Title and statement of responsibility area
Foxboro Cheese Factory fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Foxboro Cheese Factory
Physical description area
6 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Foxboro Cheese Factory was incorporated in 1898 under founders John A. Holgate, James W. Gay, Robert Fenn, Thomas Leslie, William Goswell, Joseph Waldron, Hubert Hawley. It was located in Thurlow Township, County of Hastings, Ontario on Harmony Road at Highway 62. The factory stood until a fire destroyed it in 1906, after which the factory's operations shifted to the Eclipse Cheese Factory for approximately one year until a new facility could be built. Hoping to gain a larger influence in the industry, the company joined the Cheese Factory Patrons Association.
After World War II, the factory saw that the British Economy, which it been dependent on for exports, was no longer a viable option, as it rebuilt its own economic and social infrastructure in the wake of the destruction, the Foxboro Cheese Factory shifted its focus to the United States. It encouraged vendors to increasingly focus on targeting American tourists domestically, while updating their packaging to attract new customers and open new markets for export. The postwar period also proved to be a boon for the artisan value of Foxboro, as their reputation for quality was renowned. Foxboro Cheesemaker Horace Palmer scored the highest average scoring in Central Ontario for his cheeses in the late 1940s, culminating in the 1949 award for the best quality cheese in Eastern Ontario, which helped bring esteem and financial gain for the cooperative.
As operating costs and regional competition increased, which drove their market share down, Foxboro Cheese Factory's revenues decreased. This resulted in the company ceasing operations at the end of 1961. As part of the effort to maximize shareholders tenders, the Cheesemakers house was sold to Hans Laubert for 2,100 Canadian Dollars, whereas the factory, land, and equipment was sold to W.D. Cook. The factory eventually became the Thurlow Ward Fire Hall.
Donated by Mr. Gordon Gay.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of one folder of administrative records including the incorporating papers, the organizational rules and regulations, and a copy of the 1954 Milk Industry Act of Ontario, one folder containing various Foxboro Cheese Factory financial records and two books of minutes from annual, directorial shareholders meetings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entered by Nicholas VanExan, June 23, 2015.