Showing 129 results

Archival description
Sports, recreation and leisure
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

17 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects


  • ON00120 023-1-.1-4-.286-17
  • Item
  • May 27, 1942
  • Part of Sudbury Star

One image of three men building a boathouse for the Sudbury Canoe Club on the shores of Lake Ramsey in Sudbury, Ontario.


  • ON00120 023-1-.1-4-.286-18
  • Item
  • May 27, 1942
  • Part of Sudbury Star

One image of three men building a boathouse for the Canoe Club on the shores of Lake Ramsey in Sudbury, Ontario.

"60 Years on Ice" the Port Hope Figure Skating Club

Item is an edition of "60 Years on Ice" a publication of the Port Hope Figure Skating Club Inc., 13 Mar 2010. The programme includes photographs of each skating team and information about their performance at the 60th anniversary event.

8mm Film

Series consists of films significant to the history of Trinity College School. Included are student-made films and film recordings of football games.

A.A. Harcourt Vernon Photo Albums

Consists of two albums containing photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits depicting life at Trinity College School circa 1911-1912. Also contains rugby and drama programmes. Curated by A.A. Harcourt Vernon.

Administrative Scrapbook 1926

This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings and programs detailing special events at the school during this time. Also included are examination schedules and results as well as correspondence from the headmaster regarding internal affairs.

Antony Nanton '56 Scrapbook

This scrapbook contains many photos, telegrams, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Antony Nanton who attended Trinity College School from 1947-1956.


Series consists of objects related to Trinity College School athletics.

Included are signed championship footballs and rugby balls, and boxing gloves.

Beaver Athletic Association 30th Anniversary Programme

Item is a 30th Anniversary Programme created for the Beaver Athletic Association (BAA) by Dave Doherty. Dave has signed the booklet to Tom on the front cover. Programme reviews the history of the BAA in Port Hope and was released during the Young Canada Day Weekend February 8-9, 1980. Primarily a photographic history of the BAA, most of the photographs have been identified. Also contains local advertising. Removed from Long Cabinets "Sports Teams."

Belleville Fire Department collection

  • CA ON00156 2016-29
  • Collection
  • 1910-2015

Materials collected by the Belleville Fire Department from members and former members of the department. They include photographs, correspondence, press clippings and fire call logs.

Bert Gooch Photo Album

This photo album contains photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits at Trinity College School circa 1921-1923. Donated by Bert Gooch.

Bloor Cycle Racing Team Documents

File consists of details and correspondence regarding the bicycle race with the Bloor Cycle Racing Team. Papers are related to the Port Hope Cycling Grande Prix and the Molson Port Hope Grande Prix both held on 11 Aug 1984.

Port Hope Sesquicentennial Planning Committee

Board of Parks Management Minutes

A Cemetery and Parks Committee appears to have been established in the fall of 1901 as a 5-member sub-committee of Council. For the period 1904-1905, the committee was chaired by J.E. Dean. There is no indication of how park and cemetery functions were directed after 1905 as there are no references to the committee within the Fort William council minutes, and no remaining minutes for this or any related Committee until the formulation of the Parks Board in 1910.

After public consultation in the form of a plebiscite, and the adoption of By-law 735, the Board of Parks Management was created in 1910 under the authority of the Ontario Public Parks Act. The original public petition for the Board of Parks Management is available in the Fort William City Clerks files. (TBA 4 – File 131 entitled Parks Board 1910-1920)

Appointments to the Parks Board were formally established by Council on January 11 1910, with the first regular meeting of the Board of Parks Management held January 28th, 1910, chaired by W. A. Dowler.

Early ventures for the Board of Parks Management included the acquisition and control of existing park properties, boulevards, and the hiring of a landscape architect. The Parks Board undertook improvements to various park properties, scheduled use of park facilities and maintained a greenhouse. In addition to developing Chippewa Park and leasing cabins on Sandy Beach, the board assumed responsibility for the management of city cemeteries at various points after 1917. The Parks Board undertook responsibility for the formation of outdoor skating rinks in 1942, participated in the initiative to establish a skiing facility near Mount McKay in 1947 and undertook the Fort William Centennial Conservatory Project in the late 1960s.

Recreational committees began to surface as early as 1943 with an appointment of a Special Recreational Committee on March 15. Later, under the authority of By-law 4263 (1949) the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee was established to provide a program of community recreation as prescribed under the Department of Education Act. As the functions of recreation and parks committees were similar, Council passed a motion for the Board of Parks Management to assume the Civic recreation program in 1952. To avoid the requirement for a public plebiscite for the dissolution of the two boards and the creation of a new board to manage both functions, Council resolved the issue through By-law 4492, which passed and received approval from the Ontario Department of Education in 1952. This by-law allowed council to appointment members of Board of Parks to the Civic Recreation Committee. Both committees maintained separate minutes, but were in effect managed under the Board of Parks Management. Minutes (January 1966 to January 1967) for the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee are bound with the Board of Parks Management Minutes 1964-1965. Minutes for the Fort William Board of Parks Management end in 1969 due to the amalgamation of the City of Fort William and Port Arthur.

This Series Consists of meeting minutes relating to the management of Parks and Cemeteries for the City of Fort William. Eleven bound volumes exist, for which there are no indices. The first volume for the Board of Parks Management, dated January 28, 1910 to December 3, 1917, contains the originating By-law 1. Some Newspaper clippings and reports are interspersed. After 1935 the minutes reflect a growing structure for parks management. Reports from the Inside Park Committee, Chippewa Park Outside Committee, McKellar Park Committee, Finance Committee and a Tourist Committee are included for the period 1935-1936. While it appears that the first four are sub-committees to the Parks Board, the Tourist committee appears to be a committee of council with representation from the Parks Board. Frequent progress reports are included from Mr. A. Widnall, the longstanding Board Secretary and Parks Manager and reports from various Chairmen.

Also included with this series, custodial history of which is not known, is the Annual Statement for the Fort William Board of Parks Management for the year 1949. Included in this document are the statement of receipts and payments for the year, as well as the operating statement and highlights of various activities held at and improvements made to the City's parks throughout the year.

Brant Agricultural Society fonds

  • CA ON00031 A960.066
  • Fonds
  • 1862-1897

This fonds consists of the Brant Agricultural Society minute book (1862-1875), containing the minutes of directors' and annual membership meetings, which took place in Walkerton, reflecting the concerns and activities of the Society, as well as lists of competitors in the Brant Agricultural Exhibition / Annual Fall Fair. It also consists of a membership book containing the names and post offices of subscribers / members of the Society from 1868-1896, with information about dues paid. Enclosed in the membership book is "An Act to Further Improve the Agriculture and Arts Act, 1895"

Brant Agricultural Society

Bruce Marshall Collection

  • Collection
  • [ca. 1955-1975]

Fonds consists of 36 photographs collected by Bruce Marshall. Many of the photographs are of minor hockey teams, many of which were connected to St. Thomas, Ontario.

Marshall, Bruce

Bryce M. Taylor fonds

  • CA ON00370 F0426
  • Fonds
  • 1967-1987

The fonds consists of correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, and Bryce M. Taylor's related material of the XV Olympic Winter Games Organizing Committee, and the Canadian Olympic Association, (1983-1988), detailing the planning for the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics. It also includes material from the National Advisory Council on Fitness and Amateur Sport, including correspondence, minutes of meetings, annual reports, (1986-1987). In addition, there is material from the Canadian Gymnastics Association, (1975), and proposals for athletic programmes at York University, including a proposal for football (1967).

Taylor, Bryce, 1933-1989

Buck Kyle fonds

  • CA ON00408 F035
  • Fonds
  • 1977-1981

Fonds reflects Kyle's work in northern Ontario as a counsellor with the Federal Business Development Bank's Counselling Assistance to Small Enterprises (CASE) program. Fonds contains case reports documenting Kyle's visits to small businesses in northern Ontario communities and his provision of management services counselling advice.

Kyle, Buck

Cairine Budner fonds

  • Fonds

Records were created, held, or gathered by Cairine Budner over the course of her association with the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society, and other local heritage organizations and sports organizations.

The fonds includes

  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society

  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Historical Society, Thunder Bay Art Gallery (National Exhibition Centre), Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame

  • Oral history interviews created with the TBFCHS and Multicultural History Society of Ontario

  • Historical photographs and documents gathered from the community, including sports photographs, records of the Finnish Building Company, and minutes of the Nahjus Athletic Club

Results 1 to 20 of 129