Showing 22 results

Persoon/organisatie
Region of Peel Archives Instelling

Sons of Temperance of North America. Summerville Division No. 298

  • CA
  • Instelling
  • 10 Jan. 1890 - [after 20 Apr. 1894]

The Sons of Temperance was a men's brotherhood organization, promoting the temperance movement. New Brothers had to be nominated by the existing membership, and three other Brothers would investigate the nominee's life. The movement was founded in 1842, but the foundation and cessation of this chapter is unknown. Membership included William and Robert Pallett, of the fruit growing family.

Elsewhere in Toronto Township, nearby Burnhamthorpe had a hall on the southwest corner of what now is Dixie Rd and Burnhamthorpe Rd, from 1840 - 1874. The building was used for other purposes until 1927.

Central Public School (Brampton)

  • CA
  • Instelling
  • 1856 - 1983

Successor to a rough cast school on Chapel Street, the Alexander Street facility is known to have been open by 1856. Originally housing both elementary and secondary level students, Central Public and Grammar School became Central Public School in 1877, after the construction of Brampton High School. Even with the opening of additional schools, the facility repeatedly needs expansions to deal with overcrowding; the present structure dates to 1916. The school closed in the 1980s, was condemned, and then turned into a parks and recreation facility.

A variety of the mid-20th century public schools that replaced the site (Beatty-Fleming, Helen Wilson, and Agnes Taylor) were named for teachers from the facility. W. J. Fenton was also among the teaching staff.

Halton-Peel Holstein Club

  • CA
  • Instelling
  • 18 Sep. 1884 -

Halton-Peel Holstein Club, formerly Peel Holstein Club, operates out of the West-Central Ontario district of the Ontario Holstein Branch, the provinical link of the Holstein Association of Canada. The national entity was formed in 1884, the provinicial entity in 1981.

The groups' activities include the Halton-Peel Holstein Show, held during the Brampton Fall Fair, and social events for members.

Peel farmers were prominent in the breeding of Holsteins. The Holstein Association of Canada (now Holstein Canada) has had four national presidents from Peel: D. E. Smith, 1888-1889, Jack Fraser, 1948, Doug Dunton, 1962, and Howard Laidlaw, 1975. Local branch past-presidents include Town of Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson.

As of 1989, the group had members whose postal delivery was for routes in Georgetown, Norval, Orangeville, and Terra Cotta.

Cloverleaf Garden Club of Mississauga

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • 1944-

The Cloverleaf Garden Club of Mississauga was founded in February 1944 as the “Clover Leaf Horticultural Society.” In 1964 the name was changed to “Cloverleaf Garden Club” with the current name adopted in 1999. The club was started with the goal of providing a meeting forum for people interested in gardening.

The club is the oldest gardening club in Mississauga, and has been very active since its founding: at the first meeting 100 members signed up; by the end of its first year membership had grown to around 200, with overall membership hovering at or around 200 from 1946 to 2013. Some ongoing activities include booking guest speakers at meetings, hosting monthly flower shows, and taking part in annual plant sales and tours. The club belongs to the Ontario Horticultural Association (District 15).

The specific objectives of the club include:

  • Spreading the knowledge of horticulture by means of regular meetings, illustrated lectures, and free workshops
  • Holding exhibitions of flowers, vegetables, and decorative arrangements at which members are encourage to participate
  • Encouraging the beatification of home and public grounds
  • Stimulating the interest of children in gardening and the environment through the Junior Programme.

Various committees reporting to the Club Executive Board administer activities and programs in support of club objectives. As of 2013 the following committees are active: Awards; Bus Tour; Communications; Community Projects/Civic Program; Draw [raffles]; Flower Show; Garden Tour; Junior Program; Membership; Member Greeter; Newsletter; Nominating; Plant Sale; Official Photographer; Premiums; Program; Publicity; Social Convenors; Social Secretary; Yearbooks; and Website. The club used to have a Library Committee, but this has been discontinued.

Sources: Club Yearbook, Club website, and FAQ provided by the Club

Queen Elizabeth Home and School Association

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • Nov. 1934 - [1968]

Queen Elizabeth Home and School Association was an organization to represent parent interests at the Queen Elizabeth Public School, and help teachers organize class events.

The first monthly meeting of the Middle Road Home and School Association was held in November 1934. (1) The school was renamed in honour of the then-Queen Consort, Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon, better known as "The Queen Mother", in 1943, and the Home and School Association followed suit. (2) During the Second World War, the organization provided preschool services, to allow area mothers the time to take on war work. (3) Very active throughout the decades, they were the largest such organization in Peel County as of 1958, with a membership of 445. (4) During the late 1940s and early 1950s, the group ran an association library at the school, distinct from the school's own facility. (5)

A library at the site of the Queen Elizabeth Public School was started during the Second World War by the Queen Elizabeth Home and School Association, no later than 1944. It was completely separate from its venue and namesake, the school, receiving funding from both adult membership and government grants. In May 1948, it was spun-off as a separate organization, the Queen Elizabeth Library Association. It was volunteer-run, under direction of a librarian, Mrs. Wallberg. (6) Queen Elizabeth had the tenth highest circulation among the 219 Association Libraries in Ontario as of the 1952 annual general meeting. (7) As of 1952, the library would serve students on Wednesdays and Fridays through the day, and adult members on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. At some point in 1952 or 1953, the school established its own library for students.

Their January 1953 annual general meeting, intended to discuss the future of the library association, attracted only the members of its board. By March, the Toronto Township Recreation Commission was contesting the existing system of granting individual libraries and the Peel County Library Co-operative; previous correspondence suggests that the QELA wasn't able to get council to fund more than $30 per year. With only 10 members regularly borrowing books, the QEL didn't reopen in that autumn. (Records don't explain the sudden drop in users, although the school library may be key.)

Deciding that the members would be "adequately served by the Port Credit Public Library and the Cooksville Library", coupled with the school itself establishing their own library, they requested information from the Ontario Department of Education in October, requesting information on dissolution. Juvenile books were to be distributed to schools in south Peel, adult books to the Port Credit and Cooksville libraries, and remaining funds meant to purchase additional kids' books for the schools.

The Toronto Township bookmobile program was not started until 1958, and did not stop at Mineola until 1959. As of 2017, the closest branch to this area remains Port Credit.

The last known reference to the Queen Elizabeth Home and School Association was in January 1968. (8)

The Ontario Federation of Home and School Associations is the umbrella organization for this sort of entity. It was Canada's first provincial body for H&S As, incorporating in 1919. The first such group in Ontario was founded in 1896. Home and School Associations were similar to Parent Teacher Associations.

The school was also known as Toronto Township School Section No. 23.

Kalec-Forster

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • ca. 1923 - after 1941

Based on a document at mipolonia.net and the holdings at Region of Peel Archives, the company was named Kalec‐Forster from at least 1923 to 1927, and named Kalec Inc from at least 1931 to 1941. The business operated from 1420 Broadway (1923 to 1924), the "Hofman Building" (1925 to 1927, 1931 to 1932), and 5521 Cass Ave (1935 to 1938, 1940 to 1941).

Bramalea Parent Co-op Nursery School

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • [ca. 1975] - [ca. 1994]

Bramalea Parent Co-op Nursery School was originally created as the Bramalea Parent Co-operative Association, a group of nine parents from the Bramalea community, led by Anne Phillips. With the cooperation of the Greater Metro Toronto Parent Co-operative Preschool Council, the program was initiated "after some months," in September 1973, running two days a week.

The organization reached two milestones in September 1974. The first was growing to its maximum capacity of 42 children, spread between morning and afternoon programs, an enrollment cap that it maintained until at least 1991. The other occurrence was incorporation, incorporation was complete by February 1975. The co-op corporation became a registered charitable organization in July 1976. The group chose to become a formal affiliate of the City of Brampton in 1977, which afforded it various privileges, such as an exemption from Day Nurseries Act.

but also required the filing of board minutes, annual meeting minutes, and financial statements with the City.

The co-op had programs in music, creative arts (in partnership with Sheridan College), and Parent Education. The latter's involvement with the Toronto Association of Individual Psychology led to the creation of the Peel Parent Education Committee, formed of representatives from the Peel Children's Aid, Peel Family Services, Region of Peel Social Services department, the Brampton Public Library system, the YMCA, and Bramalea Parent Co-operative Nursery School. The organization also produced nine half-hour television programs, "Parents are People", aired on Rogers Cable 10.

The program expanded to three days a week in 1980, and five mornings a week in autumn 1985, split between two-day and three-day programs. With the creation of Junior Kindergarten in the autumn of 1989, enrollment declined and staff was decreased.

Avondale Recreation Centre

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling

Avondale Recreation Centre is 55 Avondale Boulevard, a structure in front of Victoria Park Arena.

As of 2019, the building is home to 758 Argus Squadron and Peekaboo Child Care - Avondale.

Humberdale Rebekah Lodge, No. 163, Bolton

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • 1911 - 2014

Bolton's Humberdale Rebekah Lodge, No. 163 was granted a constitution on August 11, 1916, and ceased operation in 2014. The Daughters of Rebekah, also known as the Rebekahs, or the International Association of Rebekah Assemblies, is an international service-orientated organization and a branch of the Independent Order of Oddfellows (IOOF).

IOOF is a fraternal society which provides insurance services to its members and also acts as a social organization. It originated in Great Britain, with the first Canadian Lodge opening in Montreal in 1843. In 1855 the Grand Lodge of Canada West was formed, which eventually became the Grand Lodge of Ontario. In 1868 the Grand Lodge allowed the formation of Rebekah lodges for female members of the order.

The objects and purposes of the Rebekah lodges, as of 1916, were declared to be as follows:

  • First: To visit and care for the sick; to relieve the distressed; to bury the dead; and in every way to assist their own members, and to assist Subordinate and sister Rebekah Lodges in kindly ministrations to the families of Odd Fellows when in trouble, sickness or want.
  • Second: To aid in the establishment and maintenance of homes for aged and indigent Odd Fellows and their wives and for the widows of deceased Odd Fellows; and homes for the care, education and support of orphans of deceased Odd Fellows and of deceased sisters of the Rebekah Degree.
  • Third: To cultivate and extend the social and fraternal relations of life among Lodges and the families of Odd Fellows.

Although initially designed as a female auxiliary of the IOOF, Rebekah Lodges now allow both female and male members.

Helen Wilson Public School

  • CA : RPA
  • Instelling
  • 1959 -

Students moved into the school 14 December 1959, and the school officially opened 5 April 1960

Lakeview Golf Course

  • CA: RPA
  • Instelling
  • 1907 -

Lakeview Golf Course is a municipally-owned golf course in the City of Mississauga. Designed by Herbert Strong in traditional, parkland style, the course was host to the first Ontario Open (1923), the first Ontario Amateur (1923), and two Canadian Opens (1923, 1934).

Atkinson Bros.

  • Frost postcard collection
  • Instelling
  • [190]-[190]
Resultaten 1 tot 20 van 22