Title and statement of responsibility area
12 Militia Group fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00093 98/39
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
65 cm of textual records
approx. 440 photographs : b&w ; 25.5 x 21.5 cm or smaller
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
12 Militia Group fell under the Eastern Ontario Area, part of Central Command. With the reorganization of the Canadian Militia in September 1954, M. B. Gordon was given command of 12th Militia Group, which he held until he was replaced by E. D. Baldock in May 1955. Baldock was in turn succeeded George G. Aldous, on 1 Feb 1960. In May of 1964, the 12th Militia Group consisted of 14 units - 11 of which were stationed in Ottawa - and the others being the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment, with headquarters at Pembroke, and detached companies in Renfrew, Perth and Carleton Place; the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, with headquarters in Cornwall and a detached company at Alexandria; and the 9th Medical company, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, also at Cornwall. The units in Ottawa were the following: IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards; 30th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA); 3rd Field Squadron, Royal Canadian Engineers (RCE); 3rd Signals Regiment, Royal Canadian Signals (RCS); The Governor-General's Foot Guards; Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa; 130 Company, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC); 10th Medical Company, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC); 54th Dental Unit, Royal Canadian Dental Corps (RCDC); 3rd Ordnance Company, Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps (RCOC); and 113 Manning Depot. In November 1964, Minister of Defence Paul Hellyer announced significant changes to the Canadian militia following the report of the Suttie Commission on the downsizing of the reserves. One of the many units cut was the 12th Militia Group Headquarters.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of files from 12 Militia Group Headquarters and IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards squadrons in Ottawa, Prescott and Smiths Falls. The materials document the typical activities of the militia in the 1950s and early 1960s. File lists found with Series II, III and IV indicate that these materials have been stripped and retained whereas other files appearing on these lists were destroyed. File titles indicate general topics of files and these are varied. Most textual material consists of correspondence and memoranda. There are three scrapbooks, one of which consists of pictures, and the other two of newspaper clippings pertaining to 12 Militia Group. Most of the pictures have brief captions describing their contents. There are six series, as follows:
I: 12 Militia Group Headquarters files
II: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Ottawa files
III: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Prescott. "C" Squadron file
IV: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Smiths Falls. "D" Squadron files
V: Files relating to Princess Alice's visit to Present New Regimental Standard
VI: Pictures and Scrapbooks relating to 12 Militia Group
Immediate source of acquisition
The immediate source of acquisition is unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Most files are unclassified. The finding aid indicates the classification of each file.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copies of the finding aid are located in the first file of the fonds and in the Reading Room at the Directorate of History and Heritage. Electronic copies are also available.
No further accruals are expected.
A small portion of the newspaper clippings are in French.
Other materials at the Directorate of History and Heritage that may be of particular interest for researchers inquiring about 4 Princess Louise Dragoon Guards in the post-War period include the following: 89/222, R.D. Abbott fonds. 5 cm of textual records dealing mainly with rescue tactics and national survival techniques taught to militia members during the early 1960's. 141.4A4013 (D2), Historical sketch on 4 PLDG (4th Armd C Regt), 1872-1949, 04 May 1950 325.009 (D533), Correspondence & report regarding organization of "C" Sqn PLDG at Prescott, ON, Sep-Nov 1948.
The contents of a large black scrapbook on the Ottawa Garrison have been removed from the original scrapbook and each page has been stored in a separate acid-free folder. The original scrapbook has been destroyed.
The contents of two other scrapbooks, consisting of newspaper clippings, have been photocopied to ensure longer preservation.