Fonds 985.039 - Hahn Pharmacy Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hahn Pharmacy Limited fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00094 985.039

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1863-1951 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.6 m of textual records (11 account books and 67 case file boxes) Books are soiled and worn. One has significant water damage. Prescription cases are stained with various tears. Prescription slips are yellowed, creased, dogeared, smudged with some tearing.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

J.S. Hoffman of Waterloo, Ontario opened his pharmacy on January 1, 1863. The business was purchased January 29, 1868 from J.S. Hoffman by Moses Springer and Simon Snyder. Both men were well-known in Waterloo's early history. Moses Springer was the first Reeve of the town of Waterloo in 1857, and was the town's first mayor in 1876. He later became an M.P.P. Simon Snyder was mayor of Waterloo in 1895-6, and was described as "a chemist and druggist, ... doing an extensive business in the town of Waterloo, where he carries a complete line of drugs, chemicals, druggists' sundries and pharmaceutical preparations." An advertisement in the Waterloo Chronicle dated Mar. 4, 1868 announced that Springer and Snyder were successors to J. S. Hoffman, and had purchased his stock "to be sold very cheap." Subsequent newspaper ads stated "Physicians' prescriptions and family receipts, carefully compounded, and all orders promptly attended to." On January 26, 1873, Simon Snyder purchased Moses Springer's share. On June 1, 1902, A. J. Roos purchased the business from Simon Snyder. At this time, Mr. Roos also had a drug store in Berlin. The Waterloo store was called the White Front Drug Store. In April, 1906, A. G. Haehnel bought the Waterloo store from Mr. Roos. Under A. G. Haehnel, the drug store was one of the first Rexall drug stores in Canada, beginning in the early 1920s. On May 1, 1907, Melvin J. Hahn started working for Mr. Haehnel. He later graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacists in 1913, and was still working sixty-nine years later. On April 1st 1949, Melvin J. Hahn purchased the pharmacy from Mr. Haehnel. On Nov. 1st, 1968, Mr. Jack E. Hahn, son of Mr. M. J. Hahn, took over the business. The Hahn Pharmacy closed in 1986.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Fonds was in the possession of Mr. Jack Hahn, owner of the Hahn Pharmacy, Ltd.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of pharmaceutical prescription books and "archive prescription transfer cases" from 1863 to 1951. Due to changes in laws and regulations governing the sale and reporting of pharmaceuticals, the records were organized to comply with such changes (e.g., narcotics prescriptions, and prescriptions for which dispensing fees were charged). Fonds consists of of the following series: 11 Pharmaceutical prescription books (1863-1928) 44 Transfer cases of pharmaceutical prescription sheets (1928-1950 ) 11 Transfer cases of pharmaceutical prescription sheets "D" series (1943-1950) 1 Narcotics prescription Record of Sales book (1924-1942) 10 Transfer cases of narcotics prescription sheets "N" series (1932-1951)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift of Mr. Jack Hahn (1985)

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Access to archival materials is unrestricted within the museum's Research Policy and its Library and Archives Policy. Materials may be used in reading room by appointment.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      The museum's Library and Archives Policy states conditions for making reproductions of archival materials. The museum's Research Policy states other conditions regarding publication.

      Finding aids

      A finding aid is available.

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      No further accruals expected.

      General note

      Pharmaceutical prescription books (1863-1928) have consecutive numbered entries, listing patient name, components of the pharmaceutical preparation and in some cases, the price. Two of the books (1901 to 1913) are hotel registers from the Zimmerman House, Waterloo, into which prescription sheets are glued over the registered guest lists. Subsequent books (1914 to 1928) are standard account books into which prescription slips are glued. Transfer cases (1928-1950) contain stacks of doctors' prescription slips, punched and mounted on two-ring holders. Until the "D" series was created in 1943, all prescriptions were included in these cases. After 1943, prescriptions for which dispensing fees were not charged remained in this group. "D" Series Transfer cases (1943-1950) contain stacks of prescription slips, punched and mounted on two-ring holders. These are doctors' prescriptions for which dispensing fees were charged. Record of Sales book for narcotics prescriptions (1924-1942) is a chronological listing of patients' names, doctors' and pharmacists' names, the profession and address of the patient, the drug name and date. This book is a companion to the "N" Series. (There is a reference to a subsequent book, which is not part of this collection.) "N" Series Transfer cases (1932-1951) contain stacks of prescription slips, punched and mounted on two-ring holders. These are doctors' prescriptions for narcotic medications.

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area