Showing 135 results

Persoon/organisatie
University Health Network Archives

University Health Network. Research

  • Instelling
  • 1999-

The vision for Research at University Health Network is to have global impact in biomedical and health care research. UHN Research includes five Research Institutes based out of UHN’s hospitals:

• Princess Margaret Cancer Centre (formerly Ontario Cancer Institute) which includes: The Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute and The Campbell Family Institute for Breast Cancer Research
• Techna Institute, at the Banting Building
• Toronto General Research Institute, at the Toronto General Hospital
• Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, at Toronto Rehab
• Toronto Western Research Institute, at the Toronto Western Hospital

Appointees to the research institutes include scientists and clinician-scientists. UHN Institutes and researchers are affiliated with the University of Toronto.

The research agenda is pursued through four Priority Platforms—areas of scientific focus that have been identified as areas of greatest potential impact on health care in the future.

UHN Research’s Priority Platforms are:

• Genes, Proteins and People
• Health Informatics
• Medical Technology Innovation
• Regenerative Medicine

The Vice President, Research reports directly to the CEO & President of UHN. The position of Vice President, Research (later Executive Vice President, Science and Research) has been held by Dr. Christopher J. Paige (1999- ).

Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)

  • Instelling
  • 1902-1926

In February 1902 an amended Act was passed changing the name of the Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) to Grace Hospital. This amended Act was assented to on March 17, 1902. In addition to the change in name, the Act to Amend the Act to Incorporate Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) indicated that the five Trustees of the Hospital could appoint up to an additional eight Trustees such that the Board would have a minimum of five and a maximum of 13 members. The Board of Trustees was now to be known as a Board of Governors. Judge J.E. McDougall continued as Chairman until his death in 1903. Edward Gurney succeeded him as Chairman.

In March 1926 Grace Hospital amalgamated with the Toronto Western Hospital.

Grace Hospital (Homeopathic)

  • Instelling
  • 1893-1902

In 1893 the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital moved to Huron and College Streets and was incorporated by a special Act of the Ontario Legislature on April 26, 1893 under the new name of Grace Hospital (Homeopathic). The Act was assented to on May 27, 1893. According to the new Act of Incorporation there were to be five Trustees: Judge Joseph Easton McDougall, Frederic Roper, William Barclay McMurrich, John D. Nasmith, and Edward Gurney. The Trustees were to elect annually a Chairman from among them. There was also to be a Board of Management to assist with the work of the Hospital. The Board of Management was to consist of no more than 30 “ladies” appointed by the Trustees to assist in the “domestic needs of the Institution”. In December 1894 the By-Laws of the Hospital were amended such that the Chairman of the Board of Trustees became the ex-officio President of the Board of Management and the Board of Management now consisted of both men and women.

In 1899 several allopathic physicians were appointed to the Hospital but maintained separate services.

Judge J.E. McDougall served as Chairman of the Board.

Toronto Western Hospital. Atkinson School of Nursing

  • Instelling
  • 1950-1974

In 1950 the Toronto Western Hospital School of Nursing was renamed the Atkinson School of Nursing of the Toronto Western Hospital when a grant was received from the Atkinson Foundation for Nursing Education. At the same time the School became independent of the Toronto Western Hospital's Department of Nursing with the appointment of a Director of Nursing Service to head the Department, while Miss Gladys J. Sharpe became Director of Nursing Education, in charge of the School.

From 1950-1955 a pilot program was carried out at the School, by which the education program was reduced from three years to two years and a one-year internship. In 1955 this change was adopted permanently.

Following Miss Sharpe’s retirement in 1951, Blanche Duncanson (1951-1958) and Amy Griffin (1958 - ?) served as Director of Nursing Education. Beginning in 1972 the Atkinson School of Nursing was gradually phased out of independent existence, and in 1974 the School was formally dissolved and its functions transferred to George Brown College.

Cosbie, W. G., 1894-

  • Persoon
  • 1894-

"Dr. Cosbie was born in Toronto on January 29, 1894. He was educated at Upper Canada College as well as the University of Toronto Medical School. After graduating in 1915, he joined the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps. He served with the Third Canadian Division and was wounded at Vimy Ridge. His distinguished service saw him awarded the Military Cross for outstanding bravery.

Upon his return to Canada in 1919, he undertook graduate studies and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, as well as a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. He pioneered and refined certain treatments for gynaecological cancer. On September 13, 1921, he cared for the first patients who were treated with radiotherapy at the Toronto General Hospital (TGH).

Dr. Cosbie was a gynaecological consultant at the Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy at the TGH when his colleague, Dr. Gordon Richards, died in 1949. Despite the demands of a busy practice and lecturing and clinical commitments at the University of Toronto and at the TGH, Dr. Cosbie stepped in to fill the void left by Dr. Richards. Dr. Cosbie succeeded him as a member of the Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, as Chairman of the Advisory Medical Board and its Executive Committee. He also played an important role in discussions with the provincial government, ultimately leading to the establishment of the Ontario Cancer Institute.

He retired from the staff of the university in 1954 and accepted the post of Medical Director of the Foundation, on a part-time basis. Dr. Cosbie had unofficially been performing these duties since 1949. The position became full-time once he retired from his private practice.

In 1957 Dr. Cosbie became Vice-chairman of the Foundation, a post he held until 1971.

On June 30, 1965, Dr. Cosbie stepped down from his post as Medical Director. Under his vigorous and able leadership, many new programs had been introduced and existing programs improved and expanded. He was an entertaining raconteur, a fluent speaker, and a skilled writer, making him an excellent representative of the Foundation and a strong proponent of its work. In 1973, after moving to Vancouver, Dr. Cosbie resigned from the Board after serving the Foundation and the Advisory Medical Board committees for many years."

Source:
Dr. W. Gerald Cosbie: Biography. NCIS Clinical Trials Group. http://www.ctg.queensu.ca/public/meetings/Spring/cosbie/cosbie.html. Accessed September 10, 2012.

Toronto General Hospital. Board of Trustees

  • Instelling
  • 1847-1986

The TGH Board of Trustees was the Hospital’s governing body. The Board was first legally sanctioned in 1847 when it was incorporated by an Act of the Government of the Province of Canada (10/11 Victoria, C. 57). The purpose of the Act of Incorporation was

<blockquote>to establish a Corporation...for the better management and disposition of the lands and property...held in trust for the...Hospital, and to make...rules and by-laws for the internal management and regulation of the...Hospital.</blockquote>

At Incorporation the Board of Trustees was composed of seven members, jointly appointed by the City of Toronto and the provincial Governor in Council:

<blockquote>the Mayor of the City of Toronto...the President of the [Toronto] Board of Trade...three persons resident in...[Toronto], to be...appointed by the Governor in Council, and also the two Senior Professors of any School of Medicine to be hereafter established in...[Toronto], and in default or until the establishment of such School, any such medical men resident in...[Toronto] as shall be nominated and appointed...by the Common Council of the...City [of Toronto].</blockquote>

The Board of Trustees remained the governing body of the TGH throughout its history, although the Board’s legislated composition, duties and powers were frequently modified. For example, the Toronto General Hospital Act (R.S.O. 1937, C. 396, S. 2) specified that the Hospital

<blockquote>and the property, revenues, business and affairs thereof shall continue to be under the government, management, conduct and control of a board of twenty-five trustees, of whom eight shall be appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, five by the Governors of the University of Toronto, and five by the municipal council of the corporation of the City of Toronto, and seven shall be elected by the subscribers.</blockquote>

Throughout its existence the TGH Board of Trustees was headed by a chairman elected from its membership by the Board. W.D. Powell (1822-1843), C. Widmer (1844-1865), W. Gooderham (1866), J. Macdonald (1866-1867; 1872-1875), J. Sterling (1868), A. Wilson (1868-1871), C.S. Ross (1876), W. Elliott (1876), W.H. Howland (1877-1878), C.S. Patterson (1879-1888), W.S. Lee (1889-1901), J.L. Blaikie (1902-1904), J. Flavelle (1904-1921), C.S. Blackwell (1921-1932), MH. Irish (1932-1935), E.C. Fox (1936-1945), N.C. Urquhart (1946-1965), T.J. Bell (1966-1985), A. Powis (1986) chaired the Board of Trustees.

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Computer Services Committee

  • Instelling
  • 1977-1983?

The Computer Services Committee was established in 1977.

The Computer Services Committee was responsible for reviewing and monitoring established medical applications of computers at the OCI, in relation to service, research, and education. Some of the functions of the Computer Services Committee included:
• Making recommendations concerning medical uses of computers and new medical applications
• Helping medical users define and develop projects
• Proposing priorities for new medical computer projects
• Serving as a "medical data base committee", reviewing and revising the medical content of the Registration-activity system and other substantial files of medically useful data
• Evaluating proposals for new computer hardware

The Computer Services Committee membership were drawn from the department of Radiation Oncology as well as Medical Records, Administration, Medical Staff, Nursing, and OPD.

J.E. Till was the chair of the Computer Services Committee from 1977 to 1983.

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Operating Room Committee

  • Instelling
  • ?-1997?

The date of the first meeting of the Operating Room Committee is not known. The first minutes to survive in the Archives are from January 29, 1991.

The Operating Room Committee was responsible for developing, reviewing and monitoring policies and procedures pertaining to the Princess Margaret Hospital Operating Room. It was also responsible for ensuring the safety of patients, a high quality of patient care and the efficient and effective functioning of the service. Some of the functions of the Operating Room Committee included: making recommendations regarding priorities in the acquisition of major equipment, developing a policy for appropriate utilization of the Operating Room and a regular review of its statistics, and reviewing reports related to quality assurance activities in the Operating Room.

The Operating Room Committee met every two months, not less than six times a year and reported to the Medical Advisory Committee at least twice a year.

The Operating Room Committee membership included: the Operating Room Head Nurse, one representative from the Department of Anaesthesia, two Surgical Consultants, and two representatives of the Department of Radiation Oncology.

A. Fyles was the chair of the Operating Room Committee in 1991.

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee

  • Instelling
  • ?-1997?

The date of the first meeting of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee is not known. The first minutes to survive in the Archives are from November 29, 1978.

The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee was responsible for recommending or assisting in the formulation of broad professional policies regarding all matters pertinent to drugs, and of programs designed to meet the needs of the professional staff for complete current knowledge on matters related to drugs and drug practices at the Ontario Cancer Institute. Some of the functions of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee included: assisting in the development of continuing education programs and other mechanisms to ensure that physicians and all health professionals were well informed with respect to current drug therapy, reviewing the pharmacy budget as necessary and recommending policies for the prescribing of drugs which would fall within that budget.

The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee met not less than six times a year, more if necessary; and reported to the Medical Advisory Committee at least twice a year.

The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee membership included: the Head of the Pharmacy Department, one representative from the Department of Medicine, one representative from the Department of Radiation Oncology, and one representative from the Department of Nursing.

R. Feld was the chair of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee from 1979 to 198?. The subsequent chairs of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee were C. Erlichman (1990-1991), M. Moore (1991-1992), and M. Minden (1992-1995).

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Medical Audit Committee

  • Instelling
  • ?-1990

The date of the first meeting of the Medical Audit Committee is not known. The first minutes to survive in the Archives are from July 17, 1986. The Medical Audit Committee changed its name to the Medical Quality Improvement Committee and adopted new terms of reference as per a suggestion at their meeting on October 11, 1990. The minutes of the Medical Quality Improvement Committee have not been transferred to the Archives but its terms of reference are available in file SF2: 10.30.

The Medical Audit Committee was responsible for establishing and maintaining a system of audit of the quality and quantity of professional work being performed in all departments of the medical staff at the Princess Margaret Hospital. Some of the functions of the Medical Audit Committee included:
• Reviewing all hospital deaths, autopsied or not.
• Evaluating the utilization of diagnostic facilities to assure optimal patient care.
• Periodically reviewing randomly inpatient and outpatient hospital records to ensure appropriate standards of medical care and documentation.
• Considering any situation within the scope of medical care in which a potential risk exists and initiating appropriate steps to correct such situations.

R. Hasselback was the chair of the Medical Audit Committee from 1986 to 1988. The subsequent chair of the committee was N.F. Boyd (1988-1990).

Princess Margaret Hospital - The Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee

  • Instelling
  • 1973-?

The date of the first meeting of the Princess Margaret Hospital - The Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee was June 7, 1973. It is also referred to as the Wellesley/PMH Liaison Committee, the Wellesley Hospital/Princess Margaret Hospital Liaison Committee, the Wellesley Hospital/PMH Liaison Committee, the Princess Margaret Hospital/Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee, and the Wellesley Hospital - Princess Margaret Hospital Liaison Committee.

The Princess Margaret Hospital - The Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee was responsible for the smooth operation of services that operated on a joint or co-ordinated basis between the Princess Margaret Hospital and The Wellesley Hospital. Some of the subjects of consideration by the Liaison Committee included:
• Inpatient accommodation
• Radioisotopes
• Clinical teaching
• Diagnostic radiology
• Library service
• Medical photography
• Pharmacy
• Animal quarters and research facilities
• Medical clinical matters [as suggested by medical staff members]

R.W. Stevens chaired the first meeting of the Princess Margaret Hospital - The Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee in 1973. It was agreed to alternate the chair each meeting between representatives of the two hospitals these included: P. Maclachlan (1974-1980), J.S. Proctor (1974-1976), and T.L. Avison (1978-1981).

The Toronto Hospital. Clinical Quality Assurance Committee

  • Instelling
  • 1986-199?

The Clinical Quality Assurance Committee was formed as a standing committee of TTH Board of Trustees in October 1986. The Committee was responsible for encouraging and assisting all clinical, non-clinical, and diagnostic departments in the development and implementation of quality assurance mechanisms. The Committee regularly heard quality management reports from various departments to determine the effectiveness of quality mechanisms. The Committee also presented an annual report to the Board of Trustees detailing its assessment of quality assurance standards at TTH. The Quality Assurance Committee usually met once a month. Chairs of the Committee included Dr. A.A. Scott (1986-September 1990), David Bawden (September 1990-August 1993), and Beverley McParland (September 1993-199?).

Toronto General Hospital. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology

  • Instelling
  • 1912-1986

The Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology were two separate services until 1912 when the University of Toronto decided to combine the departments. The beginnings of an obstetrical service at the Toronto General Hospital (TGH) are rooted in the 1877 arrangements made for the amalgamation of the Burnside Hospital with the Toronto General Hospital. The TGH erected a building with 40 beds to be called “Burnside Lying-In Hospital” on the North West part of the hospital grounds. The Burnside Hospital was opened in October 1878 and was serviced by the TGH medical staff. At that time, the two surgeons from the Burnside, Drs. Frederick Le Maitre Grasett and James Algernon Temple were given lifetime membership on the TGH staff. Between 1878 and 1891 there were 2096 births at the Burnside. By 1896-97 this building was also called the Lying-in Department or Burnside Branch of the General Hospital. By 1923 this department was variously referred to as the Burnside Department or the Burnside Obstetrical Department.

Starting in 1906 students were first admitted the birthing rooms of the Burnside Hospital, thus contributing to the teaching role of the general hospital. In 1908 an out-patient maternity service was developed by Dr. K.C. McIlwraith which cooperated with the Victorian Order of Nurses.
A Post-Natal Clinic was inaugurated in 1923. A Pre-Natal Clinic had already been established for several years at that point. The obstetrical services were moved to new facilities in the Central Building (later Norman Urquhart) in the 1960s.

By 1985/86 the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology came to include the Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine (also known as the Maternal and Fetal Medicine Division) which was formalized in November 1983 and included a Prenatal Genetics Programme and the Maternal High Risk Unit. It also encompassed the Reproductive Biology Unit, and the Special Pregnancy Unit which had started in 1984.

Dr. Adam Wright was head of the Department of Obstetrics until his retirement in 1907, followed by Dr. K.C. McIlwraith. When the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology were combined, Dr. McIlwraith became the Senior Assistant.

Meanwhile, the TGH Department of Gynaecology was newly organized in the 1890s. On the retirement of Dr. Uzziel Ogden, Dr. J.F.W. Ross became the head of the Gynaecological Service (1903), until his death in 1911.

The combined Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology was under the leadership of Dr. B.P. Watson (1912- ). Dr. J.G. Gallie was appointed to the staff in 1913 and regular antenatal clinics were organized in the Burnside department under his supervision. In 1922 Dr. W.B. Hendry succeeded B.P. Watson as Obstetrician-and Gynaecologist-in-Chief and maintained this position until his retirement in 1935. This position was also held by Drs. [W.A. Scott?] (1936-1946), H.B. Van Wyck (1947-1950), D.E. Cannell (1950-1965), W.M. Paul (1965-1969), and J.L. Harkins (1970-1975?).

University Health Network. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology

  • Instelling
  • 1999-2000

When The Toronto Hospital became the University Health Network in 1999, a new organizational structure reunited the departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology which had since 1998 been reporting to two different Vice Presidents. Gynecology had been reporting to the TTH Surgical Directorate while Obstetrics had been reporting to Community Programs and Strategic Alliances. The Obstetrics, Neonatal and Gynaecology programs were officially transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto) by the end of June 2000, as a result of the 1997 direction from the Health Services Restructuring Commission (HSRC). Gynaecology Oncology, however, remained at UHN and became part of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.

The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology was headed by Knox Ritchie from 1999-2000.

Agnew, G. Harvey, 1895-1971

  • Persoon
  • 1895-1971

Dr. G. Harvey Agnew (1895-1971) was a member of the TWH medical staff during the 1920s and 1930s and served as Secretary of the Medical Staff in 1924. He was born in Toronto. Dr. Agnew established the department of hospital administration at the University of Toronto in 1946. At that time, it was the first of its kind in Canada. In 1928 the Canadian Medical Association appointed him administrator of a new advisory service to Canadian hospitals. He was executive secretary of the Canadian Hospital Council (precursor to the Canadian Hospital Association) from 1931-1950. In 1950 he joined Jeergard, Agnew and Craig, a firm of hospital consultants, and in 1958 he formed the firm of Agnew, Peckham and Associates. Dr. Agnew was considered an authority on hospital administration and design.

