Heritage York

Zona de identificação

Identificador

ON00428

Forma autorizada do nome

Heritage York

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome

Outra(s) forma(s) de nome

  • Lambton House

Tipo

  • Municipal
  • Historical Society

Zona de contacto

Tipo

Endereço

Endereço

4066 Old Dundas St.

Localidade

York

Região

Ontario

Nome do país

Canadá

Código Postal

M6S 2R6

Telefone

416-767-5472

Fax

Email

Nota

área de descrição

Histórico

Heritage York was founded in 1991 with the goal of preserving the built and natural heritage of the former City of York. It also provides educational programmes to increase awareness of the usefulness of our history, buildings, and structures, as well as their value in today’s context and in the future. Heritage York preserves Lambton House, the last remaining landmark of William Howland’s Lambton Mills.

contexto cultural e geográfico

Mandatos/Fontes de autoridade

estrutura administrativa

Heritage York is governed by a working Board, which organizes and facilitates educational programming, educational events, walks, talks, and tours, and keeps Lambton House open as a hub of social activity and built, cultural, and natural heritage. The Board is made up of diverse backgrounds, many of whom have been serving for several years. The Board is always open and receptive to new members.

Políticas de gestão e entrada de documentos

Prédios

Heritage York works out of Lambton House, formerly known as the Lambton Tavern or the Lambton Hotel. It is the last remaining in situ building from the 19th century milling/industrial era on the Humber River. It is located in the former village of Cooper’s Mills, renamed Lambton Mills in 1847. Lambton House stands as a link to William P. Howland, Father of Confederation and once owner of the land on which Lambton House sits.

Lambton House was a stagecoach inn and tavern located on the east bank of the Humber River on Old Dundas Street. There is evidence that there has been a tavern on the site since the 1820s. The current brick structure as it stands today was first recorded in the 1860/1861 assessment roll and was most likely designed and built by William Tyrrell of Weston. The building site was designated a heritage property in 1985 by the former City of York. It closed its doors as a tavern by 1989 with the purchase of the property for development of an apartment complex. Through negotiations, it was acquired by the City of York, now part of the City of Toronto, and is currently operated by Heritage York.

Lambton House has hosted many events, including being the focus for the City of York bi-centennial celebrations in 1993. The completion of four phases of restoration has allowed the Lambton House to once again become a hub of social and community activity including the built, cultural and natural heritage.

Lambton House was designated by the province through the Ontario Heritage Trust.

Acervos documentais

Instrumentos de pesquisa, guias e publicações

área de acesso

horário de funcionamento

Condição de acesso e uso

Acessibilidade

área de serviços

serviços de pesquisa

serviços de reprodução

Áreas públicas

Zona do controlo

Identificador da descrição

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Línguas e escritas

  • inglês

Script(s)

Fontes

Notas de manutenção

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso

  • Área de transferência

Contacto principal

4066 Old Dundas St.
York, Ontario
CA M6S 2R6