Title and statement of responsibility area
Chelmsford Women's Institute
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1883 - 1987 (Creation)
- Chelmsford Women's Institute
Physical description area
0.21 m of textual records and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Chelmsford Women's Institute was founded on June 3rd, 1949. It was created by the women of Chelmsford as a branch of the pre-existing Women's Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. Mrs. Grace McCrystal (nee Vaillancourt) organized the first meeting at her home in Chelmsford and sixteen ladies attended to listen to District President, Mrs. H. Williams, and District Secretary, Mrs. J. Hamilton, explain the work and aims of the Women's Institute.
The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. Standing committees included Agriculture and Canadian Industries, Citizenship and Education, Community Activities and Public Relations, Historic Research and Current Events, Home Economics and Health, and Resolutions.
The Women's Institute helped local families in need, usually by raising funds, donating clothing or sending flowers. They also gave monetary donations to national causes, such as the Red Cross, presented papers at meetings on the topics of agriculture, local history, geography, shopping and hygiene and hosted events for members, such as baby showers, Christmas gift exchanges and sleigh rides. The group also took it upon themselves to document the history of Chelmsford with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks between 1949 and 1956. The research for these scrapbooks was undertaken by their Historic Research and Current Events Standing Committee Convener, Rose Cvitkovich.
The Chelmsford Women's Institute officially disbanded in 1960.
Former Presidents of the Chelmsford Women's Institute include:
Mrs. A. Rheaume (1949 - 1950)
Mrs. Albert DeFinney (December 1950 - April 1951)
Mrs. Yvonne Trottier (nee Paquette) (1951 - 1952, 1953 - 1955)
Mrs. G. Castonguay (1952)
Mrs. R. Cvitkovich (1956)
Rose Cvitkovich's son Steve Cvitkovich donated the records to the Sudbury Public Library after the passing of his mother in 2003. The Sudbury Public Library transferred the records to the Archives in 2010.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of two scrapbooks created by the Chelmsford Women's Institute and nine papers written by various members of the group.
Immediate source of acquisition
ACC2010-036, Greater Sudbury Public Library
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
One of the papers is written in French, while the scrapbooks and other papers are written in English.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series, file, and item lists are available.
To research the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada Fonds, visit Library and Archives Canada and ask for R2976-0-3-E. http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2013-04-15T16%3A44%3A31Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=105509&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng
Further accruals are not expected.