William E. Mason was born March 2, 1882 in Walkerton, Ontario to David Mason (a carpenter) and Mary Lindsay Mason. Mason was registered under the name William Edgar Mason on his birth certificate but his death record, obituary and grave marker record his name as William Edge Mason. The eldest of six children, Mason began a three-year apprenticeship with the Walkerton Telescope. First as a printer’s devil for the newspaper and, by 1900, as a journeyman printer.
On October 31, 1906, Mason married Alice Maud Tinlin (1877-1945) in St. Catharines, Ontario. The couple met when they were both working for McLaren’s Limited, a dry goods business in St. Catharines. Mason was employed at the company as the advertising manager. At the time of the wedding, Mason was working as a real estate agent in St. Catharines.
The Masons moved to Toronto, Ontario and William E. Mason worked for the newspaper, Toronto Saturday Night as an assistant foreman.
On November 7, 1907, the Masons moved to Sudbury, Ontario. William E. Mason worked as a printer for Sudbury Mining News. He became the printing foreman in the mechanical department for the new newspaper, the Daily Northern Star (later known as the Sudbury Star), which published its first issue on January 11, 1909. After the newspaper suffered financial difficulties, Mason acquired local business investments for the newspaper and became the manager and owner a short time later.
In 1927, Mason acquired the North Bay Nugget. He also started CKSO radio in Sudbury, with the first broadcast from the radio station airing on August 19, 1935.
William E. Mason passed away on June 22, 1948.