University Health Network. Board of Trustees

  • Instelling
  • 1999 -

There are two fundamental elements to the role of the University Health Network's Board of Trustees: decision-making and oversight. The decision-making function is exercised with respect to the formulation (with management) of strategic policies, strategic goals and approval of significant actions; the oversight function concerns the review of management decisions, the adequacy of systems and controls and the implementation of strategic policies.

The board establishes formal delegations of authority, defining the limits of management’s power and responsibility and delegating to management certain powers to manage the operation of the hospital. There are also statutory limitations specifying responsibilities of the board that cannot be delegated. Responsibilities not delegated to management remain with the board.

The Board of Trustees at the University Health Network is responsible for maintaining accountability and providing stewardship. The Board of Trustees consists of both appointed and elected trustees. Each trustee’s position is for a term of three years. Appointed trustees initially included two from Cancer Care Ontario and four from the University of Toronto.

There are three advisory committees to UHN's Board of Trustees: Finance and Audit Committee, Quality Committee and Governance/Nominating Committee.

The position of Chair of the Board of Trustees has been held by Fredrik S. Eaton (1999-2000), Anthony S. Fell (2000-2005), and Philip Orsino (2005-2009), John Mulvihill (2009- ).

The Toronto Hospital. Department of Public Affairs and Communications

  • Instelling
  • 1986-1998

The Toronto Hospital’s Department of Public and Community Affairs was established in 1986, replacing the separate Public Relations Departments of the Toronto General Hospital and the Toronto Western Hospital. David Allen, formerly Director of Public Relations at the TGH, headed the Department from 1986-January 1998 as Vice President, Public and Community Affairs. In January 1998 the name of the Department was changed to Department of Public Affairs and Communications. Gloria Bishop (1998) served as Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications, reporting directly to the President.

The Department prepares and publishes the TTH staff newsletter and the Hospital’s annual reports; coordinates TTH fundraising programs; manages public events and ceremonies involving TTH; authorizes and supervises all internal Hospital information postings/ distributions; coordinates and manages media relations for the Hospital; and responds to requests from media and the public for information about the Hospital and its programs, services and facilities.

Toronto General Hospital. Medical Advisory Board

  • Instelling
  • 1876 - 1987

The Medical Advisory Board (MAB) of the Toronto General Hospital (TGH) was established in 1876, under the authority of the Medical Superintendent and was responsible for the administration of all medical services and facilities at the hospital until the TGH’s merger with the Toronto Western Hospital in 1986 to form The Toronto Hospital (TTH). Following the merger, the MAB of the TGH was succeeded by the MAB of the TTH.

From time to time the MAB of the TGH created various standing committees with responsibility for fulfilling specific functions related to the medical management of the hospital.

Although its composition frequently changed, the MAB of the TGH was generally composed of the heads of the various medical, surgical and clinical departments, with additional members drawn from these and other hospital departments. The TGH chief executive officer was an ex-officio member of the MAB.

The Toronto Hospital. Department of Strategic Planning

  • Instelling
  • 1987-1989

The Department of Strategic Planning was established in November 1987 and was responsible for the creation and implementation of post-merger strategic plans for TTH as articulated in the planning model entitled Vision 2001. A possible predecessor to the Strategic Planning department was the department of Program Planning which existed for less than a year (January 1987 to November 1987) with Vytas Mickevicius serving as the Director. Michael J. McCartney was the Corporate Director of the Strategic Planning department from November 1987 to November 1989. The department was terminated on November 30, 1989.

One of the main responsibilities of the Strategic Planning Department was the creation of a post-merger strategic plan for TTH which resulted in Vision 2001, a planning model tabled at an administrative think-in in January 1989. The department then prepared an implementation plan for Vision 2001 which was presented to TTH Board of Trustees for approval in late 1989. Strategic Planning worked closely with departments and their respective planning committees to help facilitate planning efforts and ensure compatibility with the goals outlined in Vision 2001. The Corporate Director served on many planning committees including the Planning and Priorities Committee of TTH Board of Trustees.

The Toronto Hospital. Office of the Executive Vice-President

  • Instelling
  • 1986-1992

The Executive Vice-President reported to the President/CEO. In 1992, the position of Executive Vice-President was merged with the position of Chief Operating Officer. The Executive Vice-President oversaw the administrative functions of the hospital including finances and internal audits, construction and planning, and human resources. At different points in time, some or all of the vice-presidents of the various hospital directorates reported to the Executive Vice-President. William Louth served as Executive Vice-President from 1986 to 1992.

Resultaten 1 tot 20 van 135