Showing 135 results

People and organizations
United Church of Canada Archives

Goldstone Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1886-2006

Goldstone Pastoral Charge was formed ca. 1929 when Stirton Pastoral Charge was discontinued, with Stirton closing and Goldstone and Goshen, which had been points on that charge, becoming a new charge; the charge was discontinued ca. 1939 when Goshen became a separate charge and Goldstone became a point on the Alma Pastoral Charge.

Egmondville Presbyterian Church

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1844-1930

Egmondville Presbyterian was formed ca. 1844 and joined the United Church at the time of union.

Sutton West : Knox Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body

Sutton West: Knox Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian; it was also known as Sutton West Pastoral Charge and Sutton West - Virginia Pastoral Charge, and included Knox Church in Sutton West, Bethel Church in Georgina Township, and Virginia

Annan - Woodford Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • ON00340
  • Corporate body
  • 1970 -

Annan - Woodford Pastoral Charge was formed in 1970, when Annan Pastoral Charge and Woodford Pastoral Charge joined together. It included Trinity United Church in Annan and Woodfrod United Church, until Woodford United Church closed in 2004. It is currently a single-point pastoral charge.
Annan Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. it included Annan, Johnstone Church in Johnson, Leith
Trinity United Church, located at 303234 Sideroad 33 in Annan, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. The Presbyterian Church was established in 1855 and shared a minister with Division Street Presbyterian Church in Owen Sound until 1877 when it formed part of Annan-Leith Presbyterian Pastoral Charge. In 1906, the charge also included Daywood and Johnstone congregations. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It was also known as Annan United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Woodford United Church, located at the intersection of Mallory Beach Rd & 8th Ave, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed part of Woodford Pastoral Charge until 1970. The congregation closed December 2004.
Johnstone United Church was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian; it closed ca. 1969
Leith United Church was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian; it closed ca. 1969

Woodsworth, Harold F., 1883-1939

  • Person
  • 1883-1939

Dr. Harold F. Woodsworth was born in Portage la Prairie in 1883 and was a missionary in Japan for over 30 years. He received his B.A. from Victoria College in 1907. In the fall of 1908 he went to Japan as a missionary with the Y.M.C.A, teaching in the English department at a Japanese Government School in Nagasaki, then Kagoshima. In 1910 became a missionary under the Methodist Church, and returned to Canada for post-graduate work. In 1911, he married Miss Ada Frances Chown, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Chown of Kingston. They returned to Japan together, first to a language school in Tokyo, then to Kobe, where Mr. Woodsworth became a professor of English at Kwansei Gakuin University, later becoming Dean of the Literature Department, and Dean of Theology of the University for a number of years. He was ordained during a furlough in 1918, during which time he also took his M.A. at Columbia University, New York. In 1936 he was honoured with a Doctor of Divinity from Victoria College. He died in 1939. H.F. Woodsworth's brother was C.C.F. leader J.S. Woodsworth. Their father, James Woodsworth, was a former Superintendent of Home Missions for the Methodist Church of Canada.

Ava Woodsworth (Chown), was a graduate of Whitby Ladies College and Queen’s University (1909). Mrs. Woodsworth taught English and the Bible in Japan. She was active on the National Council of the YWCA and the Dominion Board of the United Church Women's Missionary Society.

The Woodsworths had two sons, Kenneth, and David, and two daughters, Mary and Sylvia.

Faull, James, 1840-1897

  • Person
  • 1840-1897

James Faull was born in Crowan, Cornwall County, England on January 6th, 1840. In the mid 1860s he left England for America to minister to copper miners in Upper Michigan but was instead sent to the L’Anse Indian reservation where he served as a missionary and teacher.

In May, 1871 he came to Eastern Ontario upon the invitation of Rev. S.W. LaDu, a presiding elder in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
James Faull served charges in St. Lawrence District, Inverary and Kingston, Mallorytown, Inkerman, Easton’s Corners, Tamworth, Centreville, Milford, Sidney, Bayside and Shannonville.

He died in December 18, 1897 surrounded by his wife Catherine and their family.

