Showing 20491 results

People and organizations
Corporate body

The Addington District was comprised of numerous Branches over the years. The following are Branches which were within the Addington District and each corresponding date of creation and disbandment: Enterprise 1914-1930, Yarker-Colebrook 1927-1959, Newburgh 1929-1947, Fifth Lake 1935-1936, Centreville 1951-1953, Croydon 1923-1944, Moscow 1923-1991, Camden East 1927-present, Tamworth 1921-2004, Reidville 1928-present, Cloyne 1935-1983, and Denbigh 1951-[post 1984, prior 1993]. Addington District was occasionally referred to as South Addington District in the early Minute and Cash Books. Addington District amalgamated with Lennox to form the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute in 1993. The main responsibility of the Addington District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each Branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Much of the fonds consists of materials from the last six Branches: Moscow, Camden East, Tamworth, Reidville, Cloyne, and Denbigh. Beyond the financial reports, many of the documents pertain to discussions regarding Home Economics and Health, Tweedsmuir Histories, Historical Research and Current Events, Resolutions, Citizenship and Education, Agriculture and Canadian Industries, and Public Relations. The fonds presents many significant events and issues for Addington District. In 1927, it was moved to have the Secretary approach the Provincial Board about joining Belleville instead of Ottawa, a resolution passed asking for fairer representation at the Provincial Board. Many other resolutions were passed through the years, such as to promote large print in legal documents, to approach the government about the need for seat belts, and to protest the Liquor Control Board against issuing any licenses to Cloyne or the District. The group attending the 1928 District Annual decided to have an exhibit at the Centreville Fair and participated for many years. This District was involved in hosting many “Short Courses” and district-wide projects, such as emergency knitting. They supported the local 4-H Club, the Central War Fund, and various aspects of the Women’s Institute. A committee was formed to study all aspects for a home for the aged in the Lennox and Addington County region, and to ask Council to do the same. Often, local school classes would entertain the ladies during their annual meeting by singing. The Tweedsmuirs of Addington District contain information on District Annual meetings and information on the individual Branches. Addington District has produced one Tweedsmuir, which ranges from 1914-1993. The Tweedsmuir District Curators were Mrs. Harold Brown (1963-1967) and Mrs. Allan Carroll (1967-1976). It contains lists of the District history, District officers, District presidents and secretary-treasurers, Conveners of standing committees, condensed histories for each Branch, projects and special events by the District, and summaries from meetings (including dates and locations). There are also programmes, photographs, and newspaper clippings. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Addington District were: Mrs. A.E. Hoffman (1927-1930), Mrs. N. (Josie) Boyce (1930-1931), Mrs. W.W. Redden (1932-1934), Mrs. A Robinson (1934-1936), Mrs. George (Lillian) Walker (1935-1937), Mrs. T. (Jennie) Scanlin (1937-1939), Mrs. James (Rhoda) Milligan (1939-1941), Mrs. C.A. (Florence) Baker (1941-1943), Mrs. E. Boyce (1943-1944), Mrs. Ted Allore (1945-1947), Mrs. H. (Marion) Easterbrook (1947-1949), Mrs. Don (Jessie) Hannah (1949-1951), Mrs. C. (May) Hyland (1951-1953), Mrs. W.K. (Marion) Huffman (1953-1955), Mrs. P. (Helen) Galbraith (1955-1957), Mrs. A. (Roxie) Bauder (1957-1960), Mrs. Nelson (Ruby) Kennedy (1960-1963), Mrs. Allan (Coral) Carroll (1963-1966), Mrs. E. (Eleanor) Nowell (1966-1969), Mrs. Garnet (Helen) Wilkes (1969-1972), Mrs. Hugh (Cora) Reid (1972-1975), Mrs. Duane (Elaine) Williams (1975-1977), Mrs. James (Vera) Holmes (1977-1979), Mrs. Norman (Ella) Inwood (1979-1983), Mrs. M.E. (Eleanor) Kingsbury (1983-1986), Mrs. Douglas (Helen) Brown (1986-1989), Mrs. Corolyn Lawlor (1989-1991), and Mrs. Joy Lloyd (1992-1993). NOTES Information in the Administrative Sketch was derived from: the fonds, Fifty Years of Achievement / The Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – Ontario Women’s Institute Story / Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – “Adelaide Hoodless” from Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online <>. – “Social Control or Social Feminism? Two Views of the Ontario Women’s Institute” from Agricultural History / Linda Ambrose and Margaret Kechnie. – “‘But on the Farm… Feminism Means Something Else’: Ontario Farm Women and Feminism, 1900-1970” Thesis from Queen’s University, Library and Archives Canada / Monda Halpern. – Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario website <>.

Person · 1871-1954

Arthur Peter Addison (1871-1954) was a Methodist/United Church minister. He was born in Lloydtown, Ont. In 1900 he married Elizabeth Ann Scoley. He was ordained in the Methodist Church in Toronto in 1900 and served in various churches in Ontario. He served at North Parkdale from 1921-1924, and Humbercrest from 1924-1929, when he retired.

