Col. David Younger Public School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Col. David Younger Public School

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1959 - 2000

        History

        Col. David Younger Public School was officially opened on December 14, 1959. During the planning stages and building of the school it was named McKim Public School #9 and, for a time, also called Soloy Public School; however, it was decided that the school would officially be named Col. David Younger Public School in honour of Lieutenant-Colonel David Younger.

        Construction on the three room school house began in the spring of 1959 and was completed in time for children to start school that September. Only two classrooms were in use the first year, with grades one and two being taught by Mrs. Diana Johnstone and grades three and four being taught by Ray Kaatari, principal of the school. Within two years the school expanded to eight rooms and an auditorium to accommodate the growing population in New Sudbury.

        In 1962 Col. David Younger Public School was inducted into The Ontario Federation of Home and School Associations (a provincial volunteer group committed to informed and proactive involvement in their homes, schools and communities, to obtain "The Best for Each Student.") During the 1976 - 1977 school year, Col. David Younger Public School dealt with overcrowding, the main complaints of which were centered around the new French immersion program implemented at the school and the fact that the library consisted of a number of bookshelves placed in a hallway.

        Despite overcrowding, by 1978 the school was constantly plagued with proposals to close due to declining enrolment numbers. Due to both of these issues the school had a very involved Parents' Advisory Committee which worked constantly to keep the school open for their children. In 1982 the decision was made to keep the school open and to not disperse any of its students to nearby Churchill Public School and Westmount Public School, as had been suggested. The commitment to keeping the school open lasted until June 2000 when the school permanently closed.

        Principals:

        Ray Kaattari, September 1959 - June 1966
        Oakley Pawson, September 1966 - June 1970
        A.L. Toppari, September 1970 - June 1972
        J.A. Wells, September 1972 - June 1987
        Michael Betty, September 1987 - June 1993
        Brian Fielding, September 1993 - [?] (still principal in 1996)

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        033

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes