Showing 100478 results

Archival description
19037 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
CA ON00340 F2853 · Fonds · 1875-2014

Fonds consists of baptisms, 1898-1915, marriages, 1897-1921, and burials, 1897-1914, of New Hamburg Methodist Mission (including Beverly); records, including marriage certificate stubs, 1875-1880, of St. James Methodist Church, 1875-1925; records, including baptisms, 1888-1917, of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Waterloo, 1888-1926; records, including baptisms, 1906-1968, marriage, 1896-1990, and burial, 1902-1934, 1954-1992, of First United Church, 1896-2014.

Untitled
CA ON00340 F3707-3 · Series · 1980-2011
Part of Reed Family fonds

Series consists of Missionary Kids in West China / Missionary Kids and The Canadian School in West China Newsletter, 1998-2011, correspondence, letters, clippings.

Robert Delledonne collection
CA ON00334 F 30 · Series · 1825-1991

This collection is rich in social and cultural history of the village of Lakefield in the 19th history.

Collection of Robert Delledonne consisting of voters’ list, Lakefield, 1945-53; Charles Percy, Trent Canal timber charges, 1896; Women’s Institute, xxx; Mavis Birch ledger, 1922, 1937; Village of Lakefield Treasurer’s book, 1875-1897; Clarice M. Kidd, scrapbooks, c1930s to c1960s; Lakefield schools, 1889-1978, 1991; Ayotte family papers, 1830s-1980s; Lakefield, Grand Trunk Railway, 1893-1902 including freight way bills, 1893-1902, ledger, 1896-97, assessment papers, ticket stubs, daily report logs; Lakefield News, scattered issues, 1900-1954; maps, 1883, 1950’s; literary manuscripts and drafts related to the Lakefield history, 1990s; research materials, scrapbooks, news clippings, photographs on varied aspects of the history of Lakefield; copies of township directories, 1857-1917, 1948; and copies of voter’s lists, land deeds and wills significant to the history of Lakefield. The collection includes many local history books and Dun and Bradstreet mercantile register, Canada, 1935, 1938, 1940, 1949.

The papers are organized in the Following Series:
A. Directories, 1857-1948, 1 cu ft; files 1-54
B. Lakefield and Young’s Point, 1856-1991, 2.2 cu ft; files 55-249
C. Lakefield Women’s Institute, c1970’s, .3 cu ft; files 250-256
D. Clarice M. Kidd Scrapbooks, c1940’s to 1960’s, .5 cu ft; files oversize 19-25, files 257-262
E. Schools, 1889-1978, 1991, 1 cu ft; files 263-285, 293-312
F. Ayotte family papers, 1830’s-1980s, 1 cu ft; files oversize 37, 38, 39, 313-357
G. Lakefield Grand Trunk Railway, 1893-1902, 1 cu ft; files 611-649
H. Lakefield News, 1990-1955, and other newspapers, .5 cu ft; files 358-385, 603-610
I. Maps and plans, 1883, 1950s, .5cu ft; files 398-440
J. Photographs and Postcards of Lakefield People and Businesses, Calendars; files 286-292, 386-397, 521-566, 602
K. Mixed Items, Lakefield and Peterborough; files 441-520, 567-601, 609-610
L. Lakefield history books

Untitled
Meeting Minutes
CA ON00279 HF02-S002 · Series · 1959-1979
Part of Mount St. Joseph Centre fonds

This series is comprised of Board of Directors minutes. Several Sisters of St. Joseph made up the board, along with community members and professionals. All of the actions and decisions the board took were based on the needs of the emotionally disturbed children. These documents chronicle the transition from orphanage to residential treatment centre. Topics discussed at board meetings included physical changes to the building, by-laws and policies, budgets, and the education and welfare of the children.Several committees were spearheaded by the board. The Childcare Committee was established to assist with the admittance, treatment, and care of the children. A report produced by this committee entitled, “Care and Treatment of Emotionally Disturbed Children” outlines and compares the needs of the centre with those of two similar institutions. It also includes information on residence capacity and wait lists. The Personnel Committee created policies and procedures for staff and volunteers, and material from this committee includes information about financial support for staff credit courses, representation at conferences, and salary schedules. The Committee on the Use of Mount St. Joseph began in 1976, when the board began to look for another site for the Centre. Several ideas were discussed, including a pastoral care centre and a senior’s day centre. The documents in this file outline the different ideas expressed for the use of the space.

Cool School
CA ON00279 HF02-S007 · Series · 1978-1988
Part of Mount St. Joseph Centre fonds

The Cool School was founded by Dr. Jim Anderson in 1971. Dr. Anderson was a medical professor at McMaster University. He studied learning disabilities in youth and spent his career providing alternative education to troubled youth. He was very progressive in his views. He spent time working with youth who had drug problems. He posted their bail, testified on their behalf in court, and made himself available to assist them in other ways. His actions with those deemed “criminals” by society made him a polarizing figure. He believed that drugs were a symptom of a much larger problem instead of being a problem in their own right. He won several awards for his efforts, including the Citizen of the Year Award (1975) and the Lamp of Learning Award presented by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.

The Cool School began in 1971. At first, Dr. Anderson counselled troubled youth and youth with learning disabilities in his home. When this was no longer viable due to space constraints, he moved his operation into an unoccupied building at Chedoke Hospital. After receiving an increase in funding the school moved into a much larger building in the hospital (renamed Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals in 1979), before moving to Mount St. Joseph in 1982.The Cool School leased the first two floors of Mount St. Joseph. Renovations were undertaken by the Sisters to accommodate the Cool School, and to upgrade the third floor where Sisters remained in residence. Apart from living in the same building, the Sisters were not involved with the Cool School.

By 1975, 15 Cool School graduates attended university despite their lack of formal high school credits. By 1977, two former students made the Dean’s Honour Roll at McMaster University and one went on to complete graduate studies.

The school assisted youth who were unable to cope with traditional education. Teenagers between the ages of 13 and 19 attended the school. These youth were referred to the school by medical or educational professionals or parents. In total, 81 males and 42 females attended the school between 1971 and 1976. It was reported that of this number, 35% were recorded as having a major improvement.

The school did not teach a traditional curriculum. Instead it had “four phases” that students completed in order to graduate. These phases were communication, history of ideas, the community, and correlation. The communication phase helped students build a solid foundation to help them with the rest of their studies. This included skills in critical reading, creative writing, and listening and speaking skills. The history of ideas phase taught students about history, sociology, philosophy, anthropology, and economics. The community phase involved students spending one week apprenticing at different jobsincluding with the clergy, banks, social agencies, factories, stores, and schools. The correlation phase had students fill in gaps in their knowledge and enabled them to prepare for the future. Emphasis was placed on self-reliance, budgeting time, developing social skills, and self-esteem in each phase. Students had to track their own progress. Class time consisted of small tutorials of five to eight students, where they shared ideas. The Cool School’s philosophy emphasized respect and belief in each child, and was based on Glasser’s reality theory.

This series consists of material related to the Cool School lease agreement with the Sisters of St. Joseph, discussion of the school’s philosophy on alternative youth education, and, invoices, tenders, and building requests. Also included are opening ceremony invitations and an address by Sister Ann Marshall. Finally, Mount St. Joseph School committee meeting minutes also make up this series.