Mostrando 19757 resultados

People and organizations

Canada. Dept. of Labour. Economics and Research Branch

  • Entidade coletiva

The Economics and Research Branch of the Dept. of Labour was tasked with the charge of "economic analysis and research in the field of labour" for the Government of Canada in the 1950s. Like most government research agencies, the Economics and Research Branch focused its research on areas that might affect policy decisions in the department. For the Dept. of Labour, those areas were employment, manpower development, labour market, labour relations, and labour standards and safety. In 1966, the responsibilities of labour research were transferred to the Department of Manpower and Immigration. In 1976, the remainder of the Economics and Research Branch was re-arranged to become the Labour Data Branch.

Canada. Royal Canadian Navy. H.M.C.S. Point Edward. Naval Records Centre

  • Persona

HMCS Protector II, which is better known as Point Edward Naval Base, was opened near Sydney, Nova Scotia in 1943 for the business of repairing and refitting ships. The Naval Records Centre (NRC) lasted from the base's beginnings in World War II until the base's closure in 1966. The Records Centre was the "main registry" of records for the entire navy, and it accumulated over 20,000 feet of documents in its of operation. The most common documents were ships' general subject files and navy personnel files. When it closed, 80% of the documents were disposed of and the rest were shipped to the Public Archives Records Centre. As of 2009, the records can be accessed at Library and Archives Canada.

Canada. Dept. of National Defence. Planning Guidance Team

  • Entidade coletiva

In 1976 the Director General Capabilities Planning changed its name to the Planning Guidance Team. This team of Senior Policy Analysts consisted of one colonel in each element (Land, Air and Maritime) and a senior civilian analyst. The Planning Guidance Team's terms of references included the preparation of Statement of Operational Requirements (Preliminary) and Defence Services Program documents for the Assistant Deputy Minister (Policy) as well as advising in the preparation of narrative portions of all project documents. In 1988 the Planning Guidance Team and Strategic Assessment Team were grouped into a new Policy Planning Team.

Canada. Dept. of National Defence. Chief Land Doctrine and Operations

  • Entidade coletiva

The Chief Land Doctrine and Operations (1977-1991) succeeded the former Chief Land Operations (1972-1976), and was, in turn, succeeded in 1991 by Director General Land Force Development (DGLFD). The body was responsible for land force development and restructuring, as well as the formation of doctrine and policy guidelines.

Canada. Dept. of National Defence. Director General of Nuclear Safety and Compliance

  • Entidade coletiva

The Director of Nuclear Safety and Compliance (DNSC) was established 1 July 1987, and was accountable for the development, implementation and coordination of a comprehensive departmental nuclear safety program, including nuclear submarine and research reactor systems, with a view to ensuring design and operational safety. The continued auditing of Dept. of National Defence (DND) compliance with this program by DNSC includes authority to cease operations and reject systems design(s) where nuclear safety is deemed inadequate. Reporting to the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, the DNSC is a key position in the departmental nuclear power program. As the position's role is akin to that of the Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB) in the Canadian civilian nuclear power program, the DNSC consulted with the AECB in developing nuclear safety regulations and licencing procedures internal to DND operations. Most business was with AECB, CASAP (Canadian Submarine Acquisition Project), National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ), Liaison Staff, London (?) (LSL), Dept. of External Affairs and various Embassies, particularly the French and British.

Harris, Daniel G.

  • Persona

Daniel G. Harris was in the British Government service between 1940 and 1946. After returning to Canada he served as a Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve, and was instrumental in the founding of maritime museums in Vancouver and Kingston. He has lectured widely on Canadian maritime archaeology in Denmark, Finland and Sweden, and on Scandinavian nautical subjects throughout Canada.

Gauthier, Charles, J., 1927-

  • Persona

Charles J. Gauthier (1927 - ) was a Major General and Associate Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) with the Department of National Defence (DND) from 1980 to 1982. He was born in North Bay, Ontario and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1950. After various appointments, in 1957 Gauthier was posted as a staff officer in Tirer, West Germany. Returning to Canada in 1960, Gauthier served RCAF Station Uplands before commanding the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre in Montreal. He spent a year at Staff College in Toronto before returning to Europe in 1968 as the Executive Assistant to the Commander of 1 Air Division. In 1973, Gauthier became Director of Policy Co-ordination and Review and, the next year, Acting Director General, Departmental Administrative Services. In 1975, he was appointed Commander of Canadian Forces Base Ottawa - a posting held until his promotion to Brigadier General and appointment as Director General Departmental Administrative Services in 1977. It was in 1980 that he was promoted Major General and appointed Associate ADM (Policy) and Chief of Evaluation. Retiring from the Forces in 1982, Gauthier became the Director General Executive Secretariat, a civilian position which he held until October 1989. In October 1989, General Gauthier began a special project, under the auspices of the Directorate of History, to research and document the formulation of Canadian defence policy from 1970 to 1990. This fonds, including the narratives listed as files 53-60, resulted from the project.

