Showing 105 results

People and organizations
Trent Valley Archives

Hope, Albert

  • Person
  • 1879-1953

Albert Hope was briefly a builder in Peterborough who later taught manual training in Peterborough schools. During the time that the fonds was created he was living at 704 George Street, Peterborough, and later lived chiefly at 219 Stewart Street.

Anson House

  • Corporate body
  • 1912-

Anson House, since 1912 Peterborough’s most historic home for the aged, became the third Protestant home in Peterborough in 1931. The Peterborough Relief Society was founded in 1862 with a view to providing outside relief for the poor of Peterborough. The mandate was narrowed to be primarily Protestants, and primarily women and children, in 1863. The organization continued to dispense some outside relief, but beginning in May 1865 its prime concern became the Peterborough Protestant Home, located by 1870 on Steward St. just north of Brock St, and after 1911 at the location on Anson St; its name was changed to Anson House, in 1931. At different time, there were pressures (usually resisted) to have the Home operate as a House of Refuge, but its mandate was not so widened. Anson House ceased to exist and was integrated into the nursing home at Fleming College, where one wing was named in perpetuity for Anson House.For details see the history of the organization, Anson House: A Refuge and a Home (Trent University History 475 Class, edited by Elwood Jones and Brendon Edwards, 2001)

Tolmie, Archie

  • Person

Archie Tolmie is a local historian in the Peterborough area.

Barrie, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1866-1942

Thomas Barrie (1866-1942), Otonabee-born Peterborough businessman, began his business career with the J. T. Fairweather Co. Fairweather’s was then at the north-west corner of George and Simcoe, and in 1900 he acquired the Fairweather builing. He shared the building with Turnbull’s department store. Barrie’s moved to its attractive new building just south of Charlotte in 1912. Turnbull’s took over the whole building; during this renovation, Turnbull’s store collapsed in August 1913, a disaster that left six dead. Barrie’s expanded to several western locations, including Vancouver, Regina, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Toronto. During the 1930s, he reduced his western story. He was a life member of Rotary and of YMCA, a former president of the chamber of commerce. He was survived by his wife and sister in 1945.

Barrie's Limited

  • Corporate body
  • fl. 1900-1960

Thomas Barrie (1866-1942), Otonabee-born Peterborough businessman, began his business career with the J. T. Fairweather Co. Fairweather’s was then at the north-west corner of George and Simcoe, and in 1900 he acquired the Fairweather builing. He shared the building with Turnbull’s department store. Barrie’s moved to its attractive new building just south of Charlotte in 1912. Turnbull’s took over the whole building; during this renovation, Turnbull’s store collapsed in August 1913, a disaster that left six dead. Barrie’s expanded to several western locations, including Vancouver, Regina, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Toronto. During the 1930s, he reduced his western story. He was a life member of Rotary and of YMCA, a former president of the chamber of commerce. He was survived by his wife and sister in 1945.

Bradburn family

  • Family
  • 1850-1990

The Bradburn family was headed through successive generations by Thomas Bradburn; Thomas Evans Bradburn; William H. Bradburn; Herbert I. Bradburn; and William Bradburn. As well, the land papers contain properties related to Rupert Bradburn who was very interested in opera houses and theatres. The Bradburn Opera Hall, built about 1875, was the pride of Peterborough for 30 years, when the Grand Opera House was built. Rupert Bradburn and his family owned both for some years, and also theatres in Port Hope and Cobourg (Victoria Hall).

Thomas Bradburn (1819- 30 August 1900) was raised on the farm of his parents [Thomas Bradburn (1791-1875) and Sarah (d.1878)] and as a young man clerked for the Hon. John Simpson, Bowmanville. He came to Peterborough in 1842 to work with Oughtry Morrow. After Morrow’s death in 1848, Bradburn and Bell continued the business. The business was reformed as Bradburn and Mason, and later as Fair and Van Every until 1885. Thomas Bradburn married Jane Morrow of Peterboro in Toronto, February 1852, the Rev Mr Wilkinson presiding. Jan Morrow died 14 July 1861 and is buried in Dublin. Thomas Bradburn married Linda Helm (   -18 September 1926) of Peterboro, 2 July 1867, the Rev I. N. Johnston presiding. Thomas Bradburn died 30 August 1900, survived by three sons (Thomas E., William H., and Rupert) and two daughters. Gertrude died 30 July 1874.

T. Evans Bradburn (18 May 1853-16 November 1933 ) managed the Bradburn estate. He was a member of the City Council, Board of Education, the Reeve of North Monaghan, and the MPP for Peterborough West, 1905-1912. He married Kate Ormond 2 February 1875, in the Charlotte Street Methodist Church.

W. H. Bradburn (4 November 1855- 3 August 1869)

The third generation included:
William Herbert Bradburn (9 February 1870 -15 January 1942) W. H. Bradburn was an agent for real estate and investment. He was alderman, 1907, 1908, 1911, and mayor, 1912, 1913. He married 2 December 1897, Elizabeth (Bessey) Cumming (d 13 May 1939)

On 14 November 1894, Marion H. M. Bradburn married Fred D. Hewson ( – died 30 March 1903)

Charles Rupert Helm (known as Rupert) Bradburn, was active as a theatre owner and promoter and died at Los Angeles, 9 September 1939. Another Rupert Helm Bradburn died 28 April 1964, and is buried in Little Lake Cemetery.

Frank L. Bradburn (died 29 July 1951).

The fourth generation included:
Herbert Ian Bradburn (1904-1988) married Florence Beatrice Preston of Ottawa at Ottawa, 16 September 1933, the Rev Mr Hepburn, Anglican, presiding.

The fifth generation included William Bradburn (1941- ) and his wife Teresa.

William Helm (1822-1901) came from Cobourg to Peterborough about 1866 and operated a machine shop and foundry on Simcoe Street near Jackson Creek (now the site of the city bus depot) until 1876. After a few years in Gananoque, he returned to Peterborough. Helm was widely known, serving on town council, the Fire Brigade, the Board of Education, with the Mechanics’ Institute and the Masonic Order.

William Cummings (1819-1890), wagon maker, came to Canada from Balnain, Scotland, in 1843. He was appointed the first Town Constable, 1850, and then became the town collector.

In the 1861 census, William Cummings was listed as 40, his wife Elizabeth as 28, his mother living with them was 74. The children were William Thomas 12, Sarah Ann 10, Mary Jane 9, and Isabella 7.

Heideman, Anne

  • Person

Anne Heideman was best known as the first Director of the Peterborough Centennial Museum and Archives.

Gariepy, Alfred W.

  • Person
  • 1946-

Fred Gariepy (1946- ) is a practising lawyer with Gariepy Murphy, 195 Sherbrooke Street, Peterborough. A graduate of Trent University, he has practised in Peterborough since 1974. His father, Alfred Richard Gariepy (1911-1991) was the founder of the Peterborough Tool and Machine Co. Ltd and ran it for 37 years.

Holt, Alene

  • Person

Alene Holt was born in Stratford, Ontario and was married to Maurice Holt, manager from 1940 of the Peterborough branch of Household Finance Corporation. Their only child was Cooper (b 1947). She was educated in Stratford, Chalk River and Windsor. She graduated from Western Business College, Windsor. During the late years of World War II, she was publicity director for the Victory Loans. Her journalistic experience included a radio show in St Catharines, and projects with the Peterborough Examiner. Entered municipal politics in 1953.

Mitchell, Charles

  • Person

Charles Mitchell was an employee of Outboard Marine Corporation who lived on RR4, Peterborough.

Results 1 to 20 of 105