Showing 27 results

Archival description
3 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
CA ON00279 F01-S108 · Series · 2005-2019

This series contains records related to the residence of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph located at 485 Windermere Road, London, Ont. The main topics are the design, and construction of the new building, its stained glass and metal artwork, public education efforts concerning the environmental features of the residence, the Sisters’ planning to move into the building, and the on-going administrative and community work of the Sisters.

A large collection of photographs shows the demolition of the old Medaille Retreat House and all phases of the construction of the new building. Information about the LEED environmental features of the residence are outlined in pamphlets, photographs, magazine and newspaper articles, event programs, and a CD-ROM Power-Point presentation. Brochures, flyers, and the scripts used by facility tour guides as part of the public education program provide detailed insight into the green features of the new building.

The series contains a copy of the Spring, 2013 issue of Stained Glass, Journal of the Stained Glass Association of America which has photographs and information about the stained glass mural commissioned for the Chapel entitled “Life Itself -That All May Be One” created by Ted Goodden. A sketchbook of drawings by Ron Milton used in the creation of the metalwork panels depicting fauna of the area which adorns the main foyer, and a magazine article profiling the artist are included in this series. A short description of the reconstruction of, and the features of the Casavant organ at 485 Windermere is contained in the series. Event programs and speaking notes prepared for the sod turning, land and building blessing ceremonies and the grand opening are included. Ancillary administrative matters related to the sale of the old Mount St. Joseph facility and its conversion to a retirement residence, and the granting of an exemption from taxation for municipal and school purposes are outlined in news clippings. The series contains is a 2010 study prepared for the Sisters by Deloitte, detailing demographic and financial projections, and recommendations to sustain financial support for the operation of the residence and the provision of needs-based care, assisted living, and hospice services to the Sisters. Minutes, email correspondence, and records of the Suites committee, deal with recommendations for facility uses, room allocation, the rental of surplus suites, and the need for additional staff to oversee administrative matters related to the suites. There are a few issues of a 2013 bulletin entitled London Neighbourhood Update. The bulletin provides information about administrative issues of concern to the Sisters, news from the Congregational Leadership Circle, special events, and accounts of the activities of individual Sisters. The bulletin refers to progress on the hospice project which resulted in the establishment of a hospice administered by a separate entity on the north and east wings of the third floor of the residence some time after the Sisters moved into the residence.

The records include a news release announcing educational bursaries for sole support mothers attending Brescia University College and Fanshawe College. News clippings report the end of the Sisters’ involvement in the governance of St. Joseph’s Health Care after 120 years, and the release of a commemorative book entitled Sister: The History of the Sisters of St. Joseph, of London published by St. Joseph’s Health Care. There is a collection of photographs of children engaged in planting trees at 485 Windermere as part of an Upper Thames Conservation initiative. A brochure advertising the cost of room and board at the residence for retreat days, week-long retreats, and companion retreats is included.

A press release sets out details of the Sisters of St. Joseph educational scholarship program, and news clippings report on the concerts performed by the Intergenerational Choir comprised of Sisters and local high-school students. Event brochures detail staff service award celebrations and an anniversary dinner celebrating the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph. There is a collection of photographs of Sisters during taken during the 140th the anniversary dinner of the Sisters in 2008.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
CA ON00154 2006.45-2014.22 · Series · 1968-2012
Part of ACO Port Hope Branch House Tour Papers

Consists of two ACO house tour pamphlets; one for 1968, the other for 2012. The following places were featured in the 1986 tour; Idalia, Dunain, Batterwood House, Durham House, Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Cartwright's House, The Port Hope City Dairy, The Port Hope Town Hall, Bluestone, St. Mark's Church, Dr. and Mrs. Robert McDerment's House, Trinity College School and Port Hope's Main Street. The following were featured in the 2012 house tour; 1 Barrett Street (owners: Rod Stewart and Masumi Suzuki, Home of: Victoria Rolph) 20A Barrett Street (owners: Rod Stewart and Masumi Suzkui, home of: Helen Bone) 15 Bloomsgrove Avenue (owners: Marielle and Will Lambert), 56 Deblaquire Street North (owners: Carrol Dizenbach and Hugh Levin), 4 Ellen Street (owners: Katherine and Greg Mcharg), 55 King Street (owners: Nancy Sanderson and Michel Sylvestre), 153 King Street (owners: Laurie Carr and Julie Mavis), 98 Ontario Street - Penstowe (owners: Betty Ann and Larry Knutson), Trinity College School - Levan Hall, Trinity College School - Visual Arts Wing.

Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, House Tour
CA ON00154 995.6.6 · Series · 1988-1994

Series consists of minutes and other papers regarding the running of the 1988 and 1994 ACO House Tours respectively.

Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, House Tour
CA ON00154 995.51 · Series · 1983-2001

Series consists of House Tour information for the following properties: 65 Thomas Street, Coach House at Hill and Dale, 8 Baldwin Street, 71 Augusta Street, 59 King Street, "Muidar;" and House Tour posters from the following years: 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 2001.

Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, House Tour
CA ON00154 2014.22-2014.22.1 · Series · 1968
Part of "Uncle Tom's Cabinet" Collection

Series consists of two ACO house tour pamphlets; one for 1968, the other for 2012. The following places were featured in the 1986 tour; Idalia, Dunain, Batterwood House, Durham House, Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Cartwright's House, The Port Hope City Dairy, The Port Hope Town Hall, Bluestone, St. Mark's Church, Dr. and Mrs. Robert McDerment's House, Trinity College School and Port Hope's Main Street.

CA ON00154 2000.9-2000.9.4 · Series · 1955-1966
Part of Port Hope and District Hospital Fonds

Series consists of material pertaining to the building of the Port Hope & District Hospital. It includes: Several rolls of hospital building plans and specifications; Construction Disbursements Ledger, 1955-1963; Records of contributions to the Building Fund; Minutes of the Building Committee, 1956-1958; Survey Analysis and Plan for the Port Hope and District Hospital prepared by G. A. Brakeley & Co., 1962; Hospital Building Fund, 1963-1966; Journal of Construction.

Port Hope & District Hospital
Building Permit Registers
CA ON00372 11 · Series · 1907-1969
Part of City of Fort William fonds

Outlined in By-law 325 (1903), the duties of the Building Inspector included the examination of construction of buildings and repairs, making the Office of the Building Inspector a likely candidate for the responsibility of the Fort William building permit registers. Through reviewing annual reports (Series 16) it appears that the office of the Building Inspector came under the direction of the Fire Water and Light Committee.

Arranged numerically by year and permit number, registers (Between 1912 and 1972) generally include the following details:
permit number, date, owner, information on the location of the building including lot, block, plan, street and address, a description of the building including construction details of walls, foundations and roof, the names of architect/contractor and plumber/electrician, the costs of the construction, any fees charged and the purpose of the permit. Monthly summaries give the
totals for different categories of construction such as duplexes, single dwellings, sheds, commercial and institutional buildings.

The earliest building permits (1907-1911) do not include details regarding the contractor, builder, plumber or electrician, but still provide a description of the purpose of building and value attached to the construction.

This series consists of bound volumes with details of construction completed under a permit number. There is no index to permit numbers, by name or property. Researchers must know the approximate year of the construction for a property in order to search, page by page, for the street address.

CA ON00279 F01-S126 · Series · 1966-1982, 2006

This series consists of committee reports by the Religious Education Program’s committees, of constitutions for the Sisters’ Council, of correspondence to and from the Sisters’ Council, of two newsclippings, and one agenda with hymns and prayers, and correspondence related to the Diocese of London’s 150th anniversary, of the treasurer’s report presented to the Sisters’ Council, of a study on the use of Chapels of Reservation, of membership lists for the Sisters’ Council, of newsletters created by the Council as well as by the Sisters’ Committee of the Essex Deanery, of questionnaires and correspondence related to the planning of the Study Days planned by the Sisters’ Council, and of the minutes, agendas, and surveys and questionnaires to aid event planning during the Sisters’ Council’s meetings.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
CA ON00154 2015.25-2015.25.13 · Series · 1978-1988
Part of Long Family Collection

Series consists of newspaper clippings, and correspondence related to a study of the Downtown and Harbourfront areas of Port Hope, 1978-1988.

CA ON00372 403 · Series · 1909-2008
Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

Contains reports and studies prepared primarily by consultants for Engineering Division and other City departments related to a variety of projects. Topics include traffic, water treatment, landfills, soil quality, and urban planning, among others. Most reports are post-1970 but the series also includes reports prepared for the former Cities of Fort William and Port Arthur.

CA ON00279 F01-S010 · Series · 1982-2013

The series consists of records kept by the General Superior office for use in the administration of the community in London, Ontario. Material is primarily from the period during which Sister Margo Ritchie held the office, but it also contains material from when Sister Mary Diesboug and Sister Valerie Van Cauwenburghe held the position. This series contains twelve subseries relating to the operations, missions, and activities of the congregation. This includes the Medaille Retreat House, Josephs’ House, the Detox Centre, My Sister’s Place, St. Joseph’s Hospitality Centre, Elizabeth Place, St. Stephen’s House, the Southdown Project, Holy Rosary House in Windsor, the Goderich convent, and the Sisters of St. Joseph in Alberta. There is also material related to the hospitals in London, Sarnia, and Chatham administered by the Sisters and the transfer of operation of said hospitals to the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance and St. Joseph’s Health Care Society. There is material related to the construction of a new residence, especially concerning the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards of the new building, and relocation of the Sisters from Mount St. Joseph to this new residence.

