Showing 61 results

Archival description
Series Sports, recreation and leisure
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

4 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

"Central Ontario Lakeshore Sports Look"

Series consists of three (3) publications of "Central Ontario Lakeshore Sports Look." Publications are for Port Hope and Cobourg and cost $0.85 each. They are for week #1 (9 Feb 1990), week #2 (23 Feb 1990) and week #3 (9 Mar 1990). All three publications include; tsn tv listings, local sports information, stats, schedules and OHL information. In week #3, there is also information about spring training and a Jays and Chiefs schedule.

Long, Norman Thomas

8mm Film

Series consists of films significant to the history of Trinity College School. Included are student-made films and film recordings of football games.

A.A. Harcourt Vernon Photo Albums

Consists of two albums containing photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits depicting life at Trinity College School circa 1911-1912. Also contains rugby and drama programmes. Curated by A.A. Harcourt Vernon.

Administrative Scrapbook 1926

This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings and programs detailing special events at the school during this time. Also included are examination schedules and results as well as correspondence from the headmaster regarding internal affairs.

Antony Nanton '56 Scrapbook

This scrapbook contains many photos, telegrams, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Antony Nanton who attended Trinity College School from 1947-1956.

Athletics

Series consists of objects related to Trinity College School athletics.

Included are signed championship footballs and rugby balls, and boxing gloves.

Bert Gooch Photo Album

This photo album contains photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits at Trinity College School circa 1921-1923. Donated by Bert Gooch.

Board of Parks Management Minutes

A Cemetery and Parks Committee appears to have been established in the fall of 1901 as a 5-member sub-committee of Council. For the period 1904-1905, the committee was chaired by J.E. Dean. There is no indication of how park and cemetery functions were directed after 1905 as there are no references to the committee within the Fort William council minutes, and no remaining minutes for this or any related Committee until the formulation of the Parks Board in 1910.

After public consultation in the form of a plebiscite, and the adoption of By-law 735, the Board of Parks Management was created in 1910 under the authority of the Ontario Public Parks Act. The original public petition for the Board of Parks Management is available in the Fort William City Clerks files. (TBA 4 – File 131 entitled Parks Board 1910-1920)

Appointments to the Parks Board were formally established by Council on January 11 1910, with the first regular meeting of the Board of Parks Management held January 28th, 1910, chaired by W. A. Dowler.

Early ventures for the Board of Parks Management included the acquisition and control of existing park properties, boulevards, and the hiring of a landscape architect. The Parks Board undertook improvements to various park properties, scheduled use of park facilities and maintained a greenhouse. In addition to developing Chippewa Park and leasing cabins on Sandy Beach, the board assumed responsibility for the management of city cemeteries at various points after 1917. The Parks Board undertook responsibility for the formation of outdoor skating rinks in 1942, participated in the initiative to establish a skiing facility near Mount McKay in 1947 and undertook the Fort William Centennial Conservatory Project in the late 1960s.

Recreational committees began to surface as early as 1943 with an appointment of a Special Recreational Committee on March 15. Later, under the authority of By-law 4263 (1949) the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee was established to provide a program of community recreation as prescribed under the Department of Education Act. As the functions of recreation and parks committees were similar, Council passed a motion for the Board of Parks Management to assume the Civic recreation program in 1952. To avoid the requirement for a public plebiscite for the dissolution of the two boards and the creation of a new board to manage both functions, Council resolved the issue through By-law 4492, which passed and received approval from the Ontario Department of Education in 1952. This by-law allowed council to appointment members of Board of Parks to the Civic Recreation Committee. Both committees maintained separate minutes, but were in effect managed under the Board of Parks Management. Minutes (January 1966 to January 1967) for the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee are bound with the Board of Parks Management Minutes 1964-1965. Minutes for the Fort William Board of Parks Management end in 1969 due to the amalgamation of the City of Fort William and Port Arthur.

This Series Consists of meeting minutes relating to the management of Parks and Cemeteries for the City of Fort William. Eleven bound volumes exist, for which there are no indices. The first volume for the Board of Parks Management, dated January 28, 1910 to December 3, 1917, contains the originating By-law 1. Some Newspaper clippings and reports are interspersed. After 1935 the minutes reflect a growing structure for parks management. Reports from the Inside Park Committee, Chippewa Park Outside Committee, McKellar Park Committee, Finance Committee and a Tourist Committee are included for the period 1935-1936. While it appears that the first four are sub-committees to the Parks Board, the Tourist committee appears to be a committee of council with representation from the Parks Board. Frequent progress reports are included from Mr. A. Widnall, the longstanding Board Secretary and Parks Manager and reports from various Chairmen.

