Title and statement of responsibility area
Magrath family fonds
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1759-[ca. 1975] predominant 1844-1893 (Creation)
- Magrath family, Erindale
Physical description area
26 cm of textual records
2 architectural drawings : ink and watercolour on linen ; 65 x 46 cm
2 plans : ink and pencil on paper ; 51 x 35 cm and 45 x 61 cm
2 plans : ink and watercolour on linen ; 93 x 44 cm and 34 x 45 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
James Magrath (1769-1851) was a Church of England clergyman who immigrated to Canada from Ireland with his wife and five children. He built Erindale, the Magrath family estate, near the Credit River in Toronto Township.
Magrath was born in County Roscommon, Ireland. After completing his studies at Trinity College Dublin in 1800, he was ordained and eventually became the rector of the Parish of Shankill. Due to conditions in Ireland which limited opportunities for his children, he left for England in 1826, seeking an appointment to a mission in the North American colonies. He was advised by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel to leave for Canada before being formally appointed.
In May of 1827 at the age of 58, James Magrath, together with his family travelled to York (now Toronto) via Quebec bringing with them seven tons of luggage. His household included his wife Mary, his children Thomas Williams (23), James (21), Charles Eneas (20), William Melchior (14), and Anna Cordelia (9), his nephew Charles Alley, and a female servant.
Once in Upper Canada, Magrath sought to acquire both land and a clerical appointment favouring areas near York. He purchased 700 acres near the Credit River in Toronto Township, having been appointed rector of the newly built St. Peter's Church (the Toronto Mission) thanks to the influence of Colonel Peter Adamson. He was formerly appointed to the mission by Bishop Stewart (of Quebec). As rector Magrath was charged with building up his sparse congregation under the authority of Bishop John Strachan of York. He also reported on the occasional visit to the Credit Indian Village at the Credit (also known as the Credit Mission); however because the village was a Methodist mission he did not attempt to involve himself further in its affairs.
The Magrath family built up a large farming estate with a main house named "Erindale." The family was influential in Toronto Township, arousing both public admiration and ire. The latter half of the Magrath's ministry was constrained by his ill health and marked by his concern for the welfare of Erindale, his children, and their growing families. He died in 1851.
William Magrath took over management of the Erindale estate. He also kept a store for a time. His daughter Mary married Arthur Harris of the Harris family of Benares in Clarkson. James Magrath was variously a proprietor of a general store, Credit postmaster, church warden at St. Peter's, and justice of the peace. Charles Magrath studied and then practised law in Toronto and served on the council of Trinity College. Thomas Magrath, who had once studied law at Trinity College Dublin before emigrating, became best known in Canada as a sportsman, a pursuit on which he wrote and published. Anna Magrath tended to the domestic affairs of Erindale.
In 1867 the original Erindale farmhouse was destroyed by fire. Another more extensive house was built the same year. In 1900 the village of Springfield-on-the-Credit (once called Credit) in Toronto Township (now Mississauga) was named Erindale after the neighbouring Magrath house and estate.
Note that the early fortunes of the Magraths in Canada found a wider audience due to the 1833 publication in Ireland and Britain of some of Thomas' letters (not those in this fonds) in a book entitled Authentic Letters from Upper Canada. This volume, edited by Thomas Radcliff, a Magrath family friend, was a contribution to literature aimed at potential emigrants. The book was republished in 1952 as part of the Pioneer Books series by Macmillan, Canada.
Radcliff, Thomas, ed. Authentic Letters from Upper Canada. Toronto: MacMillan, 1953.
Banks, John. “The Reverend James Magrath: Family Man and Anglican Cleric.” Ontario History 55, No. 3 (1963): 131-142.
The fonds appears to have been largely in the hands of the William Magrath branch of the family for some time. At some point the records reached the custody of the Sayers family. The fonds was donated to the Region of Peel Archives by Mrs. and Geoffrey Sayers.
Scope and content
Fonds consists largely of records created and collected by members of the Magrath family, including the Reverend James Magrath and his children, in the course of administering and occupying their farming estate (called Erindale) on the Credit River. Fonds includes correspondence, legal and financial records and ledgers, and plans of the estate and environs. There is also a small amount of material added to the fonds by later descendants of the family, including family histories and annotated transcriptions of the earliest Magrath correspondence.
The bulk of the correspondence consists of personal letters between family members, including James Magrath and his children, and most is written to Charles Magrath while on a trip to Ireland. Letters are largely concerned with family and personal affairs.
Note that the Magrath family correspondence includes occasional references to the activities of the First Nations (Mississauga Anishinaabe) people of the Credit area at that time referred to as the Credit Indians. The nature of these references is influenced by the perspective and prejudices of the Magraths.
The fonds comprises the following six series:
Series 1: Correspondence
Series 2: Legal records
Series 3: Financial records
Series 4: Family history records
Series 5: Erindale Estate maps and plans
Series 6: Transcriptions
The majority of documents in this fonds are fragile.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. G. Sayers. One sheet of the architectural plans for the Dwelling House was received under a separate accession (1989.084) from the Ontario Association of Architects.
This archival description comprises a partial revision of an earlier arrangement and description. Files have replaced sub-series and a series has been added. In the course of composing the earlier finding aid, items within files were marked with individual numbers which still appear on those documents. These numbers are useful in that they aid the researcher in matching documents with the corresponding transcriptions of those documents (found in Series 6); where this is the case item numbers have been noted in the current finding aid. Not all documents were transcribed.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
A significant portion of the fonds has been microfilmed.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Access to original documents is restricted when microfilm or typewritten transcriptions are available.
A detailed finding aid with transcripts is available for this fonds.
No further accruals expected.