Collection ASJ - Collection Académie Saint-Joseph de Hearst

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Collection Académie Saint-Joseph de Hearst

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA ON00402 ASJ

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

0.06 m of textual documents.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Saint-Joseph Academy of Hearst [Académie SaintJoseph de Hearst] greeted its first students in September 1956. At the request of Bishop Louis Levesque, the Sisters of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin [Sœurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge], a religious community established in Hearst since 1941, opened this French private secondary boarding school for young women. Initially, courses were offered on the premises of the Maison Sainte-Thérèse, also known as "LaGrange" and at the Saint-Joseph Convent. In March 1962, the Academy moved into a new building adjacent to the Saint-Joseph Convent (North side).

Like many private French secondary schools in the province, the Saint-Joseph Academy closed its doors following the creation, in 1968, of a French public secondary school system, in Ontario. In 1972, the Conseil des écoles séparées de Hearst purchased the building and incorporated it to SaintJacques elementary school. The following year, the Saint-Joseph Convent, built in 1921, was demolished. Known since 1986 as le Pavillon Notre-Dame, this school is now led by the Conseil scolaire catholique de district des Grandes Rivières.

In 1992, a plaque was inaugurated on the site formerly occupied by the Saint-Joseph Convent.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection contains a 1963 issue of the students’ journal Aurore and a photographic document autographed by Bishop Louis Levesque on October 22, 1959. The collection includes one box of textual and photographic documents.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The collection was acquired in 2016.


The documents, once acquired, were organized by the archivist.

Language of material

  • English
  • French

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restriction imposed by the donor.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright Act applies. Reproduction permitted depending on the condition of the documents.

Finding aids

A research tool is available.

Associated materials

Collection Annuaires étudiants
Collection Centre d’archives de la Grande Zone argileuse
Collection Jacqueline Collin Poliquin
Collection Linda Fillion-Pope

Related materials


Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English
  • French

Script of description


Accession area