Also included with this series, custodial history of which is not known, is the Annual Statement for the Fort William Board of Parks Management for the year 1949. Included in this document are the statement of receipts and payments for the year, as well as the operating statement and highlights of various activities held at and improvements made to the City's parks throughout the year.

Canada Games Complex Administrative Files

The Canada Games Complex, located at 420 Winnipeg Avenue, Thunder Bay, Ontario, was constructed as a venue for aquatic events for the 1981 Canada Summer Games. Construction began in 1979 and the Complex officially opened on July 2, 1981. The Canada Summer Games took place there August 9-22, 1981. The Complex was built to host swimming, diving, and water polo at the Summer Games, but ancillary facilities were also included in the interests of the long-term viability of the Complex as a total fitness and recreation centre facility within the community. Among its amenities are a waterslide, exercise equipment, a running track, weight room, facilities for racquet sports, a restaurant, and a pro shop. In addition, the Complex offers a wide range of fitness and recreation programs and courses.

Originally created as a separate department, the Canada Games Complex was eventually put under the purview of the Parks and Recreation Department. In 2006, the Canada Games Complex was under the auspices of the Recreation & Culture Division of the Community Services Department of the City of Thunder Bay.

This series contains records relating to the operation of the Canada Games Complex, including policies, procedures, planning, correspondence, marketing, program development, and involvement in community fitness initiatives

Community Recreation Special Events Files

This series contains records relating to the Thunder Bay/Duluth Friendship Games, including advisory committee minutes, correspondence, arrangement details, event schedules, media releases, newspaper clippings, photographs. Series also includes records relating to the Summer in the Parks event.

Costa Rica Trip 2016

This scrapbook contains photos and anecdotes regarding the 2016 Costa Rica trip by students from Trinity College School.

Cricket Photo Album 1910

This photo album contains photos of sports and recreation, as well as brochures, invitations and memorabilia of events at Trinity College school circa 1910. Provenance unknown.

Cups and trophies

Series consists of academic and athletic cups and trophies awarded to students of Trinity College School.

H.G. Wotherspoon Scrapbook

This scrapbook curated by H.G. Wotherspoon contains newspaper clippings, event programs, and invitations pertaining to his life at Trinity College School circa 1923-1929.

Hugh Pullen Photo Album

This album contains photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits at Trinity College School circa 1910-1915. Donated by Hugh Clapp Pullen who attended Trinity College School from 1910-1915.

J.D. Ketchum Photo Album

This photo album contains photographs of students, staff, landscapes and recreational pursuits depicting life at Trinity College School circa 1919-1921. Arranged by J.D. Ketchum.

Ketchum Diaries

Consists of seven diaries, 1914-1917 and 1920-1922 recording the daily life of Phillip Ketchum. Philip Allan Cheyne Ketchum was born July 20, 1899 in Cobourg, Ontario to parents Judge and Mrs. Ketchum. He attended Trinity College School from 1912 to 1916. Following matriculation he served as a Junior Master at Lakefield Preparatory School. In 1918 he was accepted into the Royal Flying Corps. and went overseas in July, 1918 for training. In December of 1918, Ketchum was made Second Lieutenant as a pilot; however with the end of the War, Ketchum returned to Ontario in 1919 to pursue his academic career. He attended Trinity College at the University of Toronto from 1919-1923. While at Trinity College, Ketchum was the President of the University Rugby Club, President of the Trinity Athletic Association and Vice President of the Trinity College Literary Institute. After graduation in 1923, he taught for a year at the Upper Canada Preparatory School before returning to TCS as a master at the Junior School. During this time Ketchum earned a Bachelor of Pedagogy from the University of Toronto. In 1927 he entered Emmanuel College, Cambridge where he completed his BA. Upon graduation in 1929 he taught at St. Mark's School in Massachussets. In 1933, at the age of 32, Ketchum became the Headmaster of Trinity College School. He held this post until 1962, at which time he was made a lifetime member of the Board of Governors. Ketchum died on July 21, 1964

Results 1 to 20 of 61