United States. Dept. of the Army. Professional Development of Officers Study Group

  • Entidade coletiva

The Professional Development of Officers Study Group was chartered by the United States Chief of Staff, Army (CSA) in May 1984 to evaluate the officer professional development system, focus on training and education in Army schools and units, identify systematic strengths and weaknesses, develop findings and make recommendations to the CSA. The group was to look at all aspects of professional development, from precommissioning to the end of service, across the total army - active and reserve components - during the period 1985-2025.

Fraser-Harris, A.B.F.

  • Persona

Alexander Beaufort Fraser Fraser-Harris served with the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) during 1946-1965 and attained the rank of Commodore. Born on 16 November 1916 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, he was educated in Eastbourne, England and received a Commonwealth Scholarship to the Royal Naval College Dartmouth in 1930 at the age of 13. He obtained his early training with the Royal Navy and served as Midshipman in Repulse and destroyer Westcott, taking part in the International Patrol during the Spanish Civil War in 1936. In 1939, he engaged in convoy patrols, anti-submarine and air defence over the North Sea. Promoted Lieutenant in February, he completed Flying Training and was awarded wings in April. In 1940, he participated in raids over Norway before being appointed to 759 Fighter Training Squadron as instructor. Promoted to Flight Commander in 1941 and Chief Flying Instructor & Commander Flying in 1944, he then transferred to the RCN in 1946, taking on the position of Commanding Officer of No.1 Training Air Group. Promoted to Commander in 1948 and to Captain in 1954, he was appointed Director of Naval Aviation at the Headquarters in Ottawa. In December 1956, he was assigned to the United Nations force for peacekeeping duty in the Suez War Zone and designated as Naval Deputy to General Burns, United Nations Commander. In July 1957, he joined the staff of the Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic as Assistant Director Plans of Annual Review. He was promoted Commodore and appointed Assistant Chief of Staff (Air & Warfare) in October 1962 before being honorably released in April 1965.

Alexander, Albert V., 1885-1965

  • Persona

Albert Victor Alexander (1885-1965) was the First Lord of the Admiralty during the Second World War. Born at Weston-Super-Mare, England, he began a career in educational administration in 1898, which was to last until 1920. In the general election of 1922 he was returned as the Labour and Co-operative Party candidate in the Hillsborough division of Sheffield. He held the seat, except for a brief period (1931-1935) until 1950. When the Labour Party won the 1929 general election, Alexander was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty. His most important work lay in the negotiation of the London Naval Treaty signed in 1930. Alexander lost his seat in 1931, but was returned in 1935 and became the principal Opposition spokesman on naval affairs. He was then re-appointed as First Lord of the Admiralty in 1940 when Churchill formed his wartime Government. After the war he was replaced as First Lord during the short caretaker Government which preceded the general election of 1945, but he returned to the Admiralty for his third term of office as First Lord when the Labour Party emerged victorious. In December 1946 Alexander was appointed as first minister of the new Department of Defence. The general election of 1950 signaled the end of Alexander's career as a departmental minister. He became chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and when Labour went out of office in 1951 he became deputy leader of the Opposition in the House of Lords. In 1950 he was created a viscount, and in 1963, an earl. Alexander died in London.

Somerville, James Fownes, Sir, 1882-1949

  • Persona

James Fownes Somerville (1882-1949) served with the Royal Navy and was Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Fleet during the Second World War. Born at Weybridge, Surrey, he joined the Britannia as a naval cadet in 1897, went to sea the next year, and became a lieutenant in 1904. He was promoted to commander in 1915 and to captain in 1921. He then became flag captain, and from 1925 to 1927 was director of the signal department at the Admiralty. From 1929 to 1931 Somerville was one of the directing staff at the Imperial Defence College. A Rear-Admiral in 1933, and a Vice-Admiral in 1937, he was appointed Commander-in-Chief in 1938 in East Indies. The next year he was invalided home for illness. Recalled to the navy on the outbreak of war in 1939, Somerville was engaged with the development and production of radar. He was then selected to command Force H at Gibraltr. In March 1942 after the entry of Japan into the war, he was appointed commander-in-chief of the Eastern Fleet. In October 1944 Somerville was sent to Washington as head of the British Admiralty delegation. Promoted to Admiral of the fleet in 1945, he remained in Washington until the end of the year. He died in Somerset.

North Atlantic Treaty Organization

  • Entidade coletiva

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is an organization developed to implement the North Atlantic Treaty of 1949, which sought to establish a military counterweight to a Soviet military presence in Europe. It is an alliance based on political and military cooperation among independent member countries., established in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. As stated in the preamble to the North Atlantic Treaty, alliance members are committed to safeguarding the freedom, common heritage and civilization of their peoples, founded on the principles of democracy, individual liberty and the rule of law. NATO members include Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Norway, Czech Republic, Spain, Poland, Portugal, Turkey, the United Kingdomand the United States.

Steiger, A.G.

  • Persona

Alfred Gunther Steiger (1900-1972) worked as a civil servant in the Canadian Army Historical Section and made a unique contribution to the Canadian Army's official histories as an expert on German military documents. Born in Zurich, Switzerland, Steiger studied at the Universities of Berne and Zurich without taking a degree. He came to Canada in 1926 and enlisted in 1940 with the Victoria Rifles of Canada as a private. In 1944 he was transferred to the Canadian Intelligence Corps as a warrant officer and was commissioned later that year. He began work with the Historical Section of the general Staff in 1946, being promoted captain shortly afterwards. He was discharged from the army in 1947 but remained in the Historical Section as a civil servant. After his retirement in 1966 he continued to work with the new Directorate of History on a personal-contract basis until his death in 1972.

International Malleable Iron Company

  • F17
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1912 - 1989

The International Malleable Iron Company (IMICO) manufactured malleable grey and ductile iron castings in Guelph. IMICO was an iron foundry opened in 1912 by the Carver family, which had emigrated from England and later settled in Canada and the United Stated.

The IMICO plant was located at 200 Beverley Street in Guelph and occupied a 7.5 acre site. IMICO produced custom sand casting molded products for the automotive, rail, agricultural and energy sectors.

By 1947, IMICO employed 500 employees. In 1988, IMICO had sales of approximately $20 million to $25 million and employed 250 workers.

IMICO declared bankruptcy and abandoned the Beverley Street site in 1989. With the plant closure, two hundred and thirty workers lost their jobs. The contaminated site was sold by IMICO's American parent company to a local business man for a dollar.

Guelph Concert Band

  • F25
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1968 -

The Guelph Concert Band was established on November 26,1968 as the successor to the Guelph Musical Society Band. The Band was initially founded on June 27, 1878 as the Musical Society Band but in 1899 it changed its name to the Guelph Musical Society Band. Except for a short period from 1944-1945, when it called itself the Guelph Municipal Society Band, it existed under that name until 1968. The change in name and the adoption of a new constitution in 1968 reflected the band's changing emphasis from street parades to concert style performances.

The mission of the Guelph Concert Band is to 1) provide high standard of concert band music for Guelph citizens and the greater community; and, 2) to provide and opportunity for persons to develop their musical ability within public performance settings.

The Band is led by a group of elected and appointed officers. The elected officers consist of a chairman, secretary, treasurer, and four executives; the appointed directors include an assistant director of music, librarian, property person, and any other officers as deemed necessary. The elected officers also form the Executive Committee.

The Guelph Concert Band has been involved in a variety of musical activities and has played a diverse repertoire over the many decades of its existence. In its early years, military music was prominent, but the band was also a regular and important feature of Guelph parades and fairs. The band continues to be a presence at many civic events and to be a vital part of Guelph's many festivals.

Fish, Albert, 1922-2006

  • F34
  • Persona
  • 1922 -2006

Albert Fish was a real estate developer and appraiser in Guelph and a former member of Parliament. Born in Preston, England, Mr. Fish served in the Royal Air Force and emigrated to Canada in 1949 with his wife and eldest child. He settled in Guelph and began work in real estate in 1954.

In 1957, he opened Albert Fish Real Estate Limited. As an active member of the real estate community, Albert Fish became president of the Guelph Real Estate Board in 1962. He served as regional vice-president of the Ontario Real Estate Association from 1964 to 1965 and in 1969 became president of the association. In 1973, he became president of the Canadian Real Estate Association.

In the federal election of May 1979, Albert Fish was elected as the Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament for Guelph and served for several months in the government of Prime Minister Joe Clark. He was defeated in the February 1980 federal election that followed the downfall of the Clark government.

In 1986, Albert Fish was elected president of the International Real Estate Federation, having served as president of the association's Canadian chapter in 1978-1979. He continued with his consulting and appraisal work during this time. He died April 5, 2006 at 83 years of age.

Stewart, Robert Alan McLean, 1916-2000

  • F38
  • Persona
  • 1916 - 2000

Robert Alan McLean Stewart, a Guelph businessman, local historian, and collector, was born in Guelph, Ontario on July 1, 1916 and died in Guelph in January 2000. Except for a period overseas during World War II, he lived his entire life in Guelph. Stewart was unmarried.

Stewart received his education from Miss Hayward's Private School (1921-1922), Guelph Public Schools (1923-1929), and Appleby College in Oakville (1929-1934). Stewart started working for his father at Stewart Lumber Limited as a clerk in 1934, was made Vice-President in 1937 and President in 1939 after his father's death. Stewart ran the family lumber business until 1968 when it went into voluntary liquidation. Stewart also served in the Royal Canadian Air Force between May 1942 and June 1945, with a year in Britain where he served with Training Command.

Stewart was very involved with the local history community as a member of historical societies and as a contributor to Guelph's written heritage. He authored and published a two volume "A Picture History of Guelph 1827-1978". Stewart also collected, copied and preserved historical photographs and documents from many sources.

Stewart was involved in many other associations such as the Stewart Society of Edinburgh, the Royal Canadian Air Force Association, the Historical Automobile Association of Canada, the UEL Association of Canada, and the Royal Canadian Legion. He was also interested in flying, travel, genealogy, electric trains, and cooking.

Dorothy Shoemaker Literary Award Contest

  • F39
  • Entidade coletiva

The Dorothy Shoemaker Literary Award Contest was created in 1972 by the Kitchener Public Library Board to recognize the creative writing of children, adolescents, and adults. The contest is run annually. The Kitchener Public Library Board named the contest after Dorothy Shoemaker. Ms. Shoemaker was born in 1906 and was chief librarian of the Kitchener Public Library from 1944 to 1971, president of the Ontario Library Association, president of the Kitchener-Waterloo Branch of the Canadian Federation of University Women, and member of the Kitchener Waterloo Art Board. In July 1996, the Kitchener Waterloo Community Foundation received an anonymous gift of an endowment fund, to administer on behalf of the contest.

City of Guelph Board of Education

  • F40
  • Entidade coletiva
  • [184-?] -

The history of organized education in Guelph extends back to soon after the founding of the City. In the summer of 1827, John Galt began constructing a schoolroom, a room attached to the Priory, Guelph's first permanent structure. The following year, a separate permanent stone school was built to serve as the schoolhouse. In 1841, the District councillors invited Arthur Cole Verner to become headmaster of the Wellington District Grammar School, marking the beginning of formal secondary education in Guelph.

The first Board of Education proper met on May 11, 1842. The Board was chaired by Rev. Arthur Palmer with Rev. P. Wastel, Rev. Thomas Gibney, Rev. J. Smith, Dr. Henry Orton,, Thomas Sandilands, Charles Julius Mickle, William Neeve as members. A.A. Baker was the first clerk of the Board. The Board assumed control over all schools in the District and undertook inspections, repairs, staffing, and the establishment of new schools where necessary. On March 20, 1856, the first meeting of the United Board of Grammar and Common School Trustees was held and the City of Guelph Board of Education assumed responsibility for all schools in the City. In 1865, Henry W. Peterson drafted the first by-laws of rules and regulations for the Board. These served as the basis for all subsequent rules until into the 1960s.

In 1880, when Guelph became a City, the system of election of school trustees was changed to provide for the election of two trustees per ward, six City Council appointees (later reduced to five), and one appointee from the Separate School Board to make 19 members in toto. The electorate approved a change in the system in January 1933 whereby a municipal board of nine members was to be elected by the city at large. The one appointee from the Separate School Board was retained. In 1960, by provincial statute, the number of elected members was reduced from nine to eight.

From 1966 to 1968, the Boards of Education for the City of Guelph and Guelph Township joined and the amalgamated Board was renamed the Guelph District Board of Education. Further amalgamation was pursued and effective Jan. 1, 1969, the Board was officially named the Wellington County Board of Education. On January 1, 1998, in accordance with the Fewer School Boards Act, yet another amalgamation took place with the Wellington County Board of Education and the Dufferin Board of Education merging into one Board. The new board was officially named the Upper Grand District School Board. The Upper Grand District School Board comprises all schools in Wellington and Dufferin Counties. For a very short time during the pre amalgamation planning, the Ministry of Education named the two previous Boards District School Board 18.

For a more detailed historical treatment of the City of Guelph Board of Education, see Shutt, Greta. High Schools of Guelph. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1961.

Guelph Country Club

  • Entidade coletiva

The Guelph Country Club Limited was incorporated as a business on April 19, 1912. The company operates a golf course and country club that is located at 133 Woodlawn Road East. The Guelph Country Club is the oldest golf club in Guelph and continues to operate.

For more historical information on the club see Clark, R. Wilson, "The Guelph Country Club, 1912-1964: The Origin of Golf in Guelph." Historic Guelph: The Royal City 40 (2001): 61-67.

Resultados 1 a 20 de 19757