There is also material related to the various meetings of the congregation, from the more informal Community Days to the more formal Assemblies and Chapters. Chapters are formal congregational meetings where major decisions, such as amalgamation and leadership positions were voted on. There are voting records from the 2011 Special Chapter and the 2009 Oneness Project in this series. There are also reports from the Leadership Circle, Chapters, and committees within the congregation. There is also material from the Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Canada, an organization made up of all the Congregations of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. There is material from the Federation and the London congregation’s systemic justice efforts and the Sisters’ efforts towards concerning the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. There are various newsletters from the Federation and the London congregation. The series also includes administrative correspondence and speeches presented by the General Superior to the congregation.

In summary, the series contains letters, reports, speeches, minutes, voting records, newsletters, pamphlets, prayer books, agendas, meeting minutes, memorandums, postcards, photographs, correspondence, timelines and schedules, inventory lists, legal documents, meeting minutes, executive summaries, budget reports, reports, newspaper and magazine clippings, bursary reports, histories, bulletins, designs for stained glass windows, and property appraisals.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
CA ON00154 2015.25-2015.25.32 · Series · 1955-1981
Part of Long Family Collection

Series consists of newspaper clippings and information on the Molson's Mill Art School, c1955-1981. It includes a type-written excerpt from "The Barley and the Stream" by Merrill Denison (1955). Articles were clipped out of the Port Hope Evening Guide by N. Tom Long.

Long, Norman Thomas
CA ON00279 F01-S123 · Series · 1912-2008

The series contains correspondence, newsletters, photographs, scrapbooks, postcards, diagrams, clippings, bulletins, brochures, programs, song sheets, posters, publications, dramatic scripts, and reports. This material is related to the history of the third Mother House of the Sisters of St. Joseph in London, which was called Mount St. Joseph. There is information about the construction of the building and detailed information about its special features and decoration, including the Immaculate Conception Chapel, and its grounds, particularly the Grotto. The records also relate to planning the construction of, and move to, the Sisters’ residence in 2007, and the sale of the Mount St. Joseph building and property. There are records which reflect communal life in the convent, including the various organized groups, events, and dramatic and musical entertainment, and menus, meal planning, and recipes. The series contains records related to men religious who served at the Mother House, and other Diocesan correspondence. Information about both Fatima Hall and Ignatia Hall can be found, including the various uses of space in these buildings.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
CA ON00154 2015.25-2015.25.12 · Series · 1930-1989
Part of Long Family Collection

Series consists of newspaper clippings, notes, correspondence and information regarding the Patterson House at 5 King Street, 1930-1989. It also includes N. Thomas Long's Civic Award Certificate (1989), and invitation to the Town of Port Hope Civic Awards Ceremony, 4 Feb 1989.

Photographs

Photographs are divided into seven subseries:
A - Architecture
B - Arts (Theatre, music, dance, arts, crafts)
C - Business & industry
D - Churches
E - Communities in Northwestern Ontario
F - People, families, & genealogy
G - Organizations

Photographs

Series consists of photograhs depicting the people and places of early Vaughan as well as the post offices throughout Vaughan Township (Norberta wrote a book Chatting About the Post Offices of Vaughan Township, Ontario, published 1983), Norberta was also a long-time journalist with the Woodbridge and Vaughan News and thus some of the photos she used in her articles can also be found in this series.

CA ON00154 2016.16-2016.16.3 · Series · 1962-1975
Part of Edward "Ted" Fulford fonds

Series consists of research and articles gathered by the Port Hope Board of Trade, including Ted Fulford, regarding the potential implementation of the "Norwich Plan" for downtown revitalization, 1962-1975. For more information, refer to file-level descriptions.

Fulford, Edward Lightle
CA ON00154 2015.51-2015.51.10 · Series · 1954-1962
Part of Port Hope High School fonds

Series consists of various architectural proposals, including the original blueprints, for the construction of the new Port Hope High School at 130 Highland Drive, as well as an addition, 1954-1962. All of the architectural work was done by Barnett and Rieder.

Port Hope High School
CA ON00154 2015.51-2015.51.7 · Series · 1955
Part of Port Hope High School fonds

Series consists of various quotes for classroom supplies, construction projects, and furniture for the new Port Hope High School, 1955. It includes quotes from: John Morrison and Sons, Globe Furniture Manufacturing Company, Barnett and Rieder (Architects), W. J. Stillman Direct Factory Sales, Hospital and Kitchen Equipment Company Ltd., School-Master Furniture Ltd., Valley City Manufacturing Company Ltd., and a material reference list from the construction of Hamilton Township Public School.

Port Hope High School