4066 Old Dundas St.
CA M6S 2R6
Heritage York was founded in 1991 with the goal of preserving the built and natural heritage of the former City of York. It also provides educational programmes to increase awareness of the usefulness of our history, buildings, and structures, as well as their value in today’s context and in the future. Heritage York preserves Lambton House, the last remaining landmark of William Howland’s Lambton Mills.
Heritage York is governed by a working Board, which organizes and facilitates educational programming, educational events, walks, talks, and tours, and keeps Lambton House open as a hub of social activity and built, cultural, and natural heritage. The Board is made up of diverse backgrounds, many of whom have been serving for several years. The Board is always open and receptive to new members.
Heritage York works out of Lambton House, formerly known as the Lambton Tavern or the Lambton Hotel. It is the last remaining in situ building from the 19th century milling/industrial era on the Humber River. It is located in the former village of Cooper’s Mills, renamed Lambton Mills in 1847. Lambton House stands as a link to William P. Howland, Father of Confederation and once owner of the land on which Lambton House sits.
Lambton House was a stagecoach inn and tavern located on the east bank of the Humber River on Old Dundas Street. There is evidence that there has been a tavern on the site since the 1820s. The current brick structure as it stands today was first recorded in the 1860/1861 assessment roll and was most likely designed and built by William Tyrrell of Weston. The building site was designated a heritage property in 1985 by the former City of York. It closed its doors as a tavern by 1989 with the purchase of the property for development of an apartment complex. Through negotiations, it was acquired by the City of York, now part of the City of Toronto, and is currently operated by Heritage York.
Lambton House has hosted many events, including being the focus for the City of York bi-centennial celebrations in 1993. The completion of four phases of restoration has allowed the Lambton House to once again become a hub of social and community activity including the built, cultural and natural heritage.
Lambton House was designated by the province through the Ontario Heritage Trust.