In 1895, following the purchase of property in Roxton Pond, Quebec, Arthur Monty began producing wooden planes under the name A. Monty. The land had formerly belonged to Samuel Dalpe, an early wooden plane maker. It came equipped with a sawmill, house, barn, and plane factory. In 1899 Arthur sold the property to his brother Adelard Monty, who would continue to produce planes using the same name. Adelard died in 1927 but the business continued to operate until 1935.
A. W. Gamage Ltd., often referred to as just Gamages, was a large department store in Holborn, London England. It was originally established as a watch repair store by Arthur William Images (1858-1930) and his partner Frank Spain in 1878. Over the following decades the business grew to take up most of the block it was situated on. The large department store had various departments for sporting and recreation, toys, and hardware. They differed from other department stores of the time by creating contracts will smaller manufacturers rather than manufacturing their own products. They also maintained a substantial amount of mail-order business, which included the mail order of livestock. The store closed in 1970 following the purchase of the business by Sterling Guarantee Trust.
Joseph Cunningham erected a store and dwelling in 1878 in Glamis, Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario. He ran the business until his death in 1918. Following Joseph's death, his wife Nancy and twin daughters, Laura and Lila, carried on the business until 1922, when Albert Arthur "Bert" Greer married Joseph's daughter, Laura Cunningham, and purchased the business. Shortly thereafter, Bert set up a seed cleaning plant in the building west of the storeBert and Laura's son, Ernie (Arthur Ernest Greer) took over the business in the 1940s, following his return from service in the Second World War. The store was sold in 1976 to Mr. Cornelius Nan.
The Aamjiwnaang First Nation (formally known as Chippewas of Sarnia) is a First Nations community of about 2400 Chippewa (Ojibwe) Aboriginal peoples (850 of which live on Reserve). We are located on the St. Clair River, 3 miles south of the southern tip of Lake Huron in the city limits of Sarnia southwestern Ontario, Canada – just across the United States border from Port Huron, Michigan.
For more details consult their website at https://www.aamjiwnaang.ca/history/.
Our heritage language is Ojibwa.
The name Aamjiwnaang, (pronounced am-JIN-nun) means “at the spawning stream.”
Robert B. Aaron is a lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, and has served as a bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada since 1995.
Edwin Austin Abbey, newphew of the painter, a graduate of St. Mark's School and the University of Pennsylvania, enlisted early in the war in a Canadian regiment, was wounded in April, 1916, returned to the front as lieutenant, and was killed in action at Vimy Ridge on April 10, 1917.
Abbeyfield Housing Society of Shanty Bay was a volunteer organization founded to bring a retirement home (O'Brien House) to Shanty Bay.
Samuel William Abbott (born 1840) and Hodson Gunning Abbot (born 1841) were brothers from Castlebar, Ireland. Their parents were Alexander Samuel Abbott and Dorinda (née Ruxton) Abbott. They were Wesleyan Methodists. The family moved to London, Ontario, Canada and began Abbott Brother’s Carriage Works, manufacturing carriages and delivery wagons. The company was located at 308-316 Dundas Street.
In 1864, Hodson Gunning Abbott married Elizabeth Beattie and they had five children together. Elizabeth died in 1872. He remarried Emily Hunt in 1876 and they had several children before Emily died in 1901. He remarried a final time in 1910 to Eva Mae Francis. Hodson Gunning Abbott and his family lived at the company buildings.
Samuel William Abbott married Maria Louisa Cohoon in 1870. He started the carriage company with his brother but eventually left the company around 1883 to work as a bookkeeper for McCormick Manufacturing Co. After he left, the company mostly went by H.G. Abbott Carriage Company.
In 1883, Hodson Gunning Abbott’s son, Frederick A. Abbott (born 1865) also began to work for the carriage company and boarded separately from the family in the company buildings. He worked mostly as a painter. By 1886, he had stopped working for the company in order to attend school and became an elocution professor in 1890.
In 1887, Hodson Gunning Abbott’s son, William Abbott (born 1869) became the new painter for the carriage company. By 1900, he had become the manager. After Hodson Gunning Abbott’s death in 1921, he took over the company.
The company ceased operations in 1925.
Douglas Charles Abbott (1899-1987) was a Canadian Member of Parliament. He served overseas from 1916 to 1918 and after he practiced law. From 1934 to 1945, he was a Parliamentary assistant to the ministers of National Defence and Finance. In 1940, he was elected to the House of Commons and from 1945 to 1946 he was the Minister of National Defence (Naval Services). At the same time, he was the Minister of National Defence. He became the Minister of Finance in 1946 to 1954 when he was appointed Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court of Canada. He kept this position until his retirement in 1974.
R.D. Abbott served with 4 Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, and was the Officer-in-Charge of training for Eastern Ontario Area Militia during the early 1960s.
Richard David Abbott was born in Ottawa, on June 19, 1936. He attended Carleton College in 1954 and graduated in 1957 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics. As an undergraduate student at Carleton, he was a member of the University's Canadian Officers' Training Corps and was President of Carleton's Students' Council from 1956 to 1957. In May of 1957, Professor Abbott worked in a summer position of the Treasury Board Division of the Department of Finance as a Finance Officer. Further, he recieved a Bachelor of Laws Degree from Queen's University in 1960. The following year he worked as a student-at-law at the firm of Bell and Baker in Ottawa. Professor Abbott was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1962 and later that year found employment as the Assistant City Solicitor for the City of Ottawa. During that same year he went on to attend Harvard Law School and received his Master of Laws Degree in 1968. In September of 1963, Professor Abbott was appointed the first, full-time lecturer in Public Law at Carleton University. In 1970, he worked as a Grievance Adjudicator under the Public Service Staff Relations Act and an arbitrator on a part-time basis under the Ontario Labour Management Arbitration Commission Act. On July 1, 1975 he became a Professor of Law in the Department of Law and was the Chairman of the Department during the years 1967-1970. Other academic appointments during this time were Visiting Professor, Faculty of Law, Dalhousie University (1970-1972); Visiting and Part-time Associate Professor, Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary. From 1980-1996 he was a Part-time Professor, Department of Law, and Professor of Law in the Faculty of Public Administration, Carleton University. Professor Abbott's professional memberships include the following: Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada; Member of the International Commission of Jurists (Canadian Section); Member of the Canadian Environmental Law Association; Member of the Committee of Adjustment for the City of Ottawa; Member of the International council of Environmental Law; Member of the Public Service Staff Relations Rights Tribunal. He also assisted the Education Relations Commission of Ontario in dealing with conflicts between teachers and school boards as a Final Offer Selector and served as an arbitrator pursuant to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan. Throughout his academic career, Professor Abbott has received a number of honours and awards. The following are some of these - the Carswell Prize in Legislation and Jurisprudence, Harvard Law School Fellowship, Graduating Medal from the Faculty of Law, Queen's University and the Law Society of Upper Canada Fellowship. Published material includes "Modification and Discharge of Restrictive Conenants Affecting Freehold Land" (1960), "Readings on the Law of Environmental Quality" (1971) and "Cases and Materials of the Law of Public Authorities" (1982, 1986, and 1992).
George Abbs (1822-1904) was a Methodist minister and editor and book agent of the Canada Christian Advocate. He was born in Arlington, England. In 1851 he married Susan Inglehart of Palermo, Ontario. He was ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1851 and served in the Toronto, London and Niagara Districts. He was at Nelson in 1863. From 1864 to 1870 be served in The Barton and Hamilton Circuits and was the Editor and Book Agent of the Canada Christian Advocate.