Guelph Curling Club

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Guelph Curling Club

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1838-

        History

        The Guelph Curling Club was established in 1838 and was originally known as the Guelph Union Curling Club. The club played matches with residents from the nearby communities of Fergus and Elora often outdoors in areas suitable for the sport. By 1926 the club merged with the Royal City Club which was established in 1880s. This merger resulted in the creation of new bylaws and a constitution for the newly expanded club. By the mid 1940s the club applied for incorporation and set goals to help develop the sport of curling in cooperation with other associations. In 1947 the club purchased the Victoria rink and oversaw the creation of the first women’s section for curling. As membership grew over the next few decades, the Victorian rink became unsuitable for the clubs needs and a new facility was built in 1968. This facility is still in use today.

        For a more detailed history consult Stewart Brown's work entitled, Guelph Curling Club 150 Years 1838- 1988, which served as the bases for this description.

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        F51

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes