Fonds RG 9 - Canadian International Air Show fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canadian International Air Show fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    ON00421 RG 9

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1928-2004, predominant 1969-1993 (Creation)
      Creator
      Canadian Exhibition Air Shows, Inc.
      Place
      Toronto

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    4 m. of textual records
    ca. 1000 photographs : b&w, col. prints, negatives, slides
    0.15 m. of printed material
    1 film reel : 70 mm
    5 audio tapes
    1 scrapbook : b&w, col. prints, newspaper clippings

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1946-)

    Administrative history

    The Canadian International Air Show (CIAS) is Canada's largest and longest-running aviation display. It originated in 1946 when the National Aeronautical Association of Canada attracted overflow crowds to a show at De Havilland Airport in Downsview. The full-scale show featured paratroopers from the Canadian Army and aircraft from the RCAF and the United States Air Force (USAF). Before 1946, less formal predecessors to the CIAS existed. The first public exhibition of formation flying in Canada was over the Exhibition Place waterfront in 1919, featuring Fokker D VII fighters. The first recorded and formally organized show, by today’s standards, was in August 1939, consisting mainly of Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) military aircraft. The 1948 air show, held at Malton (now Lester B. Pearson International Airport), was sponsored by the Toronto Flying Club.

    In 1949, the CIAS offices moved permanently to Exhibition Place, where the air show has been held since. The 1949 show showcased a variety of military and civilian aircraft including a Lancaster, a Harvard formation, North Star Transport and Canada’s own experimental Tailless Glider. In 1956, the CIAS officially became a feature event of the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE), organizing aerial displays during two days of the CNE. In 1969, the CIAS became a four day event, taking place during the last Friday to Monday of the CNE. The air show scaled back to its current three day format in 1989.

    Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, the CIAS primarily featured RCAF aircraft, including the RCAF Golden Hawks, Canada’s first national military aerobatic team. By 1969, the Canadian International Air Show had adopted a larger format with military aircraft from the United States and Britain as well as a number of civilian performers in modified aerobatic aircraft. The 1970s shows featured top military aircraft, such as the McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet, the F15 Eagle, and the F-14 Tomcat. At the same time, the CIAS organized retrospective features such as the “History Segment” of 1972, which showcased such aircraft as a replica Sopwith Camel from the First World War and the Corsair and Spitfire from the Second World War. By the mid-1980s, the international reputation of the CIAS was firmly established. Participants included the Royal Australian Air Force F111s and the Italian Air Force Frecce Tricolori Aerobatic Team.

    During the 1990s, the CIAS developed several new programs to accompany the air show. In 1993, the CIAS presented its first-ever Photo Walking Tour at Lester B. Pearson International Airport. Aircraft were strategically placed to allow the public to view and photograph such aircraft as the B1-B Bomber, U-2 Dragon Lady and the British Airways Concorde. In 1996, the CIAS launched its first full static display at Pearson International Airport, called FLIGHTLINE '96, where over two dozen aircraft were on display. Despite an expansion to include over 30 aircraft in 1996, 1998 saw the cancellation of FLIGHTLINE due to preparations for CIAS’s 50th anniversary in 1999.

    In 1999, the Canadian International Air Show celebrated 50 years of flying at the CNE. The Ontario Heritage Foundation presented the Air Show with a historic plaque, permanently situated north of the Bailey Bridge at Exhibition Place, and Canada Post issued a set of stamps commemorating both the 50th anniversary of the Air Show and the 75th anniversary of the Royal Air Force. Crowds at the air display were treated to a retrospect of aircraft through the past five decades, ranging from WWII Harvards to modern day jets. Today, the CIAS continues its mission to put on an entertaining and informative aerial display to maintain its position as the premier air show of its kind in the world.

    The CIAS is organized and conducted by Canadian Exhibition Air Shows, Inc. (CEAS), a non-profit corporation dedicated to the promotion and display of aviation that is run almost exclusively by volunteers, most of whom are active in aviation.

    Before 1985, the CEAS was governed by a Board of Directors consisting of the current CIAS Chairman, the immediate past Chairman, and several other elected representatives. In 1985, the position of Chairman of the Board was divided into two positions to avoid conflict: Chairman of the Board and President of the CIAS. In 1992, the number of members of the Board of Directors increased to nine, including the Chairman of the Board, the CIAS President, the Canadian National Exhibition Association (CNEA) representative, the City representative, and five other elected members. In 2010, the Board of Directors chose not to exercise of the option of electing a President going forward and currently operates under the direction of the Chair and the Executive Director.

    The CIAS Chairman/President, appointed by the Board of Directors, typically served for a term of three years. The Chairman/President was responsible for the operational functions of the CIAS. He or she served as the head of the Executive Committee, made up of the directors and other members of various CIAS departments, such as Air Operations, Ground Operations, and Marketing. The Chairman/President was also responsible for coordinating with the Chief General Manager of Exhibition Place. The records generated before 1985 were primarily handled by the Executive Secretary of the CIAS, responsible for the administrative functions related to the Chairman.

    In 1982, the position of CIAS Coordinator was created, which replaced the position of Executive Secretary. Although the Chairman/President was still responsible for liaising with the Executive Committee and with the Chief General Manager of Exhibition Place, the CIAS Coordinator took on a more active role in coordinating the air show and coordinating with Exhibition Place staff, primarily the Director of Marketing for the CNE. Deborah Day, the CIAS Coordinator from 1982-1993, is primarily responsible for the records generated during this period.

    By 1992, the various departments of the CIAS were streamlined into three departments headed by general managers: Airshow Production, which included medical response, air operations, and airports and security, Administrative Services, including finance, hospitality, and communications and transport, and Marketing and Promotion, which oversaw community relations, media relations, and promotions and merchandising.

    In 1996, CEAS entered into a new relationship with the CNEA for the presentation of the air show. According to an agreement approved by the Board of Directors at its meeting on February 8, 1996, the CNE became a “sponsor” of the CIAS, on the understanding that the CEAS desired a more autonomous relationship with the CNEA, directly targeting financial self-sufficiency.

    Chairmen/Presidents of the Canadian International Airshow have included: F. I. Young (1950-1967), Alex D. Maclean (1968-1971), W. P. Draper (1972-1973), Ken Allen (1974-1976), Gary W. McMahon (1977-1979), R. G. Church (1980-1982), Bill McVean (1983-1986), Raymond B. Lank (1987), Gerry R. Spracklin (1988-1990), Gordon C. Stapleton (1991-1992) and Donald J. Chapman (1993).

    Custodial history

    The records in the Canadian International Air Show fonds were created and collected by the Canadian International Air Show from 1967 to 1993. Throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, CIAS’s inactive records were transferred to the Exhibition Place Record Centre for storage. As per the Exhibition Place records retention bylaw, some financial records (cheque requisitions, budgets, receipts) were destroyed. In October 2003 the records were transferred to the Exhibition Place Archives. A volunteer arranged and described a portion of the records including the minutes, correspondence, financial records and newspaper clippings.

    In 2017, a final arrangement and description was undertaken. Additional records were culled, including financial records, newspaper clippings, and non-CIAS printed material, and duplicate and redundant records were removed from the remaining series. The remaining records were arranged into series, following their original order as closely as possible, with some minor rearrangement and refiling into chronological order and appropriate series (for example, several ‘miscellaneous’ boxes were filed into the ‘Subject Files’ series).

    Scope and content

    The Canadian International Air Show fonds reflects the functions of the CIAS Executive Committee as promoters and organizers of entertaining and informative aerial displays in 20th century Toronto on a national and international level.

    The records are arranged and described at the series level, and each series has an accompanying file list. The fonds consists of eight series: Correspondence (RG 9-0-1), Subject files (RG 9-0-2), Information kits (RG 9-0-3), Meeting minutes (RG 9-0-4), Corporate (RG 9-0-5), Executive Squadron (RG 9-0-6), Photographs and printed material (RG 9-0-7), and Sound and moving images (RG 9-0-8).

    Textual records in the fonds consist of correspondence, reports, surveys, promotional material, flight schedules, meeting minutes, and policies related to the CIAS Executive Committee, aviation performers, air show guests and sponsors, and CNE visitors. Graphic and printed materials include photographs of aircraft and performers, photographs of CIAS functions, and informational pamphlets.

    Few documents exist for the years 1928-1930, 1956, 1967, and 1968. No records exist for the years 1931-1955, and 1957-1966. When the CIAS became autonomous in 1996, they retained their administrative and operational records from 1994 and 1995. Those records, and any new records created after that date, are the property of the CIAS and are stored in the Air Show offices or in an off-site storage facility. As a result, no further accumulations of records are expected for RG9.

    Note: CIAS programmes can be found in series 4 of C 31, Exhibition Place Printed Material Collection.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

    • englanti

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Open

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Researchers are advised that citation of Exhibition Place Archives is required in publications and essays. Please consult with the archivist regarding reproduction requests.

      Finding aids

      File lists are available for each series and sub-series.

      Associated materials

      Accruals

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area