Whitehead, Rhea, 1936-2011

  • Person
  • 1936-2011

Rhea Hildegarde Menzel Whitehead (1936-2011) was a missionary in Asia, theological educator and General Secretary of the Division of World Outreach. She was born on January 22, 1936 in St. Louis, Missouri. She received her B.A. from Elmhurst College Illinois summa cum laude in 1956 and M.A. in Adult Education from the University of Toronto. In 1961, after undertaking full-time studies of the Cantonese language, she and her husband Raymond Whitehead moved to Hong Kong where she worked in various capacities with the Church of Christ in China and the National Council of Churches/USA. In 1975 they moved to Toronto where Rhea served as Coordinator of the Education Liaison Programme of the University of Toronto/York University Joint Centre on Modern East Asia for the next two years. She subsequently worked with the Anglican Church of Canada as Regional Mission Coordinator for Asia and the Pacific from 1979-1984 and thereafter, served The United Church of Canada until her retirement in 2005. She was Area Secretary for Asia, 1984-1992; General Secretary of the Division of World Outreach, 1992-1999 and overseas personnel 1999-2005, teaching at Siliman University in the Philippines and Nanjing Theological Seminary in China. Rhea was widely respected and recognized for her exceptional work in international justice and peace. Along with her solidarity and support work in the struggle against the dictatorships in South Korea and the Philippines, overseas partners point to Rhea's pioneering work in opening up the commitment to gender justice in the context of mission partnerships. Rhea and her husband Ray played critical roles in the ecumenical churches’ ongoing relationship with the people and churches of China. Rhea meticulously took down notes of her travels and observations, at workshops and worship which documents form a large part of her records. In 2010, Rhea and Ray were awarded the Katharine Hockin Award for Global Mission and Ministry by the Canadian Churches' Forum for Global Ministries.

Jackson, Hope, 1922-2003

  • Person
  • 1922-2003

Hope Erna Jackson (nee Weber) (1922-2003) was born in Preston (now Cambridge), Ontario. She attended elementary and high school in Preston, then the University of Western Ontario (Waterloo College) from 1945, receiving a B.A. in 1948. She attended the United Church Training School, Toronto from 1948-1950, and Emmanuel College from 1956-1958, where she earned a B.D. She was received as a candidate in 1956 and ordained in 1966 in London Conference. She worked as a missionary of the W.M.S in Gypsumville, Manitoba from 1950-1956. Her pastorates were Kingston, Nova Scotia (1967-1971), River John, Nova Scotia (1971-1973), Walters Falls, Ontario (1973-1977), and Massey, Ontario (1977-1982). She served as secretary of the Division of Mission in Canada Committee of the Maritime Conference, was secretary of the National Committee on Liturgy, Chairman of the Committee on Liturgy for Manitou Conference, and President of Manitou Conference. She married Rev. Arthur Jackson in October, 1957. Her sister, Faith Bauman was a missionary with the United Methodist Church in India for over 25 years. Jackson died in June, 2003.

Ward, Anne, 1906-1980

  • Person
  • 1906-1980

Anne Isabel Ward was a missionary. She was born in Granton, Ontario on January 14, 1906 and attended the Toronto Conservatory of Music, the University of Western Ontario and the United Church Training School. In 1930 she was designated as missionary and was sent to West China under the Woman’s Missionary Society. She taught at the Hwa Yin Girls’ High School in Chengtu until 1937; served as Dean of Women at the West China Union University for a brief period and became head of its Fine Arts Department. In between she taught choral work and piano. She did not leave immediately following the establishment of the Communist government in 1949 but stayed on for two more years and was one of the last missionaries of the United Church to depart from China.
After a year’s furlough, Anne Ward took up the post of General Secretary of the Dominion Board of the Woman’s Missionary Society. Under her helm, the work of the Woman’s Missionary Society and Board of Overseas Missions was unified paving the way for the creation of United Church Women and the Board of Women. She served as the first secretary of the latter board from 1962-1969. She died on September 1, 1980.

Dahlin, Henry W., 1924-2000

  • Person
  • 1924-2000

Henry Waldemar Dahlin was a United Church Minister. He was born in Finland on April 18, 1924. He was ordained by Toronto Conference in 1963. Rev. Dahlin received his B.A. from the University of Toronto in 1973 and his B.D. from Emmanuel College in 1976.

He served the following charges in Ontario: Porcupine, 1963-1965; Bond Head, 1965-1976; Knox, Owen Sound, 1976-1981 and Bradford, 1982-1989[?].

