Showing 33 results

People and organizations
United Church of Canada Archives Corporate body

Annan - Woodford Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • ON00340
  • Corporate body
  • 1970 -

Annan - Woodford Pastoral Charge was formed in 1970, when Annan Pastoral Charge and Woodford Pastoral Charge joined together. It included Trinity United Church in Annan and Woodfrod United Church, until Woodford United Church closed in 2004. It is currently a single-point pastoral charge.
Annan Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. it included Annan, Johnstone Church in Johnson, Leith
Trinity United Church, located at 303234 Sideroad 33 in Annan, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. The Presbyterian Church was established in 1855 and shared a minister with Division Street Presbyterian Church in Owen Sound until 1877 when it formed part of Annan-Leith Presbyterian Pastoral Charge. In 1906, the charge also included Daywood and Johnstone congregations. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It was also known as Annan United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Woodford United Church, located at the intersection of Mallory Beach Rd & 8th Ave, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed part of Woodford Pastoral Charge until 1970. The congregation closed December 2004.
Johnstone United Church was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian; it closed ca. 1969
Leith United Church was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian; it closed ca. 1969

Egmondville Presbyterian Church

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1844-1930

Egmondville Presbyterian was formed ca. 1844 and joined the United Church at the time of union.

Goldstone Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1886-2006

Goldstone Pastoral Charge was formed ca. 1929 when Stirton Pastoral Charge was discontinued, with Stirton closing and Goldstone and Goshen, which had been points on that charge, becoming a new charge; the charge was discontinued ca. 1939 when Goshen became a separate charge and Goldstone became a point on the Alma Pastoral Charge.

Methodist Episcopal Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1784

The Church was organized in the United States in 1784. This denomination sent preachers to Nova Scotia (1785 to 1800), to Montreal (1802 to 1820) and Quebec City (1803 to 1812), and officially to Upper Canada in the winter of 1789-1790--first through its New York Conference, then from 1810 to 1824 through its Genesee Conference, and from 1824 to 1828 through its Canada Conference. In 1828 the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada was established. In 1821 the Genesee Conference established a committee to consider the matter of evangelism to the Aboriginal People and contacts were made with the Six Nations Reserve on the Grand River. In 1822 Alvin Torry was designated missionary to the Aboriginal People in Canada; in 1824 the Canada Conference Missionary Society was organized; and in 1828 William Case accepted the post of General Superintendent of Indian Missions of Upper Canada.

Sutton West : Knox Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body

Sutton West: Knox Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian; it was also known as Sutton West Pastoral Charge and Sutton West - Virginia Pastoral Charge, and included Knox Church in Sutton West, Bethel Church in Georgina Township, and Virginia

United Church of Canada. Centralized Print Production Project Team

  • Corporate body
  • 1987-1988

Early 1987 the General Council Secretaries made a policy decision to centralize print production activities for United Church print materials originating at Church House. The above Group was formed in September 1987 to design a model to do this and develop a plan to implement it. The project group completed its work in May 1988 and presented a report to the General Council Secretaries. The Implementation Committee was then established to plan the process for hiring a Director, Graphics Manager, and Production Manager; to negotiate transfer of funds and consider personnel implications of the new department. The Graphics and Print Department was established within the Communications Department in 1989.

United Church of Canada. Committee on Ecumenical Affairs.

  • Corporate body
  • 1958-1971

The Committee on Ecumenical Affairs was established by General Council in 1958 to cultivate an understanding of the ecumenical movement and its relevance to the United Church. Through participation in the Canadian Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches, as well as through direct contact with several Canadian churches and coalitions, the Committee promoted interdenominational cooperation with other Christian denominations and later, other faiths. At the November meeting of the General Council Executive in 1969 the Committee on Ecumenical Affairs submitted the following recommendation: That the work of the following four committees – Ecumenical Affairs, Committee on Union, Protestant-Roman Catholic Relations, Joint Committees of Seven (Presbyterian-United Church) be subsumed into one Committee which would assume the present responsibilities of each Committee and that its name be “The Committee on Inter-Church and Inter-Faith Relations”. The Committee was superseded by the Committee on Inter-Church and Inter-Faith Relations in 1971.

United Church of Canada. Committee on Inter-Church and Inter-Faith Relations.

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-2009

At the November meeting of the General Council Executive in 1969 the Committee on Ecumenical Affairs submitted the following recommendation: That the work of the following four committees – Ecumenical Affairs, Committee on Union, Protestant-Roman Catholic Relations, Joint Committees of Seven (Presbyterian-United Church) be subsumed into one Committee which would assume the present responsibilities of each Committee and that its name be “The Committee on Inter-Church and Inter-Faith Relations”. The Committee was superseded by the Committee on Inter-Church and Inter-Faith Relations in 1971.

The Purpose of the Committee, as stated in 1971, was to “challenge the Church to a vision of ecumenism which includes the whole inhabited world. The committee shall encourage, support, enable, and hold the Church accountable to its role as a sign of reconciliation and renewal among human communities at both the local and global levels. The Committee shall constantly remind the whole church that ecumenism is not an option, but rather, an integral part of its life and witness.”

United Church of Canada. Committee on World Development, Service and Relief.

  • Corporate body

When the work of the Board of World Mission became part of the Division of World Outreach the responsibilities held by two committees under the General Council, the Committee on World Development and Relief and the Committee on Overseas Relief and Inter-Church Aid, were made one under the Division of World Outreach and called the Committee on World Development, Service and Relief, in 1972. The Committee was overseen by a Secretary of the World Development Service and Relief Committee (Glenna Graham, 1976-1979), then an Associate Secretary, Development (Glenna Graham, 1979-1982); then, Development Secretary (Lee Holland, 1986-1996).

In a unit reorganization in 1997, work re development was folded into Education for Engagement, which brought together and integrated the educational work of three former DWO Committees (Development, Interfaith, Mission Education) as part of the implementation of the recommendations of the Division’s Strategic Work Task Group.

United Church of Canada. Division of Finance

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2020

From its founding in 1925 the United Church operated with a unified plan of finance. Funds were raised by a united appeal to the whole church, and were apportioned to various departments of church work from a central fund known briefly as the Maintenance & Extension Fund, from 1926 as the Missionary & Maintenance Fund, and from 1970 as the Mission & Service Fund. In addition to money raised at the congregational and national levels, interest from trusts and estates and ministerial assessments under the annuity plans also went into this central fund.
Church finances were administered until 1942 by the Finance Committee of the General Council, established in 1926 following the expiration of the financial bodies of the uniting churches. The Finance Committee was responsible for the collection and investment of funds, gathering requests for funds from the boards, committees and agencies of the Church, and apportioning these funds. It was also responsible for the General Council Fund, insurance funds and policies, and the general property of the Church not specifically vested in a congregation or board or agency. Accounting, banking and investment duties were carried out by a Treasurer (assisted by a Deputy Treasurer) , who served as Secretary of the Committee.
The promotional work of fund-raising was administered by the Secretary of the Missionary & Maintenance fund and his assistants. These officials worked with the Conferences and local congregations to promote a sense of Christian stewardship throughout the Church. In addition to promoting systematic methods of giving such as weekly offerings and every-person canvassing, M&M staff at the national level created and coordinated special stewardship programmes and campaigns.
The pension funds of the uniting churches were administered by a United Church Pension Fund, the constitution and administrative board for which became operational in 1929. Due to the nature of the pension and provident funds established by the predecessor churches, the United Church Pension Fund did not become the sole pension branch of the church until 1990.
In 1942 a Board of Finance was established with three departments: Department of the Treasury, Department of Missionary & Maintenance, and Department of Pensions. The Board was composed of a chairman, the secretaries of the three departments as well as the secretary of the General Council, representatives of various boards of the church as well as representatives of the Conferences and non-ministerial members of the General Council. Each of the departments maintained their own boards and executives, with Treasury assuming much of the responsibility for budget preparation and accounting handled by the former Finance Committee. It should be noted however, that all final decisions on budgetary allocations remained with the Executive of the General Council.
In 1968 the Board of Finance became the Division of Finance, and in the same year Missionary & Maintenance became the Department of Stewardship Services. It now had responsibility for promoting the methods of stewardship throughout the whole church (in cooperation with the Committee on Education for Mission and Stewardship within the Division of Communications), and took on the additional duties of the Committee for Directed Programmes (the former Capital Funds Service), and the Office of Special Gifts and Bequests, as well as maintaining its primary responsibility for meeting the requirements of the Unified Budget Plan. In 1970 the Missionary & Maintenance fund was renamed the Mission & Service Fund. The final institutional alteration in the Division took place in 1985 when the Department of Pensions was renamed the Department of Pensions and Group Insurance.
During the reorganization of the General Council Office in 2001, the duties of the Division of Finance were separated into two parts: Financial Services (investments, revenue, expenditure, budget & reporting, facility services) and Financial Stewardship (annual/future revenue generation, bulletin cover production).The Permanent Committee on Finance, a committee of the General Council, was also created and is responsible for overseeing and monitoring the financial life and policies of the General Council, including assets, income, expenditures, considerations of its short-and long-term financial issues, risk management, and investment and fund management; overseeing long-term financial planning of the General Council, recommending the overall expenditure and income budgets to the Executive; monitoring income, expenditures, assets, liabilities and capital initiatives and reporting them regularly to the Executive and recommending financial strategies. Also in 2002, the United Church of Canada Foundation was created as an arm’s length body that is expert in the management of trusts and endowments that support the work of the Church. In 2009, Financial Services became the Finance Department and Stewardship Services work was transferred to the newly created Philanthropy Unit.

United Church of Canada. Division of World Outreach.

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-2001

The Division of World Outreach was created by General Council in 1972 out of the Board of World Mission and became operational in July 1973. The new Division promoted mutuality in mission and interdenominational cooperation; it divided its administrative framework into geographic areas, including Africa, Asia, Latin America, Caribbean, South Asia and Pacific.

In 2001 as part of a General Council structure reorganization, Division of World Outreach became part of the newly formed Justice, Global and Ecumenical Relations unit.

United Church of Canada. Division of World Outreach. Africa Desk.

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-2001

Until 1976, first as an Associate Secretary and then as Secretary, Garth Legge had responsibility for Africa, the Caribbean, and Latin America. James A. Kirkwood first reported as Associate Secretary for Africa in 1977, with Garth Legge continuing to have responsibility for the Caribbean and Latin America. From 1988 to 1993, Paula J. Butler and Jim Kirkwood shared the roles of Africa Area Secretaries, followed by Omega Bula and Paula Butler (1994-1995), Omega Bula and Lee Holland (1996-2002). Under the major reorganization of 2002, work related to Africa was moved to the Justice, Global and Ecumenical Relations Unit.

United Church of Canada. Division of World Outreach. Asia and Pacific Desk.

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-2001

The Asia Area comprised of Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, India, Nepal, and Taiwan in 1972 but the boundaries were continually altered since that time. E. Frank Carey, an Associate Secretary and then Deputy Secretary, was responsible for Asia until 1984. In 1985 the Asia and Pacific Area Secretary first reported; at times the responsibilities for this area were divided between two Area Secretaries--for East Asia, and for South Asia and Pacific. During this period cooperation with other churches (both native and foreign) and mutuality in mission were important. Area Secretaries for East Asia 1985 have included Rhea M. Whitehead, 1984-1991 and Nancy (Nan) Hudson, 1992-2000 while Jack G. Lakavich, 1988-1995 and Bruce Gregersen, 1996-2001 have served as Area Secretaries for South Asia and Pacific.

United Church of Canada. Division of World Outreach. Caribbean and Latin America Desk.

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-2001

Garth Legge, first as an Associate Secretary and then as Secretary, was responsible for Africa, the Carribbean, and Latin America until 1977 when an Associate Secretary for Africa first reported. He continued to have responsibility for the Caribbean and Latin America Area until 1983. From 1984-2002 the Area was the responsibility of an Associate Secretary (1984) or Area Secretary (from 1985). Associate Secretaries were Rev. Thomas C. Edmonds, 1984-1990; Rev. Christopher Ferguson, 1991-1998 and Jim Hodgson, 2000-2001. Under the major reorganization of 2002, work related to Caribbean and Latin America was moved to the Justice, Global and Ecumenical Relations Unit.

Results 1 to 20 of 33