Showing 5 results

Archival description
General Treasurer series
CA ON00279 F01-S012 · Series · 1971-2012

This series contains records created and accumulated by the office of the General Treasurer for the Sisters of St. Joseph in London, Ontario. The records are primarily related to managing the donations given by and to the Sisters and the funding for their ministries, missions, Motherhouses, residences, and outreach projects. In London, St. Joseph’s Hospitality Centre provided food security programs, Medaille Retreat House was a spiritual retreat centre for the Sisters, the Queens Avenue building was a home for women in need, and the Boulee Street house was a ministry to the poor. The Adult Spirituality Centre, St. Joseph’s Manor, the Foster Home on St. Rose Avenue, and Holy Rosary Convent were all in Windsor. St. Joseph’s Manor and the Foster Home were ministries to children in need and Holy Rosary Convent was the main convent for the Windsor Sisters. The Adult Spirituality Centre in Windsor provided spiritual direction and retreats. Another spiritual retreat, Marygrove, was in Aylmer. Outside of Ontario, there are records concerning the Photo History Project at Ataguttaaluk School in Igloolik, Nunavut in which Sister Mary Diesbourg participated, the Sisters at St. Joseph Regional House in Edmonton, Alberta, and the mission in Peru including the collaboration with Heart-Links, a London based charity focused on Peru.

The series includes reports, meeting agendas and minutes, mission statements, budgets, floorplans, funding proposals and requests, grant applications, forms, lists of Sisters involved with specific projects and sites, and correspondence concerning funding, donations, location changes, operations, and testimonials from the public supporting the Sisters’ projects. There are also resolution agreements from the Sisters’ projects. One agreement is with the sole shareholder of a company connected to a property owned by the London congregation, Marygrove, concerning the finances and leadership positions within the company. The other agreement is between the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary and the Sisters of St. Joseph to decide the future of the Adult Spirituality Center.

One of the ways that Sisters could request funding for their ministries from the congregation was through the Apostolic Services Fund. Arrangements for the creation of this fund, outlines of requirements to qualify for funding and funding applications are included.

Not all the material is concerned with finances. Some records pertain to other projects the General Treasurer was involved with, particularly when Sister Loretta Manzara held the office. In 2007, the Sisters moved from Mount St. Joseph to a new LEED certified residence at 485 Windermere Road. in the series includes records related to this transition such as the Sisters’ Statement of Values, reports, pamphlets, news clippings, an issue of London Citylife, and newsletters (one of which was titled Crossing Over). There is also material concerned with the sale of Mount St. Joseph, the former Motherhouse.

At the 2012 Foundation Day, the Annals Project was presented. It focused on a shift from keeping annals to looking at the life of the entire congregation as expressed through Chapter reports. Pamphlets, agendas, meeting minutes, and a report on this project are present. Accompanying this material are annotated photocopies of various reports covering the Sisters’ activities from 1959 to 2011 which were referenced for the project.

Records related to the London Sisters’ involvement in Goderich, Ontario are also present, such as correspondence and pamphlets about their commitment to the area and the 100th anniversary of the founding of the first convent outside London.

The series also includes descriptions of icons painted by Sister Mary Anthony Hartleib, as well as prints of some of her artwork (including on the back of her funeral card), and photographs of artwork by Philip Aziz. Other photographs in the series are from the mission in Peru and of students and elders in the report for the Photo History Project at Ataguttaaluk School.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
Education, Other, ON series
CA ON00279 F01-S119 · Series · 1972-1986

This series contains records from individual towns in Ontario where the Sisters of St. Joseph of the London diocese were teachers and principals. This includes memoirs and a photograph from St. Boniface School in Zurich, Ontario and a yearbook from St. Mary’s High in Woodstock, Ontario.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)
Frank Malinsky fonds
CA ON00388 MMA02 · Fonds · 1911-1972

Fonds consists of sermons of Frank Malinsky, 1911-1972; papers delivered at auxiliary organizations of the East District of Lutheran Church-Canada and Elmira (Ont.) community functions such as school dedications and graduations, Junior Chamber of Commerce and Town Council inauguration, 1936-1964; research files on individual cults, 1922-1954; college notebooks in German on world history, Greek, Hebrew, Latin and composition; seminary notebooks in German on homiletics, catechetics, dogmatics, religious education, theology, and exegesis of Luke, 1st John, Psalms, Genesis and Isaiah.

Malinsky, Frank, 1890-1984
CA ON00388 MMA13 · Fonds · 1963-1991

Fonds consists of minutes, constitution, financial records, church registers, correspondence, and architectural drawings pertaining to Peace Lutheran Church, Exeter, Ont.

Peace Lutheran Church (Exeter, Ont.)
Walter H. Wentzlaff fonds
CA ON00388 MMA14 · Fonds · 1927-1970, predominant 1927-1939

Fonds consists of sermons and papers of Walter H. Wentzlaff delivered at pastoral conferences of the Ontario District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

Wentzlaff, Walter H., 1900-1980