Showing 22 results

Archival description
CA ON00340 F1043 · Fonds · 1827-2007

Fonds consists of the following series: minutes and reports, 1892-2007; legal records, 1910 - 1989; property records, 1843-1994; mission records, 1843-1990; non-church institutions records, 1906-1993; bequests, 1894-1977; subject/ correspondence files, 1898 -2004; and financial records, 1909-1986, and photographs.

Untitled
Minutes and Reports
CA ON00340 F1043-1 · Series · 1892-2007
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consists of the minutes and reports of the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent
bodies and committees including the Methodist Social Union of Toronto, the Methodist Union of Toronto,
Toronto Church Extension and Mission Union, Toronto Home Missions Council, and Dufferin - Peel
Presbytery Church Extension Council. Records are predominately 1897-1935, and 1980-1990.

Legal Records
CA ON00340 F1043-2 · Series · 1910-1989
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series contains the legal records of the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, 1910-1989. Most of the legal papers involve the incorporations and dissolutions of those incorporations, name changes of the council and the legal jurisdiction of the council.

Records of the manses
CA ON00340 F1043-3-4 · Subseries · 1928-1978
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consist of correspondence, legal and financial records, 1928-1978, regarding the purchase and sale of manses by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, including: Alderwood, Applewood, Bethesda, Beverley Hills, Birchcliff Heights, Birchmount, Bloordale, Calvary (Newmarket), Church of Covenant, Church of the Master, Donminster, Donway, Elverston Park, Glen Ayr, Hillcrest, Humbervale, Iondale Heights, Knob Hill, Northminster, Oak Ridges, Parkwoods, Queen Street, Rexdale, Richview, Riverside, Scarborough Junction, St. James Islington, St. John’s, St. Luke’s St. Mark’s, St. Matthew’s, Thorncliffe, Tretheway Park, Victoria Park, Victoria Village, West Hill, West Humber, Westway, Wilmar Heights, and Wilson Heights.

Records of other properties
CA ON00340 F1043-3-6 · Subseries · 1927-1992
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consists of the correspondence, legal and financial records regarding properties that were owned or leased by the council but did not have any further association with the United Church of Canada, including: Gibson House, 1929-1930; Hebrew Men of England Synagogue (Spadina Avenue), 1928-1960; and Toronto Dance Theatre, 1927-1992.

CA ON00340 F1043-4-2 · Subseries · 1843-1990
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

The mission began as a Sunday school for neglected children in 1886, supported by a few members of Metropolitan Methodist Church. Later once approval was received from Conference, an appeal for donations was made on behalf of the mission at church services. The Fred Victor Mission, in its current location at Queen and Jarvis, was opened in 1894 under the direction of the Toronto City Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. The building was a gift from Hart A. Massey and the mission was named
in memory of his son, Fred Victor. The mission was run directly by the Board of Directors of the Society. In 1973 the Fred Victor Mission began steps to become an incorporated entity. In 1984, the Fred Victor Mission became incorporated with a director appointed by the Toronto Conference Executive.
Subseries consist of the predominantly property records, legal records and correspondence of the Fred Victor Mission, 1843-1990

Records of other missions
CA ON00340 F1043-4-4 · Subseries · 1827-1954
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consist of legal, property and correspondence records of missions run by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, including Bay Street Chinese Church, 1945-1954; Elm Street Italian Mission, 1827-1939; Fred Victor annex, 1843-1925, Gledhill Avenue Methodist Mission, 1921-1923; and Victor Industrial Institute, 1903-1911.

Bequests
CA ON00340 F1043-6 · Series · 1894-1977
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consists of the legal, financial records and correspondence regarding bequests to the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, 1894-1977.

Property Records
CA ON00340 F1043-3 · Series · 1843-1994
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consists of the records of the properties owned by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies. Series is divided into the following subseries: general property records 1862-1994; records of church properties 1862-1994; records of the portable churches, 1920-1979; records of the manses, 1928-1978; records of the sites and lots 1911-1990; records of other properties, 1927-1192; and deeds 1874-1959.

Records of portable churches
CA ON00340 F1043-3-3 · Subseries · 1920-1979
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Portable churches were temporary structures placed at a church site for the congregation to meet in until such a time as it had enough of a regular congregation to financially support the construction of a permanent church building. Once a permanent structure was built the portable would be dismantled and relocated to another church site where it was needed.
Subseries consist of correspondence, legal and financial records, 1920-1979, regarding the purchase and sale of portable churches by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, including: Applewood, Bay Ridges, Birchmount, Bloordale, Calvary, Church of Covenant, Dawes Road, Emery, Emmanuel (South Aurora), Glen Ayr, Hillcrest, Humbervale, Knob Hill, Northminster, Parkwoods, Richview, St. Luke’s – Hedges, St. Matthew’s, Thorncliffe, West Humber and Westway

CA ON00340 F1043-3-5 · Subseries · 1911-1990
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

One of the functions of the Toronto United Church Council was to locate areas of urban growth and to decide where within these areas of development to locate a church. Prospective church sites were purchased, sometimes prior to any development, in anticipation for where a church would be needed. Council would sometimes purchase multiple sites in an area and allow a congregation to decide where it would like the church to be located, with the unneeded sites then sold.

Subseries consist of correspondence, legal and financial records, 1911-1990, regarding the purchase and sale of the sites and lots of the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies. Most of the Union and Mission Council's land was purchased and only a small portion was bequeathed.

CA ON00340 F1043-1-1 · Subseries · 1892-2007
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consists of minutes and constitutions of Methodist Social Union of Toronto, 1892-1915; constitutions, Board of Director and other committee minutes, 1912-1925; constitution and Board of Director minutes of Toronto Church Extension and Mission Union, 1926-1933; Board of Directors and Executive minutes of Toronto Home Missions Council (includes Toronto Church Extension and Mission Union), 1927-1973; and minutes of Dufferin-Peel Presbytery Church Extension Council, 1961-2007.

Deeds
CA ON00340 F1043-3-7 · Subseries · 1874-1959
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consist of deeds of properties owned by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, including Toronto churches, empty lots purchased by the Council as well as non-church institutions under the jurisdiction of the Council.

Mission Records
CA ON00340 F1043-4 · Series · 1827-1990
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consists of the records of the missions that were overseen by the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies. Records are predominantly property records, but may also consist of minutes of the board regarding the missions, legal records, correspondence, financial records and reports. Series is divided into the following subseries: Mission Board records,
1894-1918; records of Fred Victor Mission, 1843-1990; records of Fred Victor Home, 1887-1990; and records of other missions, 1827-1954.

CA ON00340 F1043-4-1 · Subseries · 1894-1918
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

In 1894 the Toronto City Missionary Society of the Methodist Church of Canada began, with the donation by Hart A. Massey of a building on the corner of Queen and Jarvis Streets, known as the Fred Victor Mission. The Society was started for the purpose of carrying out evangelistic and mission work in the city of Toronto in connection with the Methodist Church. The work was not limited to the Fred Victor Mission location.
In 1901 the Society officially changed their name to the Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church, as it had become known colloquially, in honour of the original donation by Mr. Massey in memory of his son Fred Victor. The society remained the same in all other aspects. By 1906 the Fred Victor Mission Society included mission work throughout the city of Toronto, including: The Fred Victor Mission which housed mother’s meetings, children’s work and classes such as household science; Italian
Missions located at Agnes Street United Church and Elm Street United Church; The Victor Home for Young Women, Victor Industrial Institute, and Victor Annex.
On November 14, 1907, The Fred Victor Mission Society decided to change its name in order to better to reflect the work that it did. It was renamed as Toronto City and Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church. In 1912 the Methodist Social Union of Toronto and the Toronto City and Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church amalgamated to create the Methodist Union of Toronto. The Department of City Missions and Social Service oversaw the mission side of the work that was done by
the Methodist Union of Toronto.
Subseries consists of the records of the boards that oversaw the mission work in the city of Toronto, including: minutes, histories and legal records of Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church, 1894-1906; Joint Committee on Italian Mission Work minutes of the Toronto City and Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church, 1904-1909; and Board minutes and city mission budgets of the Department of City Missions and Social Service, 1907-1916

CA ON00340 F1043-5 · Series · 1906-1993
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consist of correspondence, reports, scrapbooks, and other records regarding camps, homes and special ministries, 1906-1993, including: Bloor – Bathurst Friendschip Centre, Camp Big Canoe, Cedar Glen Camp and Conference Centre, Christian Resource Centre, Home First Society Association, Ina Grafton Home, Malvern Cemetery, Massey Centre, Opportunity House, Scugog Camp,
Sparrow Lake Camp, St. Christopher House and St. Matthew’s – Bracondale House. Records are predominantly property records.

Financial Records
CA ON00340 F1043-8 · Series · 1909-1986
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Series consist of the financial records and related correspondence of the Toronto United Church Council and its antecedent bodies, including special funds, 1909-1986. Records are subdivided by originating body .

CA ON00340 F1043-3-2 · Subseries · 1862-1994
Part of Toronto United Church Council fonds

Subseries consists of predominantly correspondence, dealing with church properties, 1862-1994.
The files in this subseries are arranged alphabetically by name of congregation and can include insurance policies, mortgage papers, legal papers such as deeds, agreements to purchase or sell the property, loan documents and other financial records and correspondence.
The subseries includes files of the following properties: Alderwood, Armour Heights, Appleweood, Bathurst Street, Beech Avenue Methodist Church, Bethesda, Beverley Hills, Birchcliff Heights, Bloordale, Broadway, Carleton, Centennial, Central (Unionville), Century, Chinese, Christ’s Reformed Episcopal Church, Church of All Nations, Church of the Master, Cliffcrest, Clinton Street, College Street, Cosburn, Covenant, Crawford Street Methodist, Davisville, Dawes Road, Donlands, Donminster, Don Mills, Donway, Downsview, Dufferin Street, Dunbarton-Fairport, Ebenezer (Milliken), Elm Street, Elverston Park, Emery, Epworth Methodist,
Euclid Avenue, Fairlawn, Fairport, Forest Grove, Forest Hill, Gerrard, Glebe, Glen Ayr, Glenmount, Grace Street, Harding Avenue, Hardwood, Hobbs Memorial Church, Howard Park, Hillcrest, Hillsdale, Humber Valley, Humbercrest, Humbervale, Hungarian, Iondale Heights, Jane Street Methodist, Kimbourne Park, King Street, Kingsway-Lambton, Knob Hill, Knox (Sutton West), Lakeview, Lansing, Lawrence Park, Leaside, Long Branch, Lyndwood, Malvern Emmanuel, Martin Grove, Mimico, Mount Dennis, Newtonbrook,
North Earlscourt, Northlea, North Riverdale, North Runnymede, Northminster, Oak, Oak Ridges, Oakwood, Oriole – York Mills, Ossington Avenue, Parkwoods, Parliament Street, Perth Avenue, Pietro Valdo, Presteign, Prospect Park, Queen Street, Queensway, Regent Park, Rexdale, Rhodes Avenue, Richvale, Richview, Riverside, Rouge Hill, Royal York, Runnymede, Scarborough Junction, Seven Oaks, Sharon Hope, Silverthorn, St. Andrew’s (Markham), St. Cuthbert’s, St. Enoch’s, St. Francis ministry, St. James –
Bond, St. James Islington, St. John’s, St. John’s (Scarborough), Saint Luke’s, St. Luke’s Islington, St.Mark’s, St. Matthew’s, St. Paul’s Italian, St. Paul’s (Oak Ridges), St. Stephen’s, Thistletown, Thorncliffe, Thornhill, Tretheway Park, First (Birchcliff), Victoria Park, Victoria Village, Wanstead, West Ellesmere, Wesley, Wesley Mimico, West Ellesmere, West Presbyterian, Western (Wellesley), West Hill, West Humber, West Rouge, Westennial, Westway, Willowdale, Wilmar Heights, Wilson Heights, Windermere Avenue,
Woodbine Heights, Woodbine Avenue, Woodgreen, Wexford, Yorkminster, Zion, and Zion Wexford.