Showing 7 results

Archival description
2 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Missions-Arnprior series
CA ON00279 50-0027 · Series · 1994-1995

This series contains records related to the ministry in Arnprior, Ontario, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Pembroke diocese. The file contains limited information about this mission house. There is a data form, a brief chronology, and a note in response to questions about the mission.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
CA ON00279 50-0014 · Series · 1950-1975, 1988

This series contains records related to the ministries in Campbell’s Bay, Quebec, carried out by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Pembroke diocese. There is a papal blessing from Pope Pius in 1950 for the Sisters as they started their mission. There is correspondence, much of it relating to the building that was rented for the convent and which contained a chapel. There are a few parish bulletins, a newsletter, and newsclippings, as well as a manuscript history of the Sisters in Campbell’s Bay. The series also includes a souvenir booklet for St. John the Evangelist Parish from 1919-1989 which is illustrated with photographs and is in both French and English. After 50 years of service in the field of education, the Sisters were given a farewell tea in June 1975, organized by parishioners and the Catholic Women’s League. When St. Joseph’s Manor, a nursing home, opened in Campbell’s Bay on October 27, 1968, the Sisters provided care. There is correspondence related to this staffing the facility, donations, and the eventual closure of the convent, which took place in April 1982. There are also newsclippings about St. Joseph’s Manor and a program for the official opening.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
CA ON00279 50-0028 · Series · 1957-1963

This series contains records related to the ministry in Mount St. Patrick Ontario, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Pembroke diocese. There are histories, newsclippings, financial accounts from 1957-1962, correspondence related to education and the withdrawal of the Sisters from Mount St. Patrick in July 1963, lists of Sisters who served in Mount St. Patrick, and ephemera related to a reunion in August 1987 and a 150-year celebration in 1993 of St. Patrick’s parishioners.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
Missions-Ottawa series
CA ON00279 50-0018 · Series · 1964-2001

This series contains records related to the Ottawa, Ontario houses and ministries of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Pembroke diocese. The records contain annals, correspondence, photographs, and records related to renovations and property purchase such as invoices and a deed for the Wilbrod Street building. The annals are for Emmaus (Argyle Street) house, the Hull house, Laetare house, the Lebrun Street house, and the Wilbrod Street house. The Wilbrod Street house and the Lebrun Street house files contain a small number of photographs of the Sisters who lived at these houses as they took part in daily life, special events, and trips. Another file for Wilbrod Street contains a large number of photographs that were removed from an album, and depict the building, Sisters ministering in the community, and daily life. The series is interesting in that it shows experiments the Sisters undertook in community living and in vocation work.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
CA ON00279 50-0009 · Series · 1985-1988

This series contains records related to the ministries in St. Philippe d’Argenteuil, Quebec, carried out by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Pembroke diocese. The parish comprised about 550 families. The records contain annals, correspondence, photographs, a souvenir booklet, a newsclipping, and a few parish bulletins. The photographs depict the convent, Sister Constance Lacroix, one of two Sisters missioned there, and the church. The souvenir booklet celebrates the centennial of the arish in 1988. It is illustrated with photographs and is in French. The correspondence is in French and in English, and the primary correspondents are Sister Margaret Glofcheskie, the General Superior, Bishop Charles Valois, Sister Constance Lacroix, and two parish priests. The annals were kept by Sister Constance who arrived in the parish on August 31, 1985 to serve as the parish coordinator and a pastoral animator with the Laurentian School Board. The annals note interesting local events such as the feast of the cemetery held on the second Sunday in September during which people came to pray for the dead and to ensure the graves were decorated. As Sister Constance notes, “I felt that I could carry out what our first Sisters did in 1650, but I in 1986,” as she embarks on her ministry in the parish. She was to give guidance to parents for baptism, couples for marriage, and on burials. Sister Constance was joined in December 1986 by Sister Alice Meilleur.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
Missions-Tweed series
CA ON00279 50-0011 · Series · 1986

This series contains very limited records about the opening of a mission house in Tweed, Ontario by the Sisters of St. Joseph from the Pembroke diocese. There is a short note about the plan for Sisters Emma Castonguay, Clare Sullivan, and Mary Keizer to share a house on Irving Street in Tweed, beginning in June 1986, and to formally open the house on July 16, 1986. There is correspondence from Sister Margaret Glofcheskie, the General Superior, appointing Sister Clare as the local superior for the house. There is also a short note indicating that Sister Clare taught for two years at St. Cartagh’s in Tweed beginning in 1984. The school was part of the Hastings County Roman Catholic Separate School Board.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)
CA ON00279 16 · Series · 1948-2017

This series contains records concerned with the founding, ownership, operation, transfer, and closing of Radville Community Hospital and Marian Home. Primary topics within the records are the history and management of the two institutions, the minutes of the Governing Board, and the transfer of ownership. Records include invitations, event programs, speeches, pamphlets, booklets, a directory, histories, correspondence, news clippings, photographs, inventories, legal agreements and contracts, financial and insurance records, and facility policies and bylaws.

Notable items include a 1970 pictorial directory of Holy Family Parish, a list of Sisters who ministered in Radville, a list of 1949 donations for the creation of the hospital, a 1989 accreditation survey report for Radville Community Hospital and Marian Home, the minutes of the Governing Board, operational reports from hospital committees and staff, a 1980 consultation by the Catholic Health Association of Canada, and legal agreements concerning the ownership and transfer of the medical facilities and property. There is also some material concerning the estate of Reverend Father Earnest A. Yandeau, who left a donation to the Sisters of St. Joseph in Radville upon his death in 1969, and the Summer Extern Program, a program for undergraduate medical students to gain experience in a clinical setting.

The photographs are primarily of the Radville Community Hospital and Marian Home, the staff, the Sisters, the town of Radville, the 2017 memorial, and reunion events. The correspondence concerns the lives of the Sisters in Radville and the opening, operation, and relinquishing of ownership of the Radville Community Hospital and Marian Home.

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Pembroke, Ont.)