Title and statement of responsibility area
Guelph Harmony Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
40 cm of textual records
73 photographs: col
7 photographs: b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Harmony club was established in 1943 and functioned as a dance club with styles ranging from waltzes, fox trots and square dances. Early organizers included James Richmond and Mac Ferguson with Ed Young serving as first chairperson in 1947. The first dances occurred at the Sons of England Hall near St. George's Square. Eventually the club moved to Old Fellows Hall and Orange Hall on Albert Street and Waterloo Avenue respectively. The club's final activities where held at Eden Mills Community Hall.
In addition to dances, the club participated in organizing showers, gatherings to celebrate weddings, birthdays, picnics, euchres and even baseball games. Membership fees were charged to attend the dances often to help pay for the live bands and to raise money for various charities the club donated to. Membership consisted largely of Guelphites, but over time it grew to include interested individuals from Fergus, Cambridge and Hamilton. In the beginning the club held a membership of about 75 persons. At one point membership reached about 200.
Unfortunately the club was unable to maintain its membership and disbanded in 2005.
Prior to their transfer to Guelph Public Library, the Guelph Harmony Club had unbroken custody of these records.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes, financial records, photographs, and ephemera created or accumulated by the Guelph Harmony Club.
Immediate source of acquisition
Loose photographs in this fonds have been physically removed from the files for conservation reasons. Other photographs attached to the records in this fonds remain there.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Donor-held copyright in these records has been transferred to the Guelph Public Library. Permission of the Guelph Public Library is required for publication.
To access these records, consult file list F52 to identify specific files for viewing. Order box 1 and 2, Guelph Harmony Club fonds, from the Guelph Public Library Archivist. A listing is available for the majority of photographs in this fonds. To view this listing please speak with the Guelph Public Library Archivist. Please note, not all photographs have been digitized.
No further accruals of records are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata