Title and statement of responsibility area
Iona Station Women's Institute fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
October 18, 1928-1991 (Creation)
- Iona Station Women's Institute
- Iona Station
Physical description area
70 cm of textual records and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Iona Station Women's Institute grew out of a community club which was social but had an objective of service to the community. By a majority vote, the club decided to become an Institute and was organized on October 18, 1928 in the community hall.
The Institute did much for the community. Cards, baskets of fruit and flowers have been given to the ill, shut-ins and breaved. The schoolchildren were remembered at Christmas and with their picnics. Through the years, the Institute took advantage of the courses offered by the Department of Economics in preparing and preserving foods, home decoration, sewing, Parliamentary procedures, cultural activities, and making of hats and gloves.
Money was raised by quilting and selling quilts, holding card parties, dances, food sales, teas and garden parties. Contributions were made to the Wallacetown Fair Board and Shedden Fair board and displays were produced.
During the war years, a great deal of work was done is cooperation with the Dutton Red Cross. Socks, sweaters and scarves were sewn and sent overseas in comfort packages.
The branch assisted with the TB survey at the well-baby clinic in Shedden.
They have made donations to the Salvation Army, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital, the Bobier Home, Elgin Manor and the Cancer Society. Food and clohting have been given to newcomers and needy families.
The branch has sent delegates to conventions and conferences in agriculture, historical research and program planning. It has volunteered at the Wallacetown Centennial Fair and at the 1960 International Plowing Match in Springfield, as well as events run by the Elgin County Museum.
The Iona Station Women's Institute was disbanded in 1991, likely due to decreased membership.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the Iona Station Women’s Institute.
Fonds includes the following series:
-Tweedsmuir History, 1929-1984
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Tweedsmuir Histories compiled by members of the Women's Institutes of Elgin County are available online through the County of Elgin Women's Institutes Tweedsmuir Histories Digitization Project.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions