemic justice efforts and the Sisters’ efforts towards concerning the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. There are various newsletters from the Federation and the London congregation. The series also includes administrative correspondence and speeches presented by the General Superior to the congregation.

In summary, the series contains letters, reports, speeches, minutes, voting records, newsletters, pamphlets, prayer books, agendas, meeting minutes, memorandums, postcards, photographs, correspondence, timelines and schedules, inventory lists, legal documents, meeting minutes, executive summaries, budget reports, reports, newspaper and magazine clippings, bursary reports, histories, bulletins, designs for stained glass windows, and property appraisals.

Untitled
The Hope Project series
CA ON00279 F01-S110 · Series · 1995-1996, 2009-2010

This series contains records relating to the administration for The Hope Project in London, Windsor, and Edmonton, and 61 applications for grants from the London Hope Project. The records include correspondence, brochures, notes, photographs, newspaper clippings, budget records, a booklet, applications, receipts, and business cards.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F01-S125 · Series · 1868-2005, predominant 1929-1980

Series contains correspondence, deeds, photographs, and newspaper articles about Mount Hope Motherhouse in London, Ontario before its purchase and while it was operating. Earliest records include a report card from 1868, a letter dated 1869, and an original deed of land dated 1883. Records from the late 1920s to 1960s include original newsclippings. Many of the records are undated photographs, photocopies, or typed histories and biographies. The latest record dated 2005 is email correspondence.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F01-S137 · Series · 1853-2015, predominant 1976-2005

This series consists of contracts, deeds, plans, and newspaper clippings relating to Hellmuth College from 1866-1952. There is a general history and photographs of Hellmuth College. The series includes photographs of the Chapel and Motherhouse. The series contains a description of the layout of the Orphanage as well as information regarding the day-to-day routines. The series also contains notes on the process of purchasing the Mills property and written summaries of ecclesiastical events such as the Eucharistic Congress at Mount St. Joseph in July, 1923 and the visit of Cardinal Villeneuve in 1934. There are also special issues of the Western Gazette and magazine and newspaper articles, including a biography of Bishop Hellmuth, and the building of the new Motherhouse.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F01-S009 · Series · 1945-1992

The first subseries consists of biographical chronologies and speaking notes including a presentation to the St. Joseph’s Hospital Board in 1987. Included are copies of her educational achievement certificates and information about her membership in Sigma Theta Tau, the National Honor Society of Nursing, United States. There are several photographs and newsclippings from various times throughout her ministry. Highlights from the correspondence include exchanges with Bishop Sherlock, Bishop of London, an appeal to the federal government for aid to Ethiopia and a reply from the Minister of External Affairs, and a letter from the Vice-Chancellor granting approval to establish at chapel at a mission house in 1979. Copies of speaking notes for a variety of presentations are included with event programs. An event program for her Feat Day in 1987, which included performances by the Chatham Mosaics and the Kent Players, is also present. There are several letters of congratulations and greeting cards. There are a few mementos of her trip to Rome.

Untitled
CA ON00353 AFC 203 · Fonds · 1798-1990, predominant 1856-1902

This fonds consists of letters, manuscripts, articles, poems, addresses, lectures, journals, reports, notes, reviews, invitations, photographs, posters, negatives, drawings, maps, receipts, crafts, electroplates, and other materials relating to Dr. Richard Maurice Bucke and his family. In addition there is substantial material related to his work as Superintendent of the London Asylum for the Insane and to his friends (especially Walt Whitman) and other studies.

Untitled
Heart-Links sous-fonds
CA ON00279 F01 SF07 · Sous-fonds · 1976-2014

Sous-fonds contains correspondence, newsletters, documentaries, project files, school donor files, publications, and records of the administration of and work supported by Heart-Links.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F09 · Fonds · 1989-2002, 2009, 2013

This fonds consists of records primarily related to the history and administration of the St. Joseph Health Care Society in London. There are some additional materials related to its responsibilities to facilities in Chatham and Sarnia. The fonds contains correspondence, legal documents, minutes and reports.

Untitled
Dr. F. W. Luney fonds
CA ON00279 SJH-F01 · Fonds · 1907 - 1974

The Dr. F. W. Luney fonds consists of 14 series (and 2 subseries) of records chronicling his scholarly beginnings as a medical student at the University of Western Ontario, his appointment as Senior Pathologist at Victoria Hospital, and the extent of his professional career as Clinical Laboratory Chief at St. Joseph’s Hospital until his retirement in 1961. During his career, Dr. Luney would enlist in the Canadian Army Medical Services Division during WWI, establish a Clinical Pathology Laboratory at St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1928, conduct extensive research in blood transfusion techniques, direct the opening of the Blood Bank Department and St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1945, establish private consulting services for smaller hospitals in southern Ontario, and create the Dr. F. W. Luney Fund to raise funds for the Medical Library at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Records of note include: well-maintained, original photographs of Dr. Luney and fellow classmates posing with a cadaver; records created to document body parts and organs donated to Luney’s private “Museum”; personal notebooks outlining his medical training and professional experiences; a selection of diplomas and certificates; records of his $5,000 donation to the Medical Library at St. Joseph’s Hospital; photographs depicting the two-person multiple syringe apparatus he invented; notes from lectures and seminars that he gave on pathology and blood transfusion-related subjects; and a 60th anniversary portrait of Dr. F. W. Luney with his fellow 1914 graduates.

Untitled
Sisters' Ministries series
CA ON00279 F01-S103 · Series · 1964-2007

This series contains records related to general roles and duties that Sisters held in their ministries. There are also records concerning specific professional roles, including homemaker, nurse, music teacher and teacher. Records take the form of handwritten and typed notes on the ministries performed by individual sisters in 1999, and lists of sisters that performed specific roles in the congregation.

Untitled
Chronicles series
CA ON00279 F01-S136 · Series · 1927-2005

This series contains chronicles documenting the history of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario from 1853 to 1979. The records are chronological accounts of daily life and major events at specific locations. Most include an index or chapter list. Several of the chronicles have photographs, correspondence, event programs, and news clippings pasted or tucked within. One chronicle, “Sacred Heart Convent Motherhouse 1950-1952 X9”, is made up almost entirely of news clippings. Some also have transcriptions of relevant correspondence included, such as letters about the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph in North America. The chronicles are a mix of primary recollections and secondary summaries of history.

Several of the chronicles were compiled, written, and collected by Sister Genvieve Hennessey. Variations of these chronicles are included, some of which are annotated, and there are inconsistencies between the versions. Sister Genevieve’s the “Chronicles of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London,” recounts the Sisters’ history from 1868 to 1928, the “Diamond Jubilee Books,” recount the Sisters’ history from 1868 to 1928 and 1933, and there is an addendum added to some versions of each volume which provide accounts up to 1954. Among these histories, there are also accounts by Mother Margaret Coughlin, Sister Placidia Walsh, and Sister Callistus Arnsby which detail local activities and pilgrimages to Rome and France.

The chronicles frequently note religious events and internal activities of the community such as receptions and professions, jubilees, election of congregational leaders, ordinations, changes to habits, and visits of prominent religious figures. Other topics concern the Sisters’ missions and ministries, such as travel arrangements, properties, events for the orphans, and the Sisters’ involvement in healthcare and education. Deaths of Sisters, clergy, and prominent figures, such as King George VI are also frequently mentioned, sometimes with the obituaries included. Local disasters and events are also frequent topics, such as the 1881 Victoria Steamboat Disaster, the 1925 fire at Mount St. Joseph, the 1929 fire at the Ingersoll convent, the 1935 earthquake, the 1937 flood of the Thames River, the first provincial election at which the Sisters voted in 1937, and the smog from the 1950 Alberta wildfires. There are also mentions of global events, particularly those that impacted the Sisters’ and their missions.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F03 · Fonds · 1930-2010, predominant 1963-2010

The fonds consists of histories for Killam, Galahad, Rimbey and Stettler hospitals that have been combined to create a history of the Alberta hospitals run by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Killam General Hospital was opened for the longest period of all these hospitals, and therefore a large quantity of the combined history is about this hospital. Along with the series for the histories of the four hospitals, there are series for commemorative and administrative materials. The fonds contains community histories, a timeline, staff listings, correspondence, newsletters, pamphlets, and photographs.

Untitled
House of Providence fonds
CA ON00279 F13 · Fonds · 1869-2002

This fonds consists of records that pertain to the House of Providence and Marian Villa. More specifically, it consists of histories, commemorative materials, and administrative materials. There are also records related to the Marian Villa Auxiliary.

Untitled
CA ON00279 F12 · Fonds · 1949-1996

The fonds contains Auxiliary meeting notes, a donations list, a chronology of St. Mary’s Hospital, written histories, newspaper photos, newspaper clippings, invitations, correspondence, reports, a pamphlet, a publication, memos, a photo album, photographs, and constitutions and by-laws.

Untitled