Title and statement of responsibility area
Abbott Brothers Carriage Works fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Abbott Brother's Carriage Works
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Samuel William Abbott (born 1840) and Hodson Gunning Abbot (born 1841) were brothers from Castlebar, Ireland. Their parents were Alexander Samuel Abbott and Dorinda (née Ruxton) Abbott. They were Wesleyan Methodists. The family moved to London, Ontario, Canada and began Abbott Brother’s Carriage Works, manufacturing carriages and delivery wagons. The company was located at 308-316 Dundas Street.
In 1864, Hodson Gunning Abbott married Elizabeth Beattie and they had five children together. Elizabeth died in 1872. He remarried Emily Hunt in 1876 and they had several children before Emily died in 1901. He remarried a final time in 1910 to Eva Mae Francis. Hodson Gunning Abbott and his family lived at the company buildings.
Samuel William Abbott married Maria Louisa Cohoon in 1870. He started the carriage company with his brother but eventually left the company around 1883 to work as a bookkeeper for McCormick Manufacturing Co. After he left, the company mostly went by H.G. Abbott Carriage Company.
In 1883, Hodson Gunning Abbott’s son, Frederick A. Abbott (born 1865) also began to work for the carriage company and boarded separately from the family in the company buildings. He worked mostly as a painter. By 1886, he had stopped working for the company in order to attend school and became an elocution professor in 1890.
In 1887, Hodson Gunning Abbott’s son, William Abbott (born 1869) became the new painter for the carriage company. By 1900, he had become the manager. After Hodson Gunning Abbott’s death in 1921, he took over the company.
The company ceased operations in 1925.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of business records used by Abbott Brother’s Carriage Works. This includes the company’s order book, accounts and handbill, and illustrations and diagrams. For a detailed transcription of contents, see the preliminary finding aid.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Uploaded finding aid
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail