Showing 20491 results

People and organizations
Adye, Ralph (1897-1982)
Person · 1897-1982

Reverend Edwin 'Ralph' Adye was born at London, England on 6 October 1897. He came to Canada in 1906 and attended school at Hamilton, ON. He served in the First World War and was wounded at Hill 70 in 1917. When he returned to Canada, he served on the staff of the Department of Soldiers' Civil Rehabilitation.

After graduating as an Anglican priest from Wycliffe College in Toronto in 1925, he served as a rector in Kinmount, ON. From 1928-30 he was Assistant Rector at St. Peter's Anglican Church in Cobourg and Rector at All Saints' Anglican Church in Whitby from 1930-1941.

While in Whitby, Adye was Chaplain of Branch 112 of the Canadian Legion and organized a drumhead service in Whitby on 24 October 1937 for Legion members throughout Ontario. He was Vice-Chairman of the Legion Provincial Command and Chairman of the Poppy Fund. During the Second World War, Adye served in England as a Chaplain with the Canadian Army from 1941-1945.

Adye was named a Canon of the Anglican Church in Canada and died at Florida on 12 April 1982. He is buried at Sanctuary Park Cemetery in Toronto.

A.E. Wicks Ltd
Corporate body

A.E. Wicks Ltd., founded in 1920, was a lumber company in Northeastern Ontario founded by Arne Ernie Wicks.

Corporate body · 1967-1971

The Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE) was formed on May 4, 1967, bringing together the Central Experimental and Proving Establishment (CEPE) and various other Canadian Forces testing and proving establishments and units. Its components included the Air Armament Evaluation Detachment (AAED) which became 448 Test Squadron, Experimental Squadron 10 at CFB Shearwater and 129 Test and Ferry Flight at CFB Trenton. AETE was consolidated at Cold Lake in 1971. According to the AETE Handbook, its role was "to provide aerospace flight test services, flight test expertise, and general engineering services for the Canadian Forces" (Library and Archives Canada).

Corporate body

The Aesculapian Society was formed around 1945. It represents the medical students of the University of Ottawa in its dealings with the Faculty of Medicine and other organizations. It organizes activities for its members.

Affirm United
Corporate body

Prior to 1982, various regional groups existed to provide support and strategies for lesbians and gays in the United Church: United Church Gays and Lesbians of B.C.; One Loaf (Regina); The Council on Homosexuality and Religion (Winnipeg); TOUCH – Toronto United Church Homosexuals; and United Church Gays and Lesbians of Quebec (UCGLQ). The latter group, UCGLQ, offered to host and organize a gathering in Montreal days before the 29th General Council in August 1982 to explore the possibility of establishing a national network within the United Church for gay and lesbian persons.

AFFIRM – Gays and Lesbians in the United Church of Canada was established on August 5, 1982 as a national network of regional groups of lesbian and gay members and adherents of the United Church to: "Affirm gay and lesbian people within the United Church of Canada, provide a network of support among regional groups, act as a point of contact for individuals and speak to the church in a united fashion encouraging it to act prophetically and pastorally both within and beyond the church structure."
Open to all gay and lesbian people associated with the United Church of Canada, AFFIRM members could participate at the annual general meeting and establish local groups which would have representation on the National Consultative Council. The National Consultative Council, consisting of chairperson(s), secretary/treasurer, and local representatives, would appoint functions to the local groups, deal with policy making, and to make decisions between general meetings.

Affirm worked with the support of allies within Friends of Affirm, an organization of lay and order of ministry people who supported the aims and programs of Affirm. Affirm/Friends of Affirm submitted briefs to church and government decision-making bodies, spoke at church meetings, and offered educational events and resources. The Affirming Congregation Programme was launched by Affirm and Friends of Affirm in the summer of 1992 to provide materials to study the issues of inclusion and welcoming of diverse peoples, namely gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people. Participating United Church organizations become Affirming Ministries.
At a joint 1994 annual general meeting, the decision was made to merge Affirm and Friends of Affirm at the national level to “afford new opportunities for all people regardless of sexual orientation to work together.” The new organization was named Affirm United/S’Affirmer Ensemble.