Moore, Arthur Bruce Barbour, 1906-2004

  • Person
  • 1906-2004

Arthur Bruce Barbour Moore (1906-2004) was born in Keswick Ridge, New Brunswick. He received his early education in New Brunswick and Quebec and graduated from McGill in 1927 with honours in English and History. In 1930, he graduated from United Theological College in Montreal with his Bachelor of Divinity. Following graduation, he spent seven years as a minister in Quebec (Amherst Park United Church, Howick United Church) and four years as a minister of College Hill Church in Easton, Pennsylvania. From 1940-1942 he supplied at Parkdale United Church in Ottawa, then served at Westminster United Church in Saskatoon until 1946 when he was appointed Principal of St. Andrew’s college. He received a Doctor of Divinity in 1947, and was elected President of the Saskatchewan Conference of The United Church of Canada in 1949. In 1950 he was appointed President and Vice-Chancellor of Victoria University. In 1952 he received his Doctor of Laws from the University of Saskatchewan and a Doctor of Divinity from Trinity College in Toronto. From 1954-1958 he was Chairman of the Board of Overseas Missions of the United Church. In 1969, he was appointed President of the Canadian Council of Churches. From 1971-1972 he served as Moderator of the United Church. From 1973-1974 he served as an Interim Minister at St. Andrews Kirk in Nassau, Bahamas. In 1976 he served as Interim General Secretary of the Canadian Council of Churches and was also named to the Order of Canada. From 1977-1980 he served as Chancellor of the University of Toronto. Moore died in 2004. He was married to Margaret Moore who died in 2004.

Sparling, Edith, 1879-1965

  • Person
  • 1879-1965

Edith Plaxton Sparling (1879-1965) was born in Anderson, Ontario. She had some Business and Secretarial Training, and also graduated from the Methodist National Training School in 1909. She was appointed by the Women’s Missionary Society of the Methodist Church to West China in 1909. After a year of language study at Chengtu, she was appointed to Tzeliutsing for evangelistic work in 1910 and remained there for nine years. In 1919 she was transferred to Chungking for her next term of service. In 1924, she went to Fowchow and remained there for ten years. Then, in 1934 she was again appointed to Tzeliutsing and spent all the rest of her service there. Sparling retired on September 28, 1947 and lived in St. Mary’s and later Chatham, Ontario.

Lawson, Margaret, 1922-2012

  • Person
  • 1922-2012

Margaret Lawson (1922-2012) was born in Toronto. She was a fervent volunteer with the United Church in many capacities and at many levels; church, conference, presbytery, and national.

Lawson worked in the office of Sainthill Levine during World War II and met her husband, Bill Lawson at Young People’s at St. Paul’s Avenue Road. The Lawsons moved frequently throughout Ontario for Bill’s work. Margaret volunteered for various groups (the Women’s Association, United Church Women, Pastoral Care, Executive and Advisory Committee, and various Councils and Committees) at the Conference and Presbytery levels while a member at Welland Avenue United Church (St. Catharine’s), St. Andrews United Church (London) and Rideau Park United Church (Ottawa), Emmanuel United Church (Ottawa), Marshall Memorial United (Ancaster), and Donway Covenant United Church (Toronto). Lawson volunteered with the U.C.W. of Hamilton Conference as secretary and later Chair (1968-1970). During this time, on behalf of the church, she traveled to Japan and met with Women’s groups there. She was also on the Toronto Area Presbytery International Affairs Committee from 1984-1985.

Nationally, Lawson volunteered on the Executive of the Board of Women, serving as their representative on the Board of Men and Chair of their Finance Committee from 1968 until 1971 when the Board of Women joined the newly created Division of Mission in Canada. She volunteered on the Executive of the Division of Finance and the Executive of the Treasury Department from 1968-1977. She was on the General Council Executive and Sub-Executive from 1974-1977, and served on the following committees: Church Extension, Budget Validation, Salaries, Investment for Social Purposes, Project Committee and the Task Group on Confirmation Resources. She volunteered on the Executive and Sub-Executive of the Department of Church in Society from 1972-1977, and was Chairman of the Outreach Ministries and various other ministries. She was on the Board of Directors of The Observer, and the Executive of the Treasury Committee, the Investment Committee and the Pensions Department. She served as Chair of the Division of Mission from 1979-1983, and was chair of their Mutuality in Mission Committee from 1991-1992. She also served as the Division’s representative to the Division of World Outreach, JNAC (Japan-North American Commission on Cooperative Mission) as well as their Committee on East Asia & Pacific DOM/NCCCUSA. She was a member of the Women’s Missionary Society Book History Committee, chaired the Office Committee of the General Council, and the Archives Management Committee from 1991-1993.

United Church of Canada. Permanent Committee on Finance.

  • Corporate body
  • 2003-2011

The Committee is one of the four committees of the Executive of the General Council that was established after the restructuring of General Council divisions in 2001. It is responsible for overseeing and monitoring the financial life and policies of the General Council, including assets, income, expenditures, considerations of its short- and long-term financial issues, risk management, and investment and fund management; overseeing the long-term financial planning of the General Council; recommending the overall expenditure and income budget to the Executive; monitoring income, expenditures, assets, liabilities, and capital initiatives and reporting them regularly to the Executive and; recommending financial strategies.

The Permanent Committee on Finance is made up of 9 to 12 voting members reflecting the gender, race, ethnic, age, vocation, and geographical diversity of The United Church of Canada and three voting members of the Executive of the General Council. The General Council Officer for Finance is the staff resource to the committee.

United Church of Canada. Permanent Committee on Governance Planning and Budgeting Processes.

  • Corporate body
  • 2003-2008

The Permanent Committee on Governance Planning and Budgeting Processes (PC-GPBP) was one of the four Permanent Committees set up to assist the General Council Executive in it’s work. The Committee was charged with assisting the Executive to develop it’s governance, planning and budgeting processes. It created and recommended strategies or processes through which the Executive could carry out its governance planning and budgeting roles. Specifically, it reviewed work coming before the Executive; ensured planning with the committees and units was held up and came to the Executive in a coherent, integrated and manageable form; co-ordinated and presented policy recommendations; ensured accountability for delegated tasks; made decisions as delegated in the area assigned and delegated other functions to Working Units, sub-committees or other task groups; ensured and modelled the principle of collaboration between staff and elected members; carried out other functions as requested and advised and guided the Executive on matters relevant to its mandate.

This committee was a Permanent Committee of the General Council from 2003-2008 at which point a new Terms of Reference was adopted and most work of the Committee moved to the Committee on Governance and Agenda.

Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1795

The Wesleyan Methodist Church, established in England, was based on the teachings of John Wesley, who died in 1791; its date of creation is generally given as 1795, when the Wesleyans separated from The Church of England. The British Wesleyan missions commenced in Newfoundland in 1765 or 1766; in the Maritimes in 1799 (replacing the American connection); and in Lower and Upper Canada after the War of 1812-1814, establishing themselves as far west as Niagara and St. Catharines by 1820. In the meantime by 1817, the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society had been formally established, assuming responsibility for missionary work around the world, including British North America. Problems over jurisdiction in the Canadas between the American Methodist Episcopals and British Wesleyans resulted in an agreement reached in 1820 whereby Lower Canada was allotted to the British Wesleyans (with the exception of the east side of the Ottawa River), and Upper Canada to the American Methodists (with the exception of Kingston). Lower Canada, after 1841 Canada East (Quebec), was organized as a District under the direction of the Missionary Society in 1817 and remained so until 1854, when it formally united with the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada already in existence in Canada West (Ontario). British Wesleyans were ready to return to Upper Canada by the early 1830s. A union between the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada and the British Wesleyans in 1833 in the establishment of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada averted conflict between the two groups (but resulted in the establishment of another Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada, 1834-1883/Fonds 6). This union, moreover, extended the control which the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society had in Upper Canada: to have final say on appointment of all Canadian Wesleyan ministers, most of the funds raised for missions, and appointment of a Superintendent of Missions. This and other divisive issues forced the dissolution of the union between 1840 and 1847. After the reunion in 1847, the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society began to withdraw from significant responsibility for mission work in Canada West and in British North America generally, although money for the work here continued to be provided. The first British Wesleyan missionary to be appointed among Canada's Aboriginal People was Thomas Turner in 1832; his mission bordered the St. Clair River in Upper Canada. In the late thirties, missions opened on the shores of Lakes Superior and Huron and after 1840 in Hudson's Bay Company territory. The Hudson's Bay Missions were administered directly from Britain until 1854 when they too became the responsibility of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada.

Results 1 to 20 of 135