Addison, James L., 1854-1922

Dr. James L. Addison (1854-1922) was a medical doctor and businessman in St. George, South Dumphries, Brant County, Ontario.

Addison, Joseph, 1672-1719
Person · 1672-1719

English writer and politician who founded The Spectator along with Richard Steele.

Person · 1915-1997

George Arthur Addy was born in Ottawa, Ontario, on 28 Sept. 1915. He attended the University of Ottawa, graduating with a BA in 1937. He enrolled in Osgoode Hall Law School in the fall of 1937 and articled in Ottawa with lawyer J.F.L. Cote. During the Second World War, from 1940 to 1945, Addy was on active service, first as a lieutenant and then as a captain with the Regiment de Hull. He was called to the Bar in absentia by proxy in Apr. 1942. After the war, Addy was called to the Bar in propria persona in Oct. 1945 and began his legal career, becoming a partner in law firm Vincent, Addy and Carbonneau in Ottawa in 1948. He was made a Queen's Counsel in 1961. In 1967, Addy was appointed to Ontario's High Court of Justice and then to Federal Court of Canada (Trial Division) in 1973. He retired from the bench in 1990. George Addy died on 3 Aug. 1997.

Adjala (Ont. : Township)
Corporate body

In 1820 the Township of Adjala was surveyed for settlement. The first municipal election was held in 1842, with James Keenan elected reeve; he died in office and Henry McCullough was elected to finish the term. Under 12 Victoria ch. 81 the Township was incorporated in 1850. Effective 1 January 1994, the Township of Adjala amalgamated with the Township of Tosorontio to form the Township of Adjala-Tosorontio.

Corporate body

The Township of Adjala-Tosorontio was created effective 1 January 1994, as a result of the amalgamation of the Township of Adjala and the Township of Tosorontio. Also as a result of municipal restructuring, a small portion of the former Township of Sunnidale was annexed to the new Township.

Adkins, Harold (1911-1995)

Harold C. Adkins was the last reeve of the Township of Nelson, Ontario. He was first elected in 1952 and served until Nelson Township was annexed by the new City of Burlington in 1957. The township was perhaps most notable for its attempt to annex Burlington rather than allow itself to be annexed by that city. Harold Adkins, affectionately known as “Bud” or “Charlie”, was born on May 11, 1911 at Dresden, Ontario, to Elton James Adkin(s) and Martha Melissa Babcock Adkins. In 1944, he married Ida Constance Friars and the couple had five children: Marie Gale, Suzanne, Judy Anne and Thomas. As an adult he moved to Windsor where he worked as a sales manager for Ford of Canada. During the war he was in charge of shipping tanks overseas. After the war, he again relocated, this time to Cornwall, Ontario where he took on a Ford-Monarch dealership. Ida’s severe reaction to the polluted air there led the family to again relocate, this time to West Hamilton, and then to Burlington, Ontario. At this time, Harold obtained a real estate and insurance brokerage license and opened an office (Harold Adkins Real Estate and Insurance Broker) at the corner of Caroline and Brant Streets. Both Harold and his brother, Lawrence, were Free Masons with Brant Lodge. He entered politics in 1952 and served on city council for several years. He was reeve of Nelson Township in 1957 when it was annexed by Burlington. Adkins died at Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital, Burlington, Ontario on September 30, 1995, following a stroke

Corporate body

Admaston Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925; formerly Presbyterian; it included Grace Church in Admaston, Northcote, Barr's, and Hayley's.

Corporate body · 1925-

Adolphustown - Conway Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925 as Adolphustown Pastoral Charge, formerly Methodist. It included United Empire Loyalist Memorial Church in Adolphustown Township, Conway, Hayburn, and Sillsville until Hayburn and SIllsville closed ca. 1966. At that time Adolphustown and Conway joined Bath Pastoral Charge and remained part of that charge until January 18, 1983 when the two congregations formed a new two-point charge Adolphustown-Conway Pastoral Charge. It is an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.

Corporate body

The Adolphustown Women’s Institute located in the Township of Adolphustown, Lennox and Addington County, was founded on March 7, 1901 with Mrs. W.S. Duffett as the first President. Twelve members attended the first meeting. The branch disbanded on December 31, 1995. They contributed much of their last funds to the Terry Fox Run and the Loyalist Culture Centre, also known as the United Empire Loyalist (UEL) Museum. In the early years of the branch, there were many educational sessions and debates, often on topics of housekeeping. Other events were also held, such as lawn socials. In later years, socials came in many forms and were used as a fundraiser, a masquerade ball was a unique approach and euchre games were popular. At each meeting, a member brought in a mystery package and tickets were sold for the winner of the package. Bake sales were also a common fundraiser. In 1925, the branch held a box social and movie evening in the town hall. The Adolphustown branch often served tea and competed in displays at the Kingston Fall Fair and the Napanee Fair. Adolphustown branch was a significant promoter of literacy in its community, providing a library for its members in the early twentieth-century. The members went through many stages of supporting the library, dismantling and reinstating it at least once. One of their first fundraising efforts was to benefit their library. They held a concert in 1903 with proceeds to go to acquiring new titles. After realizing their profits, each member was asked to bring in a list of three titles suitable for their library to the next meeting. A librarian was appointed amongst the members and allotted an annual salary of seven dollars. Librarians and entire library boards continued to be appointed over the branch’s first fifty years. In 1907, prizes were given to school children who earned the highest marks in their entrance examinations at each of the three local schools. In 1926, the branch donated sanitary paper towels to each school and continued to do so for many years. Kingston General Hospital received gifts, monetary donations, and items for furnishing a room over the years from the Adolphustown branch. The branch also made donations to Queen Mary’s hospital for Tubercular Children. One of the significant achievements of the Adolphustown branch was the restoration and maintenance of the UEL cemetery. They first proposed action towards its repair in 1909, contributing five dollars to have the yard cleaned and some trees removed. The County Council supposedly contributed ten dollars to the Women’s Institute after their initial efforts to continue their work, specifically to build a fence around the cemetery. This service was of great value to the whole community. The branch continued to pay caretakers of the cemetery for over fifty years. During World War I, the branch’s first act towards supporting the war effort was personal donations towards a box for the Red Cross. They also knit many socks and had sewn articles of clothing. Significantly, they helped to purchase a motor ambulance for overseas. During World War II, Adolphustown branch contributed to the Central Fund for Jam, sent cigarettes to boys serving overseas, and made many items for the Red Cross. Shortly after, they sent funds to the Manitoba Flood Relief Fund and promoted their cause. Many “Short Courses” were held throughout the Adolphustown Women’s Institute history, such as Dress Making and Fashion Focus. However, this branch often sacrificed their courses so they had more time to spend on helping the greater good around the war years. One of the branch’s major accomplishments was their dedication to canvassing for the C.N.I.B.; they donated great amounts to this charity over the years. Locally, they contributed to Children’s Aid Society, Arthritis Society, Ontario Heart Fund, UEL United Church Memorial Fund, and MacPherson House. On the international stage, they also donated to Milk for Korea and U.N.I.C.E.F. Copies of the Tweedsmuirs, Volumes I through VI, of the Adolphustown branch are available on microfilm in the Reading Room of the Lennox and Addington Museum and Archives. However, this microfilm is very difficult to read. Also, the University of Guelph Archives holds a copy of Volumes I and II of the Adolphustown Women’s Institute Tweedsmuirs. Volume I and II of the original Tweedsmuirs are held at the UEL Museum in Adolphustown. The first curator was Miss Lillie Carr, stated in Volume I. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Adolphustown were: Mrs. W.S. Duffett (1901-1903), Mrs. William Magee (1903-1907), Mrs. Fred Allison (1907-1909, 1918-1919; 1921), Mrs. James Dorland (1909-1911), Mrs. W.D. Roblin (1911-1913), Mrs. E.B. (Edith) Johnston (1913-1914; 1917-1918; 1921-1925), Mrs. George (E.M.) Daverne (1914-1917), Mrs. Russell Cousins (1919-1920; 1925-1927), Mrs. Herbert Trumpour (1920-1921), Miss Majorie Allison (1938), Mrs. Gordon Mack (1938-1940), Mrs. R.M. Roblin (1940-1941), Mrs. Blake (Ada) Humphrey (1942-1945), Mrs. S. Simmons (1945-1948), Mrs. Ross (Evelyn) Allison (1948-1950; 1957-1958), Mrs. Albert (Mary) Steers (1950-1952), Mrs. Roy (Helen) Smith (1952-1954), Mrs. Roland (Grace) Stalker (1954-1957), Mrs. H. (Ann?) Ruith (1958-1959), Mrs. Blake Johnston (1959-1961), Mrs. Charles (Irene) Young (1961-1965), Mrs. Lyle (Judy) Smith (1965-1968; 1982-1984), Mrs. Charles (Edna) Robinson (1968-1974), Mrs. Hugh (Majorie) Allison (1974-1978), Mrs. Howard (Lois) McCullough (1978-1982), Mrs. Phyllis Reynolds (1984-1988; 1992-1996), and Mrs. Eileen Ford (1988-1992).

Advocates' Society
Corporate body

The Advocates’ Society was formed on 20 November 1963, with the intention of being a forum for discussion, education and fellowship among advocates. The first meeting was held on 17 May 1965, at which John J. Robinette became the first president. The Society’s mission is to provide a voice for advocates in Ontario, promote ethical and professional standards, teach skills, maintain the independence of the Bar and Judiciary, and to foster collegiality among advocates. The Society owns and operates Sir William Campbell House and produces the Advocates' Society Journal among other publications.