Title and statement of responsibility area
3 Wing fonds
General material designation
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canada. Canadian Armed Forces. Wing, 3
Physical description area
1 digital video disc (DVD) (18 min, 14 s) : b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
3 Wing is located at the Canadian Forces Base Bagotville, which was built in July 1942 to provide a training base for pilots. Closed at the end of the war, the station was reopened in 1951 as a training base for the squadrons serving with the Canadian Division in Europe and to support the air defence operations of the newly formed Canadian and American forces that would become NORAD in 1958.
Following implementation of the Wing concept in the Air Force, 3 Wing served in succession at Zweibrücken, Germany, from 1952 to 1968 and at Lahr from 1988 to 1992, and was reconstituted at Bagotville on 1 April 1993.
As of 2002, 3 Wing Bagotville plays a determinant role in the surveillance, protection and, if need be, the defence of the continental territory of North America, under the provision of the NORAD agreement. Its members participate, through the deployment of its CF-18 fighters, in operations aimed at stopping the illegal import by air of illicit drugs and other contraband into Canada. To perform this mission effectively and quickly, 425 and 433 Tactical Fighter Squadrons have been equipped since the 1980s with the CF-18 Hornet, an aircraft renowned for its manoeuvrability and versatility.
At the international level, 3 Wing is able to provide a multi-role and deployable fighter force capable of meeting international contingency missions assigned to it by the government of Canada. More specifically, 3 Wing provides, along with 4 Wing in Cold Lake, Alberta, a squadron ready to serve as a rapid air reinforcement force to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Fonds was previously owned by the Air Defence Museum, 3 Wing. It was donated by the curator, Claude Chamberland to Bill Rawling.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of one DVD copy of “The Alouette at War”, produced by the Visual Education Centre for the Department of National Defence in 1971. The film uses archival film footage from the Second World War to present a brief summary of the Alouette Squadron’s, or 425 Squadron’s activities during the Second World War. The film is about 18 minutes in length.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds received from Bill Rawling on 1 February 2012.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The digital video disk (DVD) is stored with the other compact and computer disks in the Vault. Permission to view the disk must be obtained from the Chief Archivist.
The following related record may be found in the Permanent Reference Collection:
PRF Wing, 3
No further accruals are expected.