Showing 8913 results

People and organizations
Corporate body

1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack

  • 027
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - After 1962

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first meeting of the 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack, which was part of the Coniston Boy Scout Association was in October 1948. This 1st troop was affiliated with the All Saints Anglican Church and, in late 1948, a 2nd troop was formed which was affiliated with the Catholic Church (the French speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the English speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack held their troop meetings on Tuesday nights, but they would have events, such as tobogganing parties and parades, on other days of the week. Regular activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father & son banquets. The troop was funded through various fundraising activities, such as candy sales on Valentine's Day.

In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the 2nd troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen) listed in the scrapbook were:
Roy Snitch (1948 - 1949)
J. Rogerson (1952 - 1953)

25 Year Club

  • Corporate body

The 25 Year Club was a social club for employees of the United Church of Canada with twenty-five years of service. It was created circa 1959 by Nellie Swarbrick and Mabel Cranston of the Board of Foreign Missions, and Lillian Wright of the Missionary and Maintenance Department.

39th Henry Hank Torontow Scouts

  • Corporate body

The 39th Scout Pack formed under the leadership of one of Ottawa’s outstanding sportsmen, Jess Abelson. The date was around 1918. “ At the time the Boy Scouts had a Christian religious base and thereby precluded the involvement of Jewish youth. Jess felt that Jewish boys would benefit from the Scouts also, so he formed the 39th - one of the first Jewish scout troops in Canada.” During the period between 1930 and 1960, the 39th had many different leaders including Dr. Abe Slone, Jacob Greenberg, Harold Shaffer, Harold Rubin, Hy Maser, Arnold Borts, Sam Ages and Jack Goldfield. Between 1974 and l989, the scouting movement in the Ottawa Jewish community was inactive. In 1989, it was revitalized by an ardent Scout, Howie Osterer. The 39th was renamed the 39th Henry “Hank” Torontow Scouting Movement to honour Hank Torontow’s “distinguished meritous service as a Director of Scouting between 1957 and l971". Beavers and Cubs had previously been the important areas of continuity and continued to be in the 1990s.

408 Goose Squadron Association

  • Corporate body
  • fi. 2000-2013

The 408 “Goose” Squadron is an Association of retired and serving members of 408 Squadron of the Canadian Forces. The Squadron has a long history and celebrated its 67th anniversary of active service in 2008. The objectives of the Association are laid out in the Constitution and are:

• To sustain and reinforce the maintenance and friendship of former and present squadron members through reunions and other activities,
• To perpetuate the memory of 408 Squadron Members and their exploits, and
• To assist the Commanding Officer of 408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron in the execution of his/her duties

426 (Thunderbird) Squadron Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1954-

The 426 “Thunderbird” Squadron Association is composed of retired and serving members of 426 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Armed Forces. The unit was formed at Dishforth, Yorkshire, England on the 15 of October 1942 and was officially declared operational on January 11, 1943. The unit participated in Operation HAWK as a part of the USAF Military Air Transport System during the Korean War. As the RCAF’s only long-range transport squadron at the time, the unit initially deployed six aircraft transporting personnel and materiel to Japan to support the United Nations’ efforts. Today the 426 Squadron operates as a training unit in Trenton, Ontario.

4-H Ontario

  • CA
  • Corporate body
  • 1915 -

736 Outreach Corporation (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1986-2017

736 Outreach Corporation was established in 2011. It was an incorporated ministry of the Toronto Conference. The main function of the incorporated ministry was to manage and distribute the funds received from the sale of the Bathurst Street United Church building, formerly the building that was operated and used by the Bathurst Street Centre for Peace and Justice. The Corporation ran a grant program, where finances were distributed in a single payment or in a multi-year programs. The grants were distributed to assist community programs and charitable organizations that fit the mandate of the corporation. Bathurst Street Centre for Justice and Peace was an incorporated ministry of the Toronto South Presbytery. Its purpose was to “continue the development of a climate of partnership in which not-for-profit groups, committed to and acting for social justice and peace, can find solidarity with each other, support from the church and freedom to pursue their own approaches in all their diversity”. During the Toronto Conference presbytery reorganization in 2008 the Centre’s relationship with the Toronto South Presbytery ended and it became an incorporated ministry of Toronto Conference.

A. E. Ames and Co

  • Corporate body

A. E. Ames & Co., founded in 1889, was a brokerage firm based in Toronto, Ontario.

A. G. Smith Photo Specialities

  • CA
  • Corporate body
  • [before ca. 1910] - [after ca. 1927]

Photographs with credit to Photo Specialties credited ran in The Daily Star (Toronto, Ont.) from 1926 to 1927. They advertised their selection to storekeepers in The Daily Star in various classified listings in September 1910.

A.A. Greer General Store

  • Greer
  • Corporate body
  • 1878-1976

Joseph Cunningham erected a store and dwelling in 1878 in Glamis, Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario. He ran the business until his death in 1918. Following Joseph's death, his wife Nancy and twin daughters, Laura and Lila, carried on the business until 1922, when Albert Arthur "Bert" Greer married Joseph's daughter, Laura Cunningham, and purchased the business. Shortly thereafter, Bert set up a seed cleaning plant in the building west of the storeBert and Laura's son, Ernie (Arthur Ernest Greer) took over the business in the 1940s, following his return from service in the Second World War. The store was sold in 1976 to Mr. Cornelius Nan.

Aamjiwnaang First Nation

  • Corporate body

The Aamjiwnaang First Nation (formally known as Chippewas of Sarnia) is a First Nations community of about 2400 Chippewa (Ojibwe) Aboriginal peoples (850 of which live on Reserve). We are located on the St. Clair River, 3 miles south of the southern tip of Lake Huron in the city limits of Sarnia southwestern Ontario, Canada – just across the United States border from Port Huron, Michigan.

For more details consult their website at https://www.aamjiwnaang.ca/history/.

Our heritage language is Ojibwa.

The name Aamjiwnaang, (pronounced am-JIN-nun) means “at the spawning stream.”

Abbeyfield Housing Society of Shanty Bay

  • Abbeyfield Housing Society of Shanty Bay
  • Corporate body
  • 2000-2004

Abbeyfield Housing Society of Shanty Bay was a volunteer organization founded to bring a retirement home (O'Brien House) to Shanty Bay.

Aberdeen Association. Toronto Branch

  • Corporate body

The Aberdeen Association was a women's benevolent organisation affiliated with the National Council of Women. The Toronto Branch was established in 1899.

Aberdeen Women’s Institute

  • Corporate body

The Aberdeen Women’s Institute was a member of the Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario. It served the hamlet of Aberdeen in Grey County, Ontario, and most of the surrounding township from 1926 to 1972. Miss Reta Rodgers (Mrs. John Fletcher McLean) and Mrs. David Lamb, both with a keen interest in improving rural life, organized a meeting at Aberdeen School to propose the formation of a local branch. With nearly every home in the area represented, it was unanimously decided to organize the Aberdeen Women’s Institute with Mrs. Jas. Haslett offering to host the first meeting on June 22, 1926. In addition to attending and hosting lectures and courses on varied topics, the Aberdeen Women’s Institute provided both material and financial donations to organizations including the Children’s Aid Society, Red Cross, war and disaster relief efforts, as well as local hospitals. In the mid-1930s, the wife of Lord Tweedsmuir, Governor General of Canada from 1935 – 1940, suggested that all Women’s Institutes create local history books, which became known as the Tweedsmuir histories. The Aberdeen Women’s Institute participated in documenting the local history of its area through that project.

Abitibi Power & Paper Company

  • Corporate body

The Abitibi Pulp and Paper Co. Ltd. was incorporated in 1912 to construct and operate a groundwood pulpmill on the Abitibi River at Iroquios Falls, Ontario. In 1914 the Abitibi Power and Paper Co. Ltd. was organized and acquired the assests of the Abitibi Pulp & Paper Co.. Newsprint paper machines were subsequently installed at the plant at Iroquois Falls, and power sites were developed to provide hydro electric power for the mill. A commercial sulphite pulp mill at Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario was also acquired. In 1928 Abitibi acquired five other Canadian newsprint companies including the Spanish River Pulp & Paper Mills Ltd.which owned the mill at Sault Ste. Marie. The unwieldly capital structure from these mergers resulted in Abitibi going into recievership in 1932. A Royal Commission Report was conducted into Abitibi's finances on March 1941. In April of 1946 the receivorship of Abitibi ended.

Results 1 to 20 of 8913