Agape Foundation
Corporate body

In the late 1960s, some members of the Adelaide Street Baptist Church and the Kensal Park Baptist Church were desirous of establishing a new, separate congregation. In 1968, Thelma (née Dale) Stinson offered the new congregation the use of her home at the north-east corner of Southdale and Wonderland Roads in London. The newly created Church at Westmount’s constitution was written in 1970. Mrs. Stinson sold a ten acre parcel of her land to the congregation in 1972. Despite declining membership in the church, the members of the Church at Westmount decided to take on an ambitious project based on the United Nations “Year of the Disabled” in 1981. In partnership with the Dale Human Resources Institute, the Church at Westmount established the Dale Home for Brain Damaged Adults (also known as The Dale Home) at the former Dale family homestead. One acre of land was sold in order to help finance the venture. In 1985, the Dale Home Board of Directors was formed and the Dale Home was formally opened. Because of the decline in church membership, and the need for the Dale Home’s expansion, the Church at Westmount was formally dissolved in 1988 and a new non-profit organization, the Agape Foundation of London, was formed. Since 1989, the Agape Foundation has assisted in development of the London area community through grants and special awards to non-profit, charitable groups working to improve education, the arts, recreation, social services and the environment. The Agape Foundation provides grants for start up costs and funds for organizations whose services would no longer be available to community without short-term funding. The Dale Home became Dale Head Injury Services, and later Dale Brain Injury Services. Dale Brain Injury Services continues to assist adults with acquired brain injuries in the London area.

Agar (family)
Family · 1856-1985

The Agar family's presence in Vaughan was initiated with the arrival of Hannah and Thomas, and their son Richard, from Moolson, Yorkshire, in 1830. They settled on Lot 11, Concession 10 and their descendants continue to reside in Vaughan.

Person

Major John Agnew, 127th Battalion, Canadian Infantry, served in World War I, along with his three sons, Lt. Donald Agnew, of the Canadian Reserve Artillery, Lt. Ellis Agnew, 351 Brigade R.F.A., and Lt. Ronald Agnew, of the Royal Canadian Navy. The Agnew family lived in Toronto, Ont. During the war, his wife Elizabeth Agnew, moved temporarily to Hamilton, Ont. while her husband and sons were overseas. Both Donald and Ronald Agnew became career military officers like their father. Brigadier Donald Robert Agnew was born in Toronto on 25 Oct. 1897. He was educated at University of Toronto Schools and Royal Military College. From 1947-1954 he was both Commandant of the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ont. and A.D.C. to the Governor-General of Canada. From 1954-1958 he served as Director of the Imperial War Graves Commission in North West Europe. He was awarded the C.B.E. in 1946. His brother, Commander Ronald Ian Agnew, was born in Toronto on 6 June 1895. He was educated at the Royal Naval College of Canada. He served in the navy during World War I on the H.M.S. Manners and H.M.S. Princess Royal and with the North Russian Relief Force in 1919. He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1935

Agnew, Edward, fl. 1905-1922
Person

Edward Agnew (fl. 1905-1922) was a farmer on Lot 6, Concession 2 of Nassagaweya Township, Halton County, Ontario during the early twentieth century.

Agnew, G. Harvey, 1895-1971
Person · 1895-1971

Dr. G. Harvey Agnew (1895-1971) was a member of the TWH medical staff during the 1920s and 1930s and served as Secretary of the Medical Staff in 1924. He was born in Toronto. Dr. Agnew established the department of hospital administration at the University of Toronto in 1946. At that time, it was the first of its kind in Canada. In 1928 the Canadian Medical Association appointed him administrator of a new advisory service to Canadian hospitals. He was executive secretary of the Canadian Hospital Council (precursor to the Canadian Hospital Association) from 1931-1950. In 1950 he joined Jeergard, Agnew and Craig, a firm of hospital consultants, and in 1958 he formed the firm of Agnew, Peckham and Associates. Dr. Agnew was considered an authority on hospital administration and design.

Agnew, Jean (Jean Dalziel)
Person · ca. 1993

Jean Agnew was a former Vaughan, Ontario resident, an active member of the Edgeley Women's Institute and a descendant of one of area's founding families, the Dalziels, which traces its lineage to 11th-century chiefs of the Scottish Kingdom of Mal. Ms Agnew was very active in the preservation of building the documentary cultural heritage of the City of Vaughan.