Showing 143 results

People and organizations
Baxter, Angus
Person

Angus Baxter is a noted genealogist living in Lakefield, Ontario. He has been a life long member of the Society of Genealogists in London, England. He also belongs to the Ontario Genealogical Society. Baxter has worked in the genealogical research field for over 40 years, tracing not only his own family history, but those of many prominent Canadians, including Samuel Strickland. He has written several newspaper articles, appeared on radio and television shows throughout North America to discuss genealogy. In 1978, Macmillan of Canada published Baxter's book, "In Search of Your Roots".

Belcher, John E. (Edward)
Person · 1834-1915

John Belcher was an architect, civil engineer, and surveyor who lived in the Peterborough, Ontario, region at the turn of the century. He was involved in the construction of the Chemong Causeway, the Peterborough Public Library, the Wallis memorial in St. John's Church, the Canadian General Electric Company and the Anglican Christ Church in Bobcaygeon, Ontario.

Bradburn, Thomas
Person

Thomas Bradburn was a local land holder and businessman who commissioned John E. Belcher to built the Bradburn Opera House, which opened in 1876. It was a white brick, four storey building containing an arcade, stores, municipal offices, council chamber, a large public hall and a turret with four faced town clock. The building was demolished in 1974 for the Peterborough Square development. John E. Belcher (b. 1834) was an architect, civil engineer, and surveyor. Born in Cork, Ireland, Belcher arrived in Peterborough in 1869 and opened a architectural firm that spanned almost forty years. Belcher designed countless fine homes and summer cottages throughout the region. Belcher will also be remembered for the commercial and public buildings he designed. In addition to the Market Hall and Clock Tower, he designed several other important local landmarks. For several decades Belcher was county engineer. In the early 1890's he was appointed town engineer for Peterborough.

Corporate body

In 1906 Brinton and Preen Carpets of Kinderminster, England, one of Great Britains most prominent textile firms, established a Canadian branch factory in Peterborough. The first plant manager was G.P. Preen. Gripper looms and other equipment invented by Brinton's were shipped over from England. In 1908 the company employeed over 100 people. In 1910-1911 the Peterborough factory was taken over by Canadian interests. Throughout most of its operation in Peterborough the company was know as the Brinton Carpet Works or Brinton-Peterborough Carpets. The Peterborough branch of Brinton Carpets became a leading manufacturer of wool and synthetic carpets and rugs. All designs, carding, spinning, warping, dyeing and weaving were done locally. The factory was located on a large lot south of Lansdowne Street at Lock and Braidwood. During the Second World War, Brinton Carpets was contracted by the Canadian Defense Department to manufacture all the cotton duck (waterproof coat linings) for uniform overcoats. In 1945 Brinton Carpets opened another plant in Lindsay to manufacture carpet yarns. The Peterborough plant was used primarily for weaving after the expansion to Lindsay. In 1966 the company was taken over by Armstrong Cork Carpets. One of the most popular Brinton carpet lines was the Sar-U-Kan Persion style carpet. They also produced a popular line of oriental style carpets. In the 1980's Brinton's closed their Peterborough plant. In 1999 the Braidwood Avenue factory was demolished. The large empty site is now being redeveloped for housing.

Butcher, John
Person · 1850-1937

John Butcher was born in Warminster, England in 1850 and emigrated to Canada when he was about 14. His first job was with Peck's Brewery on Maria Street, Peterborough, Ontario. Then he was a teamster for R.D. Roger's Mill. He was a talented musican, playing several instruments and he was a music teacher as well. He was the carillonneur and occassionally organist for St John's Anglican Church in Peterborough. John Butcher met Margart Ingram (1854-1937), daughter of Absalom Ingram (manager of the Rev Mark Burnham estate) when she began music lessons on a parlour organ. John and Margaret were married in 1874. They had seven children including Alex Butcher. Alex Butcher served overseas in the CEF during the First World War. He enlisted in 1915 and was made a Gunner Private with the 2nd Battery, 1st Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, 1st Canadian Contingent. Prior to serving overseas, Alex spent one year with the 57the Regiment in Peterborough. Alex Butcher was born May 2, 1894 in Peterborough. Alex inherited the Butcher family estate when both of his parents died in 1937.

Calcutt, Henry, d. 1913
Person

In 1832 the James Calcutt family arrived in Canada and settled initially in Cobourg. The family operated a distillery near the corner of George Street and University Avenue in Cobourg. In 1855 James Calcutt's son Henry, came to Peterborough with his bride, Isabella Green. By 1863, Henry Calcutt has established a large stone brewery between the Otonabee River and Burnham Street in Ashburnham (now site of James Stevenson Park). The business was very successful until Prohibition. It closed in 1922. Henry Calcutt died in 1913.

Canada. Royal Canadian Navy
http://viaf.org/viaf/154686290 · Corporate body · 1910-

The Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) was born on 4 May 1910 with the passage of the Naval Service Act. At the outbreak of the Second World War, the total strength of the RCN was fewer than 3500 personnel. The declaration of war saw a rapid expansion program as the RCN acquired destroyers, minesweepers, frigates, cruisers, and other vessels. The mainstay of the RCN during the war was the corvette. By the end of the war more than 106,000 men and women served in the RCN. Of is some 900 ships, 375 were combatant vessels and most had been built in Canada. The RCN shrank rapidly after the war and at one time had fewer than 15 ships in commission, but it began to rebuild after the outbreak of the Korean War. At the post-war peak in the early 1960s, the RCN possessed some 45 principal warships and was staffed by some 20,00 officers and ratings. The RCN disappeared as a separate service with the unification in the late 1960s.