Fonds - Lennox and Addington District Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lennox and Addington District Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1965-2011 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

40.5 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 120 photographs : b&w and col

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute was founded on October 5, 1992 with Mrs. Barbara Weese as the first President. As of 2009, Lennox and Addington District is still in existence. There were fifteen branches within the district when Lennox and Addington District was formed in 1992. These branches were: Amherst Island 1900-present, Millhaven 1955-1994, Hawley 1967-present, Maple Leaf 1914-2002, Wilton 1925-present, Camden East 1927-present, Reidville 1928-present, Tamworth 1921-2004, Roblin 1931-present, Victoria II 1936-present, Maple Ridge 1933-present, Grandview 1951-present, Centennial 1967-present, Hay Bay 1960-present, and Adolphustown 1901-1995. The main responsibility of the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Volume I of Lennox and Addington District Tweedsmuir histories contains information on the district history and the story of amalgamation, a list of officers, Tweedsmuir reports, curator reports, programmes, photocopies of newspaper articles, biographies, awards, photographs from the Napanee Fair and the Canada Day Parade and workshops. The Tweedsmuir also contains a list of locations where the annual meeting was held and a list of winners of various Women’s Institute scholarships. Volume II of the district Tweedsmuir is similar to Volume I in content. Specifically, Volume II contains certificates, information on projects hosted by R.O.S.E. (Rural Ontario Sharing Education), photos from the 2008 “Peek-A-Boo” calendar for Napanee District Community Foundation, and programmes from the Kingston Area Conventions. The district held a number of “Short Courses” where all of the branches were allowed to send representatives. Some of these “Short Courses” include Flower Arrangements and Rice Paper Lamp Shades. Recently, Lennox and Addington District made a substantial donation to the Lennox and Addington County General Hospital. Some of the curators for Lennox and Addington District were Mrs. Anna Hitchins and Mrs. Cora Reid (1994-1995), Mrs. Cora Reid and Mrs. Millie Roberton (1995-1996), and Mrs. Cora Reid and Mrs. Maysil Morgan (1996-2000). Some of the past Women’s Institute Presidents of Lennox and Addington District were: Mrs. Barbara Weese (1993), Mrs. Nancy Bye (1993-1995), Mrs. Marion Wannamaker (1995-1997), Mrs. Carolyn Lawlor (1997-1999), Mrs. Valerie Smith (1999-2001; 2002-2008), Mrs. Mary Morey (2001-2002),

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of two Tweedsmuir History Books, containing photographs and a record of accomplishments of Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute, minute and cash books, along with attendance registers. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Tweedsmuir history books Series 2: Minute books Series 3: Attendance registers

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives in 2004, with a subsequent accruals in 2009, 2010 and 2012.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist.

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials


Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres