Showing 129 results

Archival description
Sports, recreation and leisure
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

17 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cairine Budner fonds

  • Fonds

Records were created, held, or gathered by Cairine Budner over the course of her association with the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society, and other local heritage organizations and sports organizations.

The fonds includes

  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society

  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Historical Society, Thunder Bay Art Gallery (National Exhibition Centre), Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame

  • Oral history interviews created with the TBFCHS and Multicultural History Society of Ontario

  • Historical photographs and documents gathered from the community, including sports photographs, records of the Finnish Building Company, and minutes of the Nahjus Athletic Club

Canada Games Complex Administrative Files

The Canada Games Complex, located at 420 Winnipeg Avenue, Thunder Bay, Ontario, was constructed as a venue for aquatic events for the 1981 Canada Summer Games. Construction began in 1979 and the Complex officially opened on July 2, 1981. The Canada Summer Games took place there August 9-22, 1981. The Complex was built to host swimming, diving, and water polo at the Summer Games, but ancillary facilities were also included in the interests of the long-term viability of the Complex as a total fitness and recreation centre facility within the community. Among its amenities are a waterslide, exercise equipment, a running track, weight room, facilities for racquet sports, a restaurant, and a pro shop. In addition, the Complex offers a wide range of fitness and recreation programs and courses.

Originally created as a separate department, the Canada Games Complex was eventually put under the purview of the Parks and Recreation Department. In 2006, the Canada Games Complex was under the auspices of the Recreation & Culture Division of the Community Services Department of the City of Thunder Bay.

This series contains records relating to the operation of the Canada Games Complex, including policies, procedures, planning, correspondence, marketing, program development, and involvement in community fitness initiatives

Canada Sea-to-Sea: Alexander Mackenzie Bicentennial Expeditions fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1988 - 1994

Records detailing the planning and execution of the Canada Sea-to-Sea Alexander Mackenzie Bicentennial Expeditions, 1989-1993, to celebrate the bicentennial of the voyages of Alexander Mackenzie, who was the first European person to cross Canada and reach the Pacific Ocean. Expedition leader was Dr. Jim Smithers, of Lakehead's School of Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Tourism.

Students traced Mackenzie's routes travelling by canoe and overland, and held events in communities along the way.

1989: from Fort McMurray, Alberta to Kendall Island on the Beaufort Sea
1990-1991: development of educational materials and full plan
1991: Lachine, Quebec, to Winnipeg, Manitoba
1992: Winnipeg, Manitoba, to Peace River, Alberta
1993: Peace River, Alberta, to Mackenzie Rock, British Columbia

Records include planning documents, brochures, sponsorship information, route maps, and reports.

Canadian International Air Show fonds

  • ON00421 RG 9
  • Fonds
  • 1928-2004, predominant 1969-1993

The Canadian International Air Show fonds reflects the functions of the CIAS Executive Committee as promoters and organizers of entertaining and informative aerial displays in 20th century Toronto on a national and international level.

The records are arranged and described at the series level, and each series has an accompanying file list. The fonds consists of eight series: Correspondence (RG 9-0-1), Subject files (RG 9-0-2), Information kits (RG 9-0-3), Meeting minutes (RG 9-0-4), Corporate (RG 9-0-5), Executive Squadron (RG 9-0-6), Photographs and printed material (RG 9-0-7), and Sound and moving images (RG 9-0-8).

Textual records in the fonds consist of correspondence, reports, surveys, promotional material, flight schedules, meeting minutes, and policies related to the CIAS Executive Committee, aviation performers, air show guests and sponsors, and CNE visitors. Graphic and printed materials include photographs of aircraft and performers, photographs of CIAS functions, and informational pamphlets.

Few documents exist for the years 1928-1930, 1956, 1967, and 1968. No records exist for the years 1931-1955, and 1957-1966. When the CIAS became autonomous in 1996, they retained their administrative and operational records from 1994 and 1995. Those records, and any new records created after that date, are the property of the CIAS and are stored in the Air Show offices or in an off-site storage facility. As a result, no further accumulations of records are expected for RG9.

Note: CIAS programmes can be found in series 4 of C 31, Exhibition Place Printed Material Collection.

Canadian Exhibition Air Shows, Inc.

Charles J. Seagram '36 Fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1929-1934

Fonds consist of two W.H. bronze medals (1935-1936) , a Hamilton bronze medal pendant and a Little Big Four Championship tie bar (1934).

Seagram, Charles J.

Community Recreation Special Events Files

This series contains records relating to the Thunder Bay/Duluth Friendship Games, including advisory committee minutes, correspondence, arrangement details, event schedules, media releases, newspaper clippings, photographs. Series also includes records relating to the Summer in the Parks event.

Copper Plate NHL Map of Port Hope

Item is a copper printing plate of a map of Port Hope. The map has the town divided into NHL hockey leagues. This plate is believed to be connected to the Beaver Athletic Association little NHL hockey league, 1940s-1960s.

Costa Rica Trip 2016

This scrapbook contains photos and anecdotes regarding the 2016 Costa Rica trip by students from Trinity College School.

Creighton Mine Athletic Association

  • ON00120 039
  • Fonds
  • 1951-1973

Fonds consists of one minute book and one copy of the Creighton Mine Athletic Association Constitution.

Creighton Mine Athletic Association

Creighton Mine Athletic Association Constitution

Item is a typed (top page of carbon copy), annotated, two page, seventh revision of the constitution of the Creighton Mine Athletic Association (C.M.A.A.). The constitution is broken into six sections outlining the governing rules of the C.M.A.A.: Name, Object, Membership, Organization & Officers, Election of Officers and Awards. The first constitution was dated on November 1, 1949 and was revised on February 17, 1952; January 31, 1954; February 13, 1956; February 5, 1961; February 4, 1962; February 21, 1965 and March 5, 1966.

Creighton Mine Athletic Association Minutes Book

Item consists of one minute book kept by the Creighton Mine Athletic Association (C.M.A.A.). Between 1953 and 1956 the meetings were held monthly at the Employees Club at the International Nickel Company (Inco) in Creighton Mine. After that period the meetings became irregular and were held every few months as needed. Each of the meeting minutes begins with a list of the members present at the meeting and a reading of the previous meeting's minutes. After the previous meeting's minutes were read, approved and passed, the group moved on to discussing carried over and new business. Business varied for the C.M.A.A. throughout the year depending on the season and which sports were in play at the time. Baseball, softball, soccer and tennis were discussed in the spring and summer, basketball and badminton in the fall and hockey in the winter. The minutes also mention how the C.M.A.A. funded a playground for Creighton Mine, planned a field day each year between 1951 and at least 1955, provided money for the upkeep on the Creighton Mine Rink and held an annual Christmas party. Fundraising events, such as bingo nights, dances, raffles, and parties to raise money to fund the activities they supported were also recorded in the minutes.

Cricket Photo Album 1910

This photo album contains photos of sports and recreation, as well as brochures, invitations and memorabilia of events at Trinity College school circa 1910. Provenance unknown.

Cups and trophies

Series consists of academic and athletic cups and trophies awarded to students of Trinity College School.

David Doherty Oral History Project Interview

File consists of a DVD including David Doherty's "Our Memories: Downtown Port Hope" Oral History Project interview; and a paper copy of the interview transcript, 2013. The interview was edited and uploaded to YouTube with the following description: "Join the Port Hope Archives as we speak to [former] PHA Board Member/Secretary, Dave Doherty, about local businesses and other downtown memories" and the Beaver Athletic Association.

Port Hope Archives

Deseronto Archives photographic collection

  • Collection
  • 1860-

The photographs are arranged by subject matter and cover activities in and around the town of Deseronto, Ontario. The majority date from the late nineteenth century and many depict the lumber-related industries of the Rathbun Company in Deseronto. There are also photographs of school groups, churches, railways, First World War airfields and portraits of Deseronto citizens.

Doherty Collection Sports Patches

File consists of four (4) sports team patches, c1950-1980s. It includes: Port Hope Redmen Hockey Team 40th Anniversary Patch; Port Hope Skating Club Patch, c1960s; Giffen's Hardware Hockey Patch (team and date unknown); Unidentified Port Hope Hockey Patch (donor was unable to provide additional information).

Donna Wootton Oral History Project Interview

File consists of a DVD including Allan White's "Our Memories: Downtown Port Hope" Oral History Project interview; and a paper copy of the interview transcript, 2013. The interview was edited and uploaded to YouTube with the following description: "Join the Port Hope Archives as we speak to Donna Wootton about local businesses, New Service Cleaners, the 1980 Port Hope flood, and her father, professional Lacrosse player, Lloyd "Moon" Wootton."

Port Hope Archives

Eldon Brown '89 Fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1986-1989

Fonds consists of a graduation scroll, three school crests, chapel program, ski team toque, seven Trinity College School buttons, steward plaque, Trinity College School bow tie, soccer jersey, two rugby jerseys, football jersey, and one cricket bat.

Brown, Eldon

Results 21 to 40 of 129