Heritage York

Identity area

Identifier

ON00428

Authorized form of name

Heritage York

Parallel form(s) of name

Other form(s) of name

  • Lambton House

Type

  • Community
  • Historical Society

Contact area

Type

Address

Street address

4066 Old Dundas St.

Locality

York

Region

Ontario

Country name

Канада

Postal code

M6S 2R6

Telephone

416-767-5472

Fax

Email

Note

Description area

History

Heritage York was founded in 1991 with the goal of preserving the built and natural heritage of the former City of York. It also provides educational programmes to increase awareness of the usefulness of our history, buildings, and structures, as well as their value in today’s context and in the future. Heritage York preserves Lambton House, the last remaining landmark of William Howland’s Lambton Mills.

Geographical and cultural context

Mandates/Sources of authority

Administrative structure

Heritage York is governed by a working Board, which organizes and facilitates educational programming, educational events, walks, talks, and tours, and keeps Lambton House open as a hub of social activity and built, cultural, and natural heritage. The Board is made up of diverse backgrounds, many of whom have been serving for several years. The Board is always open and receptive to new members.

Records management and collecting policies

Buildings

Heritage York works out of Lambton House, formerly known as the Lambton Tavern or the Lambton Hotel. It is the last remaining in situ building from the 19th century milling/industrial era on the Humber River. It is located in the former village of Cooper’s Mills, renamed Lambton Mills in 1847. Lambton House stands as a link to William P. Howland, Father of Confederation and once owner of the land on which Lambton House sits.

Lambton House was a stagecoach inn and tavern located on the east bank of the Humber River on Old Dundas Street. There is evidence that there has been a tavern on the site since the 1820s. The current brick structure as it stands today was first recorded in the 1860/1861 assessment roll and was most likely designed and built by William Tyrrell of Weston. The building site was designated a heritage property in 1985 by the former City of York. It closed its doors as a tavern by 1989 with the purchase of the property for development of an apartment complex. Through negotiations, it was acquired by the City of York, now part of the City of Toronto, and is currently operated by Heritage York.

Lambton House has hosted many events, including being the focus for the City of York bi-centennial celebrations in 1993. The completion of four phases of restoration has allowed the Lambton House to once again become a hub of social and community activity including the built, cultural and natural heritage.

Lambton House was designated by the province through the Ontario Heritage Trust.

Holdings

Finding aids, guides and publications

Access area

Opening times

Access conditions and requirements

Accessibility

Services area

Research services

Reproduction services

Public areas

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • англійська

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Access points

Access Points

  • Clipboard

Primary contact

4066 Old Dundas St.
York, Ontario
CA